• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Let us know what you think; I've been on the fence given the utterly savage reviews.

Will do.

Tweaked my post a bit to stay within posting guidelines 

1 hour ago, sagii said:

The savage reviews by the critics and personal opinions / feelings about LeBron had me nervous,  but an enduring pop culture fixture is just that! Long live the Looney Tunes :luhv:

Going to check it out tonight 

Screenshot_20210717-135936_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sounds horrible.  Cant get myself to watch..  MJ is the THE GOAT

7 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Sounds horrible.  Cant get myself to watch..  MJ is the THE GOAT

People who love the original have their reservations about this one. Hard to belive it is a generational thing to some degree (it's been 20 plus years).

MJ purists will be MJ purists and I can't haggle over that. :foryou:

I'm a Looney Tunes purists so those movies mean nothing to me. When it was revealed LJ was a rapist, I let him go the same way I did Jack Kerouac. Dude would get in his car and go look for dogs to run over and kill. Makes him a grocery sack full of scatter to me. It doesn't matter what you did previously or subsequently. Do that and you are sub-human. Same with rape.

So, was looking at the Bay, and discovered somebody claiming Looney Tunes #91 was the first appearance of Wile E. Coyote (as Kelsey Coyote).  On the face of this, this seems wrong, not just for the obvious complaints, but because the issue is cover dated May 1949- several months before Wile E. made his debut on September 17, 1949, in Fast and Furry-ous.  (Which turns 72 just this week, a neat coincidence.)  But the seller even got CGC to recognize it on the cover, so I thought I should pull my copy out just in case.

To my surprise, it's a far better argument argument than I expected.  Given the time frame, the cartoon had to be well into production when the comic was created, and they were clearly using Wile's model sheet for the design in the comic.  Given the difference in name, attitude, and environment, it's NOT Wile in my opinion... but it is the first appearance of the classic Looney Tunes Coyote design, predating even Fast and Furry-ous.  So it deserves some attention, I think... I'm just not sure how much.  Significantly less than the $549 the seller is trying to get for a 5.0, certainly; but it probably should be broken out of the run.

What do others think?

img057.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

On 9/13/2021 at 3:27 AM, OtherEric said:

So, was looking at the Bay, and discovered somebody claiming Looney Tunes #91 was the first appearance of Wile E. Coyote (as Kelsey Coyote).  On the face of this, this seems wrong, not just for the obvious complaints, but because the issue is cover dated May 1949- several months before Wile E. made his debut on September 17, 1949, in Fast and Furry-ous.  (Which turns 72 just this week, a neat coincidence.)  But the seller even got CGC to recognize it on the cover, so I thought I should pull my copy out just in case.

To my surprise, it's a far better argument argument than I expected.  Given the time frame, the cartoon had to be well into production when the comic was created, and they were clearly using Wile's model sheet for the design in the comic.  Given the difference in name, attitude, and environment, it's NOT Wile in my opinion... but it is the first appearance of the classic Looney Tunes Coyote design, predating even Fast and Furry-ous.  So it deserves some attention, I think... I'm just not sure how much.  Significantly less than the $549 the seller is trying to get for a 5.0, certainly; but it probably should be broken out of the run.

What do others think?

img057.jpg

Wow, what a discovery! And I would go with 'prototype' instead of 1st appearance. Many books in the Looney Tunes universe need to be broken out in Overstreet. Had a list, just haven't taken the time to dig it up again and compose a strong 'argument' email to Overstreet and CGC (for label notations as well).

Think I know how part of my next day off will go.

(And Boardies, come on, you don't have to collect these particular books to have opinions on these matters concerning iconic characters. Jump In here lurkers :hi:

Edited by sagii

On 10/1/2021 at 9:32 AM, sagii said:

Silver age (out the same year as AF15) but posting here in Looney central , A one-shot, Taz never got a crack at full run, so a gem all the more!

Tasmanian Devil & His Tasty Friends #1.jpeg

I love the expressions.  Daffy looks terrified, Tweety looks worried, Bugs has his "exaggerated boredom just prior to casually getting out of the mess" look.

On 10/1/2021 at 1:17 PM, OtherEric said:

I love the expressions.  Daffy looks terrified, Tweety looks worried, Bugs has his "exaggerated boredom just prior to casually getting out of the mess" look.

lol That about sums it up

..you just know Bugs is gonna turn the tables (:

On 10/3/2021 at 12:18 PM, Robot Man said:

I don’t buy a whole lot of these but this one was in a pile I scored yesterday. Never seen it before. Love it!

F24A9A50-907D-44D6-91EF-DDFAB1A9174B.jpeg

Grossly under appreciated as Bugs Bunny was so popular he was made an actual honorary Marine. This comic book commemorates that honor bestowed upon him, after the classic short "Super-Rabbit". 

On 10/5/2021 at 8:16 AM, Jayman said:

Finally scored a copy of this book. It’s been posted before by others but nobody has ever mentioned how wonderfully thick and glossy it actually is! Right on season too!

Bugs Bunny's Halloween Parade # 1.jpg

Bugs Bunny's Halloween Parade # 1 Back.jpg

Looks as if the inks are still wet. :golfclap:

Outstanding score and one of the best cartoon character comic book covers 

On 10/5/2021 at 10:10 AM, sagii said:

Looks as if the inks are still wet. :golfclap:

Outstanding score and one of the best cartoon character comic book covers 

And it’s waiting to be posted in your annual Halloween thread when you decide to resurrect it! :banana:

**NOT MY BOOK**

Wowza!! While this issue has always been recognized as a GA key copies in this grade usually cap around the 5 to 6k range. 

Finally collectors are realizing these characters have been mainstays for decades not falling into the trivia question character category. Debate whether Space Jam 2 disappointed or not (what studio has not been bringing in less than desired /anticipated results since 2019) the opening weekend streaming and b.ox office numbers were very healthy. All that was to point out big money is still being poured into the property. So happy to see this, but I think my waiting around for the 'right' copy may/will have 'cost' me in more ways than one :ohnoez:

Screenshot_20211123-124846_Chrome.jpg

On 11/23/2021 at 10:05 AM, sagii said:

**NOT MY BOOK**

Wowza!! While this issue has always been recognized as a GA key copies in this grade usually cap around the 5 to 6k range. 

Finally collectors are realizing these characters have been mainstays for decades not falling into the trivia question character category. Debate whether Space Jam 2 disappointed or not (what studio has not been bringing in less than desired /anticipated results since 2019) the opening weekend streaming and b.ox office numbers were very healthy. All that was to point out big money is still being poured into the property. So happy to see this, but I think my waiting around for the 'right' copy may/will have 'cost' me in more ways than one :ohnoez:

Screenshot_20211123-124846_Chrome.jpg

I know a guy who had (and might still have) a bound volume of #1-12 in awesome shape. Pre-covid, I saw it at a couple of shows and really wanted to pull the trigger. Problem is he wanted more than double what they would bring if un-bound so I reluctantly passed. Might be a bargain now...(shrug)

On 11/23/2021 at 2:10 PM, Robot Man said:

I know a guy who had (and might still have) a bound volume of #1-12 in awesome shape. Pre-covid, I saw it at a couple of shows and really wanted to pull the trigger. Problem is he wanted more than double what they would bring if un-bound so I reluctantly passed. Might be a bargain now...(shrug)

Wow, cool story. Bound volumes seem to be gaining in more collector interest.