• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

And, just in time for the holiday, the last three Bugs Bunny Christmas/ Winter Giants:

BBCF8a_zpslqpzkf8h.jpg

BBCF8b_zpsi2lrlhcq.jpg

BBCF9a_zps9sxtz96p.jpg

BBCF9b_zps7l3oeuql.jpg

Sadly, my copy of the Winter Fun giant is the variant with an ad on the back cover, so only the front cover this time:

BBWF_zpscsecju3k.jpg

Got a handful of Looney Tunes issues from Lone Star today as my gift to myself; I may post a few in a few days. 210 down, 36 to go... and I also got Bugs Halloween Parade #1, which was the last Bugs Giant I needed.

Oh, a quick question on the Bugs Bunny Giants, in case anybody knows:

Do Bugs Bunny's Vacation Funnies 6 and 8 have variants without ads on the back cover? I know The Winter Fun issue does, and am looking for it at least somewhat; I'm not sure on the Vacation 6 and 8. Those are the only 3 where I have the ad on the back cover versions, or at least where the ad version is my only copy.

And, just in time for the holiday, the last three Bugs Bunny Christmas/ Winter Giants:

BBCF8a_zpslqpzkf8h.jpg

BBCF8b_zpsi2lrlhcq.jpg

BBCF9a_zps9sxtz96p.jpg

BBCF9b_zps7l3oeuql.jpg

Sadly, my copy of the Winter Fun giant is the variant with an ad on the back cover, so only the front cover this time:

BBWF_zpscsecju3k.jpg

Got a handful of Looney Tunes issues from Lone Star today as my gift to myself; I may post a few in a few days. 210 down, 36 to go... and I also got Bugs Halloween Parade #1, which was the last Bugs Giant I needed.

Ah, NOW it feels like Christmas for me! Thanks for posting these and way to go on almost completing your run :applause:

The Bugs Bunny Winter Fun has always been a favorite cover of mine :cloud9: Your copy is a beauty.

And any time you feel like posting any of your other recent grabs please do sir. Heck, i've got a Wabbit or two in a hat to pull out down the road too in 2016.

As for the back covers on said issues, i have only seen ad cover versions of those books myself. But personally i've been more of a fan of the Christmas, Halloween issues than the Vacation series so who knows? I'm not knowledgeable on Dell as a whole as a publisher to know for sure if variants exist on those for certain.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Sagii

Nice one Sagii ! Nice to see stuff like that. It rarely turns up here. My wife is from down under and we visit from time to time. I always hit the flea markets and shops and frequently find GA Ozzie comics and premiums with American characters. They are vintage and in English. So they are a joy to bring home.

Nice one Sagii ! Nice to see stuff like that. It rarely turns up here. My wife is from down under and we visit from time to time. I always hit the flea markets and shops and frequently find GA Ozzie comics and premiums with American characters. They are vintage and in English. So they are a joy to bring home.
Thanks RM! I'm really starting to appreciate these "variants", and yes a plus because they are in English. There is however one Brazilian LTMM comic i'm 'chasing' from the 50's. It's a Christmas cover featuring all the staple (including Daffy, who was rarely featured in the group shot covers on the U.S. comics at that time) in a sleigh.

On another note, early i know, but if you do an Easter themed post in your thread i have something i know you and Yellow Kid will appreciate. It'll have to wait till then though :D

Edited by Sagii

Looney Tunes is an interesting and under appreciated title. Flashback to the pre-Internet days of 1972. I'm a dyed in the wool comics fan and I've got a brand new price guide in my hands. While I've been trolling local flea markets and sales for years that book brings feverish discoveries of unknown treasures. Titles like Color Comics, New Funnies, Our Gang and Looney Tunes! Who knew that such a treasure trove of titles were published before I was born.

