• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steven Spielberg says the end is near for superhero movies

124 posts in this topic

Steven Spielberg Still Believes The End Is Nigh For Superhero Movies

Over the next few years, we're going to go from two or three superhero movies a year to at least twice that. With Warner Bros. getting in on the action with their DC Extended Universe and Fox launching risky properties like Deadpool and Gambit, the genre is either going to get bigger and better than ever before or fizzle out as moviegoers become fatigued. The latter option is exactly what Steven Spielberg sees happening. However, he said the same thing back in 2013, so has the legendary filmmaker since seen the error of his ways? Nope.

"I still feel that way," he reveals in an interview with The Associated Press. "We were around when the Western died and there will be a time when the superhero movie goes the way of the Western. It doesn't mean there won't be another occasion where the Western comes back and the superhero movie someday returns. Of course, right now the superhero movie is alive and thriving. I'm only saying that these cycles have a finite time in popular culture. There will come a day when the mythological stories are supplanted by some other genre that possibly some young filmmaker is just thinking about discovering for all of us."

arts-graphics-2008_1131552a.jpg

2015, Mister Steven Spielberg pondering the value drop he will experience in his comic

book collection

I'm voting for "going to get bigger and better than ever before" over "fizzle out". Mainly because the tech to finally tell Superhero tales is fairly young. They're just now getting started, with a huge backlog of stories warming up in the bullpen.

If superheroes do fizzle out at the movies it will be because the Gaming/VR world took it away from them. Whoever can link immersive Universe with serial stories will be around for a long, long while. imho. 2c

I'll take mediocre superhero movies to that Crystal Skull he out, any day of the week.
I put the blame more on Lucas than Spielberg on that one. Lucas just wouldn't budge on that awful story.

For awhile there I agreed with Spielberg, but have changed my mind.

What made me change my mind?

DC Comics did.

No not because of their mediocre comic book line, but because their upcoming movies look a lot better than I ever imagined.

DC`s movies look so good that they will make Marvel bring new life into theirs.

I see an epic battle over the next 5 years.

It kind of reminds me of Monday Night Wars when WWE went head to head with WCW.

So in conclusion Stephen Spielberg will be dead wrong.

Comic book movies will go to even higher heights!

:gossip:

Start stocking up on comic movie keys.

seems like he under estimating the breadth of super hero movies when comparing them to westerns. Westerns are more less similar along many lines (most occur in the west in some sort of desert setting during specific time periods) while the super hero type movie has thousands of variations, themes, types, story lines, settings, and of course material to work from. Some of the bigger ones are formulaic sure-- like the Avengers/Thor/Captain America etc-- but he seems to forget the multitude of possible avenues the genre can reach. If Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't a clear indicator of this- I don't know what is. If anything, they have barely scratched the surface of what comics can be made into solid movies that are nothing like previous ones.

seems like he under estimating the breadth of super hero movies when comparing them to westerns. Westerns are more less similar along many lines (most occur in the west in some sort of desert setting during specific time periods) while the super hero type movie has thousands of variations, themes, types, story lines, settings, and of course material to work from. Some of the bigger ones are formulaic sure-- like the Avengers/Thor/Captain America etc-- but he seems to forget the multitude of possible avenues the genre can reach. If Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't a clear indicator of this- I don't know what is. If anything, they have barely scratched the surface of what comics can be made into solid movies that are nothing like previous ones.

Exactly. Superheroes take place in modern times, while westerns took place over a hundred years ago.

The mainstream audience can relate better to superhero movies.

Yeah, what does he know about summer blockbusters and movie trends. (:

Recently? Not much.

Exactly, cough "War of the Worlds" cough.

That is such a terrible film.

The original book by H.G. Wells was awesome, as well as the 1953 flick.

I consider H.G.Wells the godfather of sci-fi.

Yeah, what does he know about summer blockbusters and movie trends. (:

Recently? Not much.

Exactly, cough "War of the Worlds" cough.

That is such a terrible film.

The original book by H.G. Wells was awesome, as well as the 1953 flick.

I consider H.G.Wells the godfather of sci-fi.

I concur.

Exactly. Superheroes take place in modern times, while westerns took place over a hundred years ago.

someone begs to differ

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8796756&fpart=1

someone begs to differ

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8796756&fpart=1

:)

What can I say?

These changed my mind.

I don't see it fizzing out, simply because superhero movies are what makes going to the movies exciting. We started off really just trying to get a superhero on the screen in the first place, then came them fighting their major villains, now superheros are fighting each other, they are evolving. I feel that it's only going to get better. Go the way of the western? Westerns are and have always been boring.

SUCH a fanboy centric view ;)

Superhero movies won't be as popular as they are now forever.

That being said I really don't think that "superhero" is really the larger trend.

The larger trend is to make movies with built in audiences. Movies about comic characters fit that bill but so do movies about popular video games (Warcraft, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil), toys (Lego, GI Joe, Transformers), frickin' anything... D&D, whatever.

The basic formula is "let's reduce our risk by giving our audiences a movie about something they already love".

That's been a huge trend the last 10-15 years and that I don't see going away because its just such an obviously successful and easy to replicate strategy.

Right now comic based movies are probably the biggest part of that trend but they are only part of it and they most definitely can be supplanted by other properties with built in audiences if the moviegoer fatigues of too many men in tights.