• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TPB and Graphic novel appreciation. posted by boostergold

25 posts in this topic

I would like to share my fondness for TPBs and graphic novels.

One thing I like more than collecting comics is reading them. For financial sake I chose to collect more of these than comics so that I had more to read for my money.

I will be posting the various kinds that I like and why I chose them.

See more journals by boostergold

Deathlok the Demolisher: The Complete Collection

Collecting: Astonishing Tales (1970) 25-28, 30-36; Marvel Team-Up (1972) 46; Marvel Spotlight (1972) 33; Marvel Two-In-One (1975) 27, 54; Captain America (1968) 286-288

368 pages

I just got this one in and only paid $16.66 w/free shipping. I sold my Masterworks copy for $40 and that helped me buy some of these. Even though this isn't hard cover like the Masterworks It is still a colored book that is a good read.

deathlok_zpsqpp0topx.jpg

Iron Fist Epic Collection: The Fury of Iron Fist

COLLECTING: Vol. 1; Marvel Premiere (1972) 15-25, Iron Fist (1975) 1-15, Marvel Team-Up (1972) 63-64

528 pages

Now, I just learned about these Epic Collection TPBs. They are like Marvel Essentials, but in color.

I have the first Marvel Masterworks of Iron Fist, but to bet the second book was out of my reach. The Epic Collection includes what both of them have and I got this for only $26.35 w/free shipping.

So, I sell my Masterworks to help pay for most of the cost of this one and I have all of the books in one.

iron%20fist_zpslj138mxy.jpg

Thor Epic Collection: The God of Thunder (Mighty Thor)

Collecting: Journey Into Mystery (1952) 83-109 (Thor Epic Collection VOL. 1)

480 pages

I have been putting together a Thor run from #217-350 and the issues before that I have been getting in Masterworks, but didn't have these numbers yet. This book is the equivalent of two Masters and almost an Omnibus. I got this one for $12.48 w/free shipping.

Best of all is that it is in color.

thor_zpsog8jma34.jpg

For me I prefer the originals. Sure they're a lot more expensive but a TPB can't replace the experience of sifting thru those old pages, catching that old comicbook smell, reading the letters page and laughing at all the old ads. Ah, good times. Still, if you just want the story then a TPB is the way to go.

I totally agree with you, but when finances hinder your ability to spend $30 for the real thing you have to do the best you can with what you have.

Tonight I bought four collected works of the Adventures to the Unknown for $13 each and will add pictures later. They are hardbound. Even though they don't have the old book smell they did reprint all of the original ads.

For me I prefer the originals. Sure they're a lot more expensive but a TPB can't replace the experience of sifting thru those old pages, catching that old comicbook smell, reading the letters page and laughing at all the old ads. Ah, good times. Still, if you just want the story then a TPB is the way to go.

I Know these are not the original pages, but here are the pages I said I would share in some of the reprinted pre code reprints. These are from Adventures into the Unknown Archives. There are eight in the run and all I need are numbers one and three.

100_3529_zpsztz2m9ns.jpg

100_3527_zpsk3btkpn1.jpg

100_3526_zps9xepebqg.jpg

100_3525_zps3pgkwwrc.jpg

Because of these boards and reprints I have a new found love of some Golden Age books. As I search and research more and more I discover all of the a lot of great trades that are available.

The Shield

This volume collects the Shield stories from Pep Comics #1 - 5, and the three stories from Shield-Wizard #1.

100_3533_zpssoavmvll.jpg

100_3535_zpskryjhbxy.jpg

Who can't appreciate the Vampire Tales magazine line? Such great artwork and stories. I was elated to find that they did these books reprinting first 11 issues. Not only did they reprint the stories, but also the feature articles from the original magazines.

These books are not magazine size. They are 5.8 x 0.8 x 9 inches and 640 pages combined.

For those who are working on a budget these are great for the reading aspects.

100_3531_zps6xae284y.jpg

100_3538_zpsz6cif1lv.jpg

100_3536_zpsdkc0e9xj.jpg

100_3537_zpsnlwrxuvf.jpg

Here's the latest book I just got in.

S.H.I.E.L.D. by Jim Steranko: The Complete Collection

Collecting: Strange Tales (1951) 151-168 & Nick Fury, Agent OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (1968) 1-3, 5

352 pages

What makes this great is that the Masterworks SHIELD #2 contains STRANGE TALES #154-168 and NICK FURY, AGENT OF SHIELD #1-3, and 272 PGS, but is also $60 on Amazon.

I got the Complete Collection book for $10 with free Prime shipping.

100_3576_zpsgbfrqdt1.jpg

100_3577_zpsdrhlpxn3.jpg

100_3578_zpsjcxrl4gp.jpg

100_3579_zps3skug9c8.jpg

100_3580_zps1zmqbkca.jpg

Avengers vs. Thanos

COLLECTING: Iron Man (1968) 55; Captain Marvel (1968) 25-33; Marvel Feature (1971) 12; Daredevil (1964) 105-107; Avengers (1963) 125; Warlock (1972) 9-11, 15; Avengers Annual (1967) 7; Marvel Two -In-One Annual 2; material from Logan 's Run 6

472 pages

As I have said, my purpose for collecting TPBs and graphic novels is because the original books just aren't in my budget. This book is a great example of getting to read books that are out of your reach.

Cover price on this books is $34.99, but can be acquired for as low as around $9.00. Lots of great reading for a really good price.

100_3586_zpstfgxnh1q.jpg

100_3588_zpsabmcl87v.jpg

100_3589_zpsyxzpoutu.jpg

The Terminator: Omnibus – Volume 1

352 pages

Collects of 4 graphic novels. One shot, Tempest, Secondary Objectives, and The Enemy Within.

Terminator Omnibus - Volume 2

Paperback: 376 pages

Collects - Hunters and killer, Endgame, Suicide run, Death valley , The dark years

I really liked these comics in the 90's and this is a great way to get them all together. These can be found for way less than cover if you search around enough.

These are a little small, in size, than a regular TPB, but it is worth value they bring.

100_3581_zpspzy1fknl.jpg

Aliens vs Predator Omnibus Vol 1 & 2

Vol. 1 456 pages The material in this book was originally presented in the previous graphic novels: Aliens Vs. Predator; Aliens Vs. Predator: War; Aliens Vs. Predator: Eternal, as well as stories from Dark Horse Presents.

Vol. 2 464 pages this omnibus contains the "Deadliest of the Species" , Booty, Hell-Bent, Pursuit, Lefty's Revenge, Chained to Life & Death, and Xenogenesis.

100_3583_zpsiixdpo5i.jpg

47 Ronin

152 pages. 47 Ronin follows a dedicated group of Asano's vassals on their years-long path of vengeance!

* From Mike Richardson (Star Wars: Crimson Empire) and Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo)!

This deluxe collection includes a cover gallery, bonus artwork,, and extensive behind the scenes extras.

I like the movie and just had to purchase the book. Love the artwork.

100_3585_zpszxybksny.jpg