• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

So, was looking at the listings for Four Color 918, since it's on my want list at the moment, and it seems likely it's the real first appearance of the Road Runner in comics even if the Vacation Parade story is first in story order.

Was wondering which was the outlier:  The low grade copies, or the slabbed 7.0.  Because I can NOT make the prices reconcile in my head, unless there's just that much of a premium on books that hit upper mid grade with the Four Colors in general:

Clipboard01.jpg

On 9/25/2022 at 1:03 PM, OtherEric said:

So, was looking at the listings for Four Color 918, since it's on my want list at the moment, and it seems likely it's the real first appearance of the Road Runner in comics even if the Vacation Parade story is first in story order.

Was wondering which was the outlier:  The low grade copies, or the slabbed 7.0.  Because I can NOT make the prices reconcile in my head, unless there's just that much of a premium on books that hit upper mid grade with the Four Colors in general:

Clipboard01.jpg

Can't remember when but HA also sold a Four Color 918 (earlier this year?) slabbed for about the same amount this eBay copy sold for. I think the raws folks were iffy about bidding it up? 

That vacation funnies was my under copy, recently scored a better raw copy I will slab. Also have doubles of the Looney Tunes that ties with Daffy 27 as first Pepe. I will post one of them on eBay sometime this week. 

On 10/1/2022 at 6:31 AM, sagii said:

Can't remember when but HA also sold a Four Color 918 (earlier this year?) slabbed for about the same amount this eBay copy sold for. I think the raws folks were iffy about bidding it up? 

That vacation funnies was my under copy, recently scored a better raw copy I will slab. Also have doubles of the Looney Tunes that ties with Daffy 27 as first Pepe. I will post one of them on eBay sometime this week. 

I think it was the same book, they sold a 7.0 late last year for $660... and there's only one 7.0 on the census.  I really don't get the BIN of 9.99 given that the listing says it's complete.  I suppose I'll find out when it finally arrives, they took almost a week to send it.

We really should put together a definitive list of the first appearances, I think we've discussed most of them.  But they're scattered all over the thread.

On 10/1/2022 at 2:00 PM, OtherEric said:

I think it was the same book, they sold a 7.0 late last year for $660... and there's only one 7.0 on the census.  I really don't get the BIN of 9.99 given that the listing says it's complete.  I suppose I'll find out when it finally arrives, they took almost a week to send it.

We really should put together a definitive list of the first appearances, I think we've discussed most of them.  But they're scattered all over the thread.

Agreed! @Scrooge could be a big help as well. Waaaaay over due, then we can request CGC put these designations on the labels 

Starting to work on a list of first appearances, step #1 will be "Figure out what Looney Tunes characters are important enough to list", then I'll start tracking their first comic appearances.  I hope to have an initial list of characters in a day or so for people to critique.

On to today's books.  I actually already have a copy of 838, it was actually my first ever Four Color issue.  But a) I can't find it, and b) it's the ad back cover variant.  So was worth a few bucks to get another copy.  And the 1046 will come in handy the next time somebody asks me what foxing is. (:

FC_0498.jpg

FC_0524.jpg

FC_0628.jpg

FC_0838.jpg

FC_1046.jpg

@OtherEric Looking forward to that list. 

Subset lists i'd like to explore after for Overtstreet and CGC label notations are:

Covers that can be considered classic/notable

Four Color books that count as #1 (or one-shots). 

First cover appearances

And the golden age giveaways (aside from March of Comics which ran longer and into the 80's or at least late 70's i believe). 

Edited by sagii

On 10/4/2022 at 6:10 PM, sagii said:

@OtherEric Looking forward to that list. 

Subset lists i'd like to explore after for Overtstreet and CGC label notations are:

Covers that can be considered classic/notable

Four Color books that count as #1 (or one-shots). 

First cover appearances

And the golden age giveaways (aside from March of Comics which ran longer and into the 80's or at least late 70's i believe). 

Here's step #1:  Steal the character list from Wikipedia, remove a couple names I don't consider worth bothering with, and add a couple that I feel do deserve mention.  Removal examples: I don't think Penelope Pussycat or K9 warrant mention outside of Pepe or Marvin the Martian's orbit, for example... and I'm reasonably sure neither of them appear in comics until much later, if at all.  Pretty sure Marvin doesn't show until the bronze age at the earliest, if not the DC run, but he deserves his spot on the list.  Addition examples:  Bosko and Ralph Phillips.  Bosko didn't show up in comics until after he was no longer with Warner Brothers, but I think he might count as the first LT character in comics with the Funnies #30.  I'm not sure if there was ever a Ralph Phillips comic appearance, but I like the character too much to not have them on the list.

Anyway, here's my initial list of characters, I'm basically looking for feedback on anybody who should be added to or removed from the list.  In general, I think we should err in favor of inclusiveness, although as seen above even then I'm not sure some names need to be on the list.  If the character didn't make a GA or SA appearance that we can determine we can later remove them from the master list unless they're major, like Marvin the Martian.  Once we have that we can start nailing down first appearances, first cover appearances, first solo books (both as part of the Four Color series and as separate titles), and first headlining appearances, instead of as a supporting character or guest in somebody else's story.  Thank you all in advance.

