• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,062 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, sagii said:

I low balled on this one last week thinking it would be an undervalued overlooked gem. 

Went way past what I expected. And I'm.happy to see that even though I wasn't the winner. 

I believe it is the only goldenage cover Yosemite Sam appeared on. Though his mustache is miscolered :yeehaw:

Screenshot_20220307-101646_Chrome.jpg

:whatthe:

That one just went on my want list, I hadn't realized it about the cover.

The book does tie for highest graded on the census, but I suspect whoever bid that much may be high.

(notices issue number)

Whoever bid that much is DEFINITELY high. :nyah:

On 3/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, sagii said:

I low balled on this one last week thinking it would be an undervalued overlooked gem. 

Went way past what I expected. And I'm.happy to see that even though I wasn't the winner. 

I believe it is the only goldenage (front) cover Yosemite Sam appeared on. Though his mustache is miscolered :yeehaw:

Screenshot_20220307-101646_Chrome.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised at this one too. So, only 2 total Sam GA covers, correct? One front and one back?

On 3/10/2022 at 10:12 PM, IngelsFan said:

I was pleasantly surprised at this one too. So, only 2 total Sam GA covers, correct? One front and one back?

Yes, that is my count: This issue which he's featured on the front of, and Four Color #187 (4/44) which predates this one where he's in the back cover story panels. That issue is also credited by some sources as his first comic appearance but haven't been able to confirm that . 

On 3/10/2022 at 10:17 PM, sagii said:

Yes, that is my count: This issue which he's featured on the front of, and Four Color #187 (4/44) which predates this one where he's in the back cover story panels. That issue is also credited by some sources as his first comic appearance but haven't been able to confirm that . 

His appearance in 187 is an odd one. He looks more recognizable in the interior story, but on the back cover Bugs calls him Yosemite Sam. Inside he’s called Scuttlebutt Sam but it’s definitely him. Here’s the interior page where we first see him and the top of the back page where he is referred to by name. I love this thread-there’s SO much unexplored content in these books!

2F63B3C0-70D2-4CF0-A7DC-B038279D5A7E.jpeg

D21FE3FB-CCE6-4BDF-8B02-4CAFD8E62F32.jpeg

Edited by IngelsFan

On 3/11/2022 at 8:21 AM, IngelsFan said:

His appearance in 187 is an odd one. He looks more recognizable in the interior story, but on the back cover Bugs calls him Yosemite Sam. Inside he’s called Scuttlebutt Sam but it’s definitely him. Here’s the interior page where we first see him and the top of the back page where he is referred to by name. I love this thread-there’s SO much unexplored content in these books!

2F63B3C0-70D2-4CF0-A7DC-B038279D5A7E.jpeg

D21FE3FB-CCE6-4BDF-8B02-4CAFD8E62F32.jpeg

:applause:Thanks for posting!

And i couldn't agree more! Together we Tune Heads will get all the designations and notations duly noted! 

On 3/22/2022 at 11:26 AM, Robot Man said:

Lordy! Really? What is happening out there? (No knock on Porky but 10+Gs for that book)

Hard to believe I am even priced out on Dells now…

On high grade, yes, Dells will likely follow the trend of others (:

On 3/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, Robot Man said:

Lordy! Really? What is happening out there? (No knock on Porky but 10+Gs for that book)

Hard to believe I am even priced out on Dells now…

That issue has always been an outlier because of Barks, I'm not sure how much it tells us about the Looney Tunes characters in general.

Still an impressive result.

Blizzard has a nice run of early Looney Tunes on the bay right now. I am not a collector of this title but have picked up many over the years. So many beautiful and classic covers. Very tempted to pick up a few more. Although, I think the ship might be sailing fast even on these…

On 6/21/2022 at 1:49 PM, Robot Man said:

Blizzard has a nice run of early Looney Tunes on the bay right now. I am not a collector of this title but have picked up many over the years. So many beautiful and classic covers. Very tempted to pick up a few more. Although, I think the ship might be sailing fast even on these…

I saw that, have many of those, but watching one.

They are catching fire across the board for early and cool cover issues (not just the Keys anymore).