This coincided a few months before my first visit to a Seuling con. Upon arrival I was immediately distracted by a dealer with hundreds of beautiful BLB's. Pretty! I resisted that urge but next to that a box contained an issue of Looney Tunes. I couldn't help myself and I plunked down fifty cents for an early sixties issue. Then it was off in search of Barks' treasures; which was my real joy. As a side note I picked up three early fifties issues of WDCS from the Sassamam brothers from PA. Gary Sassaman is still involved with the SDCC I believe.

In the interim I've picked up some mid forties issues of LTMM and I really want to get copies of the early Four Color Bugs. They never quite come up to Barks' work in my estimation but they have charms of their own.

I hope every fan of this thread is reading or planning to read Michael Barrier's Funnybooks which has quite a detailed look at the back story of Dell and Western. The genesis of the early LT book has been quite an interesting an unexpected read!

Looney Tunes is an interesting and under appreciated title. Flashback to the pre-Internet days of 1972. I'm a dyed in the wool comics fan and I've got a brand new price guide in my hands. While I've been trolling local flea markets and sales for years that book brings feverish discoveries of unknown treasures. Titles like Color Comics, New Funnies, Our Gang and Looney Tunes! Who knew that such a treasure trove of titles were published before I was born.

This coincided a few months before my first visit to a Seuling con. Upon arrival I was immediately distracted by a dealer with hundreds of beautiful BLB's. Pretty! I resisted that urge but next to that a box contained an issue of Looney Tunes. I couldn't help myself and I plunked down fifty cents for an early sixties issue. Then it was off in search of Barks' treasures; which was my real joy. As a side note I picked up three early fifties issues of WDCS from the Sassamam brothers from PA. Gary Sassaman is still involved with the SDCC I believe.

In the interim I've picked up some mid forties issues of LTMM and I really want to get copies of the early Four Color Bugs. They never quite come up to Barks' work in my estimation but they have charms of their own.

I hope every fan of this thread is reading or planning to read Michael Barrier's Funnybooks which has quite a detailed look at the back story of Dell and Western. The genesis of the early LT book has been quite an interesting an unexpected read!

Great post! Hope to see you post some of your books here soon too.

Mr. Barks and his amazing work aside, The Looney Tunes comics are under appreciated considering Bugs Bunny is a cultural icon of the first order. Only the second cartoon character (after Mickey)to be honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, at a time when it was harder to obtain such an honor, unlike now where they just seemingly 'give em' out'.

The Looney Tunes are still being marketed today with new shorts, shows and merchandise. That puts them in a rare class of classic cartoon/comic characters over 50 years old (Scooby, Tom and Jerry, Peanuts, Mickey and Co. and of course, DC's big three ) or so that still resonate with today's audience and are still marketed with new ventures among new characters who are the super stars of today. That alone would make you think even if the stories aren't 'classic', it's early collectibles of seemingly ever endurable characters.

I'm only in my mid 40's and i can think of a few cartoon characters who my parents introduced me to and that were still fairly 'popular' in my childhood that are now trivia questions to 20 somethings and under today. Again, no easy feat. Something to marvel at actually.

But i digress lol Thanks for sharing your story and appreciation for these characters here. I will read the book, and look forward to more from you sir!

Edited by Sagii

Thanks RM! I'm really starting to appreciate these "variants", and yes a plus because they are in English. There is however one Brazilian LTMM comic i'm 'chasing' from the 50's. It's a Christmas cover featuring all the staple (including Daffy, who was rarely featured in the group shot covers on the U.S. comics at that time) in a sleigh.

On another note, early i know, but if you do an Easter themed post in your thread i have something i know you and Yellow Kid will appreciate. It'll have to wait till then though :D

I haven't thought that far ahead yet but I will keep that in mind Corey...

