• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Point Value Adjustments

6 posts in this topic

I've been a member for almost three years, and I was immediately hooked by the competitive registry. Until yesterday, I'd never seen a huge "nerf" to a set's score matrix as happened yesterday with X-Men 94-143.

I'd actually considered that some of the registry point values for X-Men 94-143 and DD 158-191 seem to reflect a "heyday" gone by, and that for business reasons CGC never adjusts values downward, regardless of the bottom dropping out of something.

I'm not complaining, just curious if these are downward adjustments are more common than I'd observed due to the focused nature of what I collect and register. And this happens ONE WEEK after I add an X-Men #94 9.4 to my set!! Argh.

Thanks for your time!

Other members went to CGC to have the points reviewed based on current data. It happens all the time. I've had some books go up and some books go down over the years. As long as you don't buy books for their registry points it shouldn't really matter, right? All competing sets are getting the same change after all.

Ah, gotcha. You're right, of course, and I'm not even faintly hoping to compete in some of the sets I have most of my comics in. I do, however, like to see my ranking relative to the population move upward!! And, I was stoked when the one book (X-men #94, CGC 9.4 w/ OW/W pages but very well-centered with good color registry) bumped me from #408 to #370 with one 4,500 point boost, by far my highest point value book (my #2 is WD #1, 9.6).

But yes, point taken, it's still fundamentally the same exact, nice comic, and it's still worth 3,825 points. I actually chose it over a WP copy (both original owner, not pressed) that had a 1/8" white border along the entire spine. I need to scan it and post!

Centering is a big thing for me as well. I've wanted to pick up an x-men 94 and a giant size x-men #1 in 9.4 for a long time, but when I have the spare coin to do so another book or two that come to the market less often always seem to catch my eye.