Barnyard Dawg

Beaky Buzzard

Bosko

Buddy

Bugs Bunny

Blacque Jacque Shellacque

Cecil Turtle

Charlie Dog

Colonel Shuffle

Daffy Duck

Duck Dodgers

Elmer Fudd

Foghorn Leghorn

Claude Cat

Mac and Tash

Gossamer

Granny

Hector the Bulldog

Henery Hawk

Hubie and Bertie

Hugo the Abominable Snowman

Lola Bunny

Marc Antony and Pussyfoot

Marvin the Martian

Melissa Duck

Michigan J. Frog

Nasty Canasta

Playboy Penguin

Penelope Pussycat

Pepé Le Pew

Pete Puma

Petunia Pig

Porky Pig

Ralph Phillips

Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog

Road Runner

Rocky and Mugsy

Slowpoke Rodriguez

Sniffles

Speedy Gonzales

Sylvester the Cat

Spike the Bulldog and Chester the Terrier

Tasmanian Devil

Tweety

Wile E. Coyote

Witch Hazel

Yosemite Sam    

And one final question for anybody who makes it this far:  does Duck Dodgers deserve a separate spot on the list from Daffy in general?  That's the only persona I can think of that would deserve a separate, distinct entry from the main character... and even then I don't think they showed until the DC era, although I could be wrong.

Edited by OtherEric
added names

On 10/6/2022 at 2:25 AM, OtherEric said:

Here's step #1:  Steal the character list from Wikipedia, remove a couple names I don't consider worth bothering with, and add a couple that I feel do deserve mention.  Removal examples: I don't think Penelope Pussycat or K9 warrant mention outside of Pepe or Marvin the Martian's orbit, for example... and I'm reasonably sure neither of them appear in comics until much later, if at all.  Pretty sure Marvin doesn't show until the bronze age at the earliest, if not the DC run, but he deserves his spot on the list.  Addition examples:  Bosko and Ralph Phillips.  Bosko didn't show up in comics until after he was no longer with Warner Brothers, but I think he might count as the first LT character in comics with the Funnies #30.  I'm not sure if there was ever a Ralph Phillips comic appearance, but I like the character too much to not have them on the list.

Anyway, here's my initial list of characters, I'm basically looking for feedback on anybody who should be added to or removed from the list.  In general, I think we should err in favor of inclusiveness, although as seen above even then I'm not sure some names need to be on the list.  If the character didn't make a GA or SA appearance that we can determine we can later remove them from the master list unless they're major, like Marvin the Martian.  Once we have that we can start nailing down first appearances, first cover appearances, first solo books (both as part of the Four Color series and as separate titles), and first headlining appearances, instead of as a supporting character or guest in somebody else's story.  Thank you all in advance.

Barnyard Dawg

Beaky Buzzard

Bosko

Buddy

Bugs Bunny

Blacque Jacque Shellacque

Cecil Turtle

Charlie Dog

Colonel Shuffle

Daffy Duck

Elmer Fudd

Foghorn Leghorn

Claude Cat

Mac and Tash

Gossamer

Granny

Hector the Bulldog

Henery Hawk

Hubie and Bertie

Hugo the Abominable Snowman

Lola Bunny

Marc Antony and Pussyfoot

Marvin the Martian

Melissa Duck

Michigan J. Frog

Nasty Canasta

Playboy Penguin

Pepé Le Pew

Pete Puma

Petunia Pig

Porky Pig

Ralph Phillips

Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog

Road Runner

Rocky and Mugsy

Slowpoke Rodriguez

Sniffles

Speedy Gonzales

Sylvester the Cat

Spike the Bulldog and Chester the Terrier

Tasmanian Devil

Tweety

Wile E. Coyote

Witch Hazel

Yosemite Sam    

And one final question for anybody who makes it this far:  does Duck Dodgers deserve a separate spot on the list from Daffy in general?  That's the only persona I can think of that would deserve a separate, distinct entry from the main chara )cter... and even then I don't think they showed until the DC era, although I could be wrong.

Great list (even some i would have missed :D )

Yes Duck Dodgers deserves a spot on the list (even a mention of Daffy's 1st headlining story within the LTMM series, as he wasn't utilized much on the covers during the golden age).

I vote that Penelope deserves a nod, even if it didn't come until the DC series. Very important element to the shorts she appears in.

Glad to see Lola made the list. The character has two bands of loyal followers (cosplay women of all ages), and the other, well lets leave that one alone (:.

Some evidence going by appearances alone, Honey Bunny was a prototype of sorts.

Edited by sagii

On 10/6/2022 at 7:02 AM, sagii said:

Great list (even some i would have missed :D )

Yes Duck Dodgers deserves a spot on the list (even a mention of Daffy's 1st headlining story within the LTMM series, as he wasn't utilized much on the covers during the golden age).

I vote that Penelope deserves a nod, even if it didn't come until the DC series. Very important element to the shorts she appears in.

Glad to see Lola made the list. The character has two bands of loyal followers (cosplay women of all ages), and the other, well lets leave that one alone (:.

Some evidence going by appearances alone, Honey Bunny was a prototype of sorts.

Like I said, I pretty much stole the list right from Wikipedia as a starting point.   Per your comments I've added Penelope and Duck Dodgers to the list again.

I was already planning to mention the 1st Honey as a Lola prototype when I got to that stage.

Edited by OtherEric

Finally in today.  If this is what the seller considers fair/ good I'll take all they've got, looks closer to a VG to me.  On the pricing front, there's an 8.0 on the bay right now for $595 BIN... I wonder how long that will last.

FC_0918.jpg

I would have found one that was just the Road Runner credits, but this is the version I grew up with.

Edited by OtherEric