Got another of the hard to find promotional Super-Book of Comics (Looney Tunes issues) :cloud9: . This is #22, Omar edition and it features Elmer Fudd. Slight tape pull on the cover, but doesn't interfere with cover art or interior story. This now leaves me with only needing two more issues from the Omar/LT issues to complete the sub set (#2 -Bugs Bunny first of the LT issues in the series, and #30 -Porky Pig last issue in the run) so essentially I need the 'book ends' :D

I'm also looking for the the only promotional Super-Book 'Hancock oil' edition i want , #nn Bugs Bunny 1948 issue that according to Overstreet, does not match(reprint) ANY Omar edition. I have never seen one in person or a picture of the comic. If any one out there has one, PLEASE post it here so I can see it. Er' I mean 'we' :D:wishluck:

And now, front and back cover of said book, and the hilarious Elmer story.

Super-Book%20of%20Comics%20Omar%2022_zpscqbvk1vk.jpg

sbc22-bc_zpsd9ybmcio.jpg

:bump:

While not one of my favorite LTMM characters, Sniffles was one of the earlier stars in the Warners cartoon staple, and i felt my LTMM comic collection wouldn't be complete without this one. Mostly a trivia question character now, this starring issue with comic book partner Mary Jane has some great artwork and stories inside. Didn't need this one in high grade, so thought this My Comic Shop offered copy was decent enough for me.

Four%20Color%20402_zpspvxa76df.jpg

:bump:

While not one of my favorite LTMM characters, Sniffles was one of the earlier stars in the Warners cartoon staple, and i felt my LTMM comic collection wouldn't be complete without this one. Mostly a trivia question character now, this starring issue with comic book partner Mary Jane has some great artwork and stories inside. Didn't need this one in high grade, so thought this My Comic Shop offered copy was decent enough for me.

Four%20Color%20402_zpspvxa76df.jpg

A nice pickup, my copy is in decided need of upgrade... although for reading it's fine other that the obvious flaw:

MJS_402_zps0f0af4ea.jpg

I need to take some exception to your statement, though. If you are saying that Sniffles is not one of your favorite LTMM characters in the cartoons, no argument there. I'm always amazed the character actually had a dozen cartoons, because I can never remember anything about them. But in the comic book, the Sniffles and Mary Jane/ Mary Jane and Sniffles feature is miles and away the best thing in the book most issues. Something about the WB insanity just never quite made it to the comics pages on a regular basis. The Mary Jane & Sniffles feature, while not very much like either the rest of the comic or the WB cartoons, is just one of my all time favorite comic series. It's the major reason I'm trying for the full run of the LT/MM comics. (The other would be the handful of Walt Kelly issues.)

Hey Eric :hi:

Yes, i was stating that Sniffles isn't one of my favorite characters, so as i collect LTMM related comics because of my love for the characters and the comics being early collectibles related to the characters, Sniffles wasn't high on my list as he wasn't a favorite. But seeing as he was an early notable, i felt my collection should feature this solo issue at least as a Warner Bros cartoons/ LTMM fan.

And while i also agree that the brilliance of the shorts didn't always transfer to the comic pages, I did point out that the book has great art and story content. Didn't 'shout out' the run, as my post was centered on this particular issue and (briefly) Sniffles' cartoon background.

But, really the book has some KILLER art (as did many Sniffles stories)! Stories are very cool too!

To the Sniffles feature :applause:

Okay, i'm back peddling on Sniffles (sorta..)

While still not one of my favorite Warner's characters, the comics are pretty good. Figured may as well complete the set of two, and this cover is to die for, as well as the back cover. Snatched it up soon as i saw it in a catalog. Not one of the more common Four Colors imho.

Four%20Color%20474_zpssuy42yh2.jpg

FC474%20bc_zpshdb4s5hy.jpg

The only issue in my collection that has SNIFFLES on the cover...are there any others?

:applause: Cool one Marty, one of the best in the run. Yes he was featured on LT&MM #'s 4, 12 and 14.

He's also on the super rare 'Famous Gang Book of Comics' Firestone Christmas promo cover (which later morphed into the Donald and Mickey X-Mas series)with Bugs and Co.