• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steven Spielberg says the end is near for superhero movies

124 posts in this topic

I happen to agree with Mr. Spielberg.

I also do not think, when done right, Westerns are boring. What's boring? Well this whole generation has made Michael Bay it's biggest box office director and he's raped more childhood dreams than anyone in cinematic history.

I don't see it fizzing out, simply because superhero movies are what makes going to the movies exciting. We started off really just trying to get a superhero on the screen in the first place, then came them fighting their major villains, now superheros are fighting each other, they are evolving. I feel that it's only going to get better. Go the way of the western? Westerns are and have always been boring.

:jokealert: i think

I don't believe Super-Hero movies are a Trend

Super-Hero movies are a Genre

Hollywood is making less intriguing movies in the past few years

and many people have turned to the Super-Hero stuff, not just comic enthusiasts.

The tides will shift but Super-Hero stuff will never burn out.

It's an easy way to use already well written stories and bring them

to the big screen.

well of course.

but the increased attention on the genre is part of a larger trend (towards movies with built in audiences..)

well of course.

but the increased attention on the genre is part of a larger trend (towards movies with built in audiences..)

Agreed, Twilight movies already had a built in audience...

hmmm.... we could be in trouble if all comic collectors are 12 year old girls or

lonely soccer moms.

I also do not think, when done right, Westerns are boring. What's boring? Well this whole generation has made Michael Bay it's biggest box office director and he's raped more childhood dreams than anyone in cinematic history.

(thumbs u

I just saw The Salvation. Not a bad addition to the genre. Though, Once upon a time in the West along with the Spaghetti's remain my favorite. Even the Neo-Westerns like Outland.

The best!

(thumbs u

I just saw The Salvation. Not a bad addition to the genre. Though, Once upon a time in the West along with the Spaghetti's remain my favorite. Even the Neo-Westerns like Outland.

The best!

Have you seen the Director's Cut? Even greater, with an awesome transfer. Some might consider the Mad Max films westerns too..

I tend to think that X-Men started the comic book movie ball rolling. It's been nothing but momentum ever since, and can you believe that movie was released 15 years ago? People are nowhere near burned out by superhero movies, and I predict it will be at least another 15 years before this genre burns out...temporarily.

(thumbs u

The best!

Have you seen the Director's Cut? Even greater, with an awesome transfer. Some might consider the Mad Max films westerns too..

I never even knew there was a director`s cut? :o

Also I know the Spaghetti's Eastwood`s got at least a trilogy, but what about The Outlaw Josey Wales? Is that part of the canon?

(thumbs u

The best!

Also I know the Spaghetti's Eastwood`s got at least a trilogy, but what about The Outlaw Josey Wales? Is that part of the canon?

Yup. It 18 minutes added. My favorite addition was a brief one, the part with the boot when Eli Wallach is endlessly torturing Eastwood.

I do not believe Josey Wales is part of it. Just Eastwood trying new directions for the genre. Even though The Beguiled isn't so much a western, I think you should try it out from that time period. I'm not sure, but I think it's Eastwood's first villian role where he runs into folks worse then he is.

Besides Josey, there's always The Dollar Trilogy, Unforgiven, Pale Rider, Silverado, Dances With Wolves (4 hour Director's Cut), Jeremiah Johnson, The Man Called Horse films, Soldier Blue, Little Big Man, Tombstone, Hang 'Em High, Joe Kidd, Two Mules for Sister Sara, Once Upon a Time in the West, They Died With Their Boots On, The Last of the Mohicans (1992) and even Davy Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier.

I can't believe someone on here implied Westerns are boring. lol

(thumbs u

The best!

Yup. It 18 minutes added. My favorite addition was a brief one, the part with the boot when Eli Wallach is endlessly torturing Eastwood.

I do not believe Josey Wales is part of it. Just Eastwood trying new directions for the genre. Even though The Beguiled isn't so much a western, I think you should try it out from that time period. I'm not sure, but I think it's Eastwood's first villian role where he runs into folks worse then he is.

Besides Josey, there's always The Dollar Trilogy, Unforgiven, Pale Rider, Silverado, Dances With Wolves (4 hour Director's Cut), Jeremiah Johnson, The Man Called Horse films, Soldier Blue, Little Big Man, Tombstone, Hang 'Em High, Joe Kidd, Two Mules for Sister Sara, Once Upon a Time in the West, They Died With Their Boots On, The Last of the Mohicans (1992) and even Davy Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier.

I can't believe someone on here implied Westerns are boring. lol

That's a stagecoach load of great films.

I tend to think that X-Men started the comic book movie ball rolling. It's been nothing but momentum ever since, and can you believe that movie was released 15 years ago? People are nowhere near burned out by superhero movies, and I predict it will be at least another 15 years before this genre burns out...temporarily.

People are nowhere near burned out? Think again.

The upcoming Batman versus Superman and Suicide Squad movies look good to rejuvenate again.

I think the burnt out happened because of Avengers: Age of Ultron disappointed, and FF was a bomb!

DC looks like it will give Marvel some good competition.

The upcoming Batman versus Superman and Suicide Squad movies look good to rejuvenate again.

I think the burnt out happened because of Avengers: Age of Ultron disappointed, and FF was a bomb!

DC looks like it will give Marvel some good competition.

Good for another 5 years? I have a slight interest in Batman vs Superman and zero interest in the rest. Suicide Squad looks like a bad joke.

They'll stop making thrillers and rom-coms soon.

It was a generalized statement. For the most part, they aren't. The people who are burned out are in the minority.