• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Runs or Keys?

29 posts in this topic

This topic has come up quite a bit and I've probably answered it before.

I used to have fun trying to collect runs. But in my old age I don't like storing large amounts of comics so I limit it to 3 runs, which I have pretty much complete. So I guess keys at this point, but there are still some "hot" keys which I have little to no interest in like IM 55 and FF 45. Give me an FF 48 any day over 45.

Oftentimes I buy comics just to read then get rid of, so as to limit what I store. I do this with mini series a lot.

I focus on certain issues that mean a lot to me, not runs. Often they don't appreciate in value, which is fine by me, but occasionally a book will get hyped and later on become a key. It doesn't make me any more excited about owning the item, though.

Runs mostly. But also certain keys connected to those runs (Hulk 181 connecting to my Wolverine run, nearly or totally full runs of X-Men, UXM, X-Force, X-Factor, NM, etc)... And the occasional "book I loved when I was younger" like the 1st, 2nd & 3rd printings of Spidey #1 & Spidey 13)

I used to collect runs, but as others have stated, my place just isn't big enough for them. So I've been trying to transition to keys, giving away low-value books and selling the rest. It's nice to have some keys be representative of those runs anyway :)

Neither. :shrug:

Even the few runs that I have more or less managed to put together (or working on) like Fantastic Four, Defenders, Dr. Strange, if there are issues of very little relevance to me – be them artistically, in terms of respect of the characters, historically etc. – I can easily do without them. Well, probably Fantastic Four is an exception as I still have a lot of drek about them… :P

The criteria I have tried to adopt with the Marvel age is elusive, but more or less is a mixture of stories and arcs I have read and appreciate a lot and stories and arcs that are either considered pivotal for the characters or that I consider important. So, not necessarily "keys" in the sense the term usually have.

I trend more towards collecting runs, but because of space and financial limitations, I can only pursue that goal in the fullest sense with a few titles.

In most cases, I pursue partial runs or sets - a group of books linked by a particular character, storyline, time-frame, etc.

I also re-collect books I purchased off the stands as a kid in high-grade. Since my childhood purchases were pretty scatter-shot, it makes for an eclectic mix of books in my collection.

I do have a few books that would be considered "key" ("semi-key" would probably be a more accurate term, IMO) in both my collection and want list. But these are usually pursued in conjunction with the runs and sets I'm collecting.

I certainly understand the appeal of keys as a collector, but personally I can't see myself going after a key issue and then never acquiring any of the surrounding issues. Like getting Batman #232 but then never getting the rest of that story arc; I just can't see it.

I trend more towards collecting runs, but because of space and financial limitations, I can only pursue that goal in the fullest sense with a few titles.

In most cases, I pursue partial runs or sets - a group of books linked by a particular character, storyline, time-frame, etc.

I also re-collect books I purchased off the stands as a kid in high-grade. Since my childhood purchases were pretty scatter-shot, it makes for an eclectic mix of books in my collection.

I do have a few books that would be considered "key" ("semi-key" would probably be a more accurate term, IMO) in both my collection and want list. But these are usually pursued in conjunction with the runs and sets I'm collecting.

I certainly understand the appeal of keys as a collector, but personally I can't see myself going after a key issue and then never acquiring any of the surrounding issues. Like getting Batman #232 but then never getting the rest of that story arc; I just can't see it.

I believe we are very similar in our criteria: I aim for "keys" when they are important books, not just because of the market.

Currently switching from runs to keys. Once you have 20 plus long boxes in your basement that for the most part have nothing beyond sentimental value, it is time to sell as many of those as possible, and use that money to get keys.

But it really hurts when my OCD kicks in and I create a hole.

Keys, semi-keys, artists and covers along with a few short but significant SA story arcs.

I very briefly started collecting a couple runs of bronze/coppers but within a box or so quickly realized I personally had no interest in COLLECTING runs of mostly (what I consider) filler and drek. I really have no interest in KEEPING runs of any anything past early bronze with very rare exceptions.

It's all about personal preference - collect what you enjoy and enjoy what you collect. :cool:

Runs mostly. But also certain keys connected to those runs (Hulk 181 connecting to my Wolverine run, nearly or totally full runs of X-Men, UXM, X-Force, X-Factor, NM, etc)... And the occasional "book I loved when I was younger" like the 1st, 2nd & 3rd printings of Spidey #1 & Spidey 13)

This ^^ I am collecting Hulk so also collecting defenders which tie in with sub-mariner and doctor strange. I haven't even started with the avengers yet.