• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Runs or Keys?

29 posts in this topic

I collect DC and Marvel keys - just characters that I like.

Some argue that you cannot be a 'collector' if you just buy keys vs. runs, but I disagree.

Collect whatever you like - I love seeing key issues, first appearances, #1's, etc. So that's what I collect.

I'm not too much into the speculator market... I also have no interest in FF 45's or Avengers 57's because I don't care for the characters or story arcs.

Most of the stuff in runs are drek anyway; I have no interest in that, nor do I have the space for runs.

I used to collect runs but it got ridiculous, storage and such. I tried to concentrate on keys but I was bored, not enough action. I now collect what I like....cool covers, Marvel Pre-Hero, pedigrees. I still like keys but I let them come to me, I don't seek them out.

I trend more towards collecting runs, but because of space and financial limitations, I can only pursue that goal in the fullest sense with a few titles.

In most cases, I pursue partial runs or sets - a group of books linked by a particular character, storyline, time-frame, etc.

Same. That said, I collect comics primarily for the story so if the issues within the story arc are too rich for my blood, I have no problems just buying them in collected volumes (HC or TPB, doesn't matter) or even in digital format.

I also collect certain covers that catch my fancy. Mostly Skottie Young Baby Variants which is likely a holdover from my anime/manga addiction and penchant for cutesy chibi/super deformed characters.

Runs.

Seeing the progression of a title through the decades is the best feeling for me. A loose issue in the 90's can be drek, but when it's part of a run, it's just as important as any other issue.

There are two kinds of key collectors: those that keep the keys of titles they know and love, and those that want any book that someone else wants. I'm critical of the second group, the bandwagon jumpers, the youtube showoffs, the guys who admire a book only for its sticker price. Those are the ones who make the excuse that they can't afford everything, so they only buy the "good stuff." They buy with no attachment to a book, and sell just as quickly. They're not really collectors, they're just flippers.

X-Men is a very coherent title, with Chris Claremont at the helm for a very long time. To the OP, if you decide not to keep them, at least read them through once. Personally, I didn't like the Forge stories in the 180's (mostly because of the art), or the Outback stuff in the 220-240's, but everything else until X-Cutioner's Song was pretty good.

runs: collectors, keys: speculators/investors/flippers

Not at all that simplistic.

One can also be a collector of keys, or a flipper of completed runs.

Or one can collect SOME keys that are relevant to the collector (story, art, time-period, sentimentality, etc.) while ignoring other keys that have no appeal to the collector.

Or one can just not want to have to deal with tracking down 100, 200 or more issues to complete a run OR just might not have the space to store large runs.

So don't be baggin' on key-collectors and thinking they're all just in it for the money. (tsk)

Or one can collect SOME keys that are relevant to the collector (story, art, time-period, sentimentality, etc.) while ignoring other keys that have no appeal to the collector.

That seems the only reasonable way to collect: buy what you enjoy. Owning comics you don't like or care about is silly, unless you're running a business.

Or one can just not want to have to deal with tracking down 100, 200 or more issues to complete a run...

That's B.S. You don't have to buy every issue from the run, you buy the ones you like. If you don't like a title enough to buy ANY single issues from it, what do you want the keys for?

:idea:

You don't have to buy every issue from the run, you buy the ones you like. If you don't like a title enough to buy ANY single issues from it, what do you want the keys for?

:idea:

First appearance of a favorite character perhaps?

I'm tempted to get TOS 52 for first Black Widow myself but I didn't really like the story enough (read via Marvel Unlimited) to justify spending $300+ for a low to mid-grade copy.