• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Comic Action # 1 vs. Original Art Grail

76 posts in this topic

Hard to tell what is the best OA.

Its gotta be a cover.

Probably P.K.'s Amazing Spiderman # 1.

But thats just MY opinion.

Woah... are you saying the Amazing Spidey #1 cover is known to exist?

---------------------------------------------------------

Yes sir,...my man !!!!

And many know who has it !!!!!

Between the original art to ASM # 1 and the Church Action # 1,..call me a new fangled breed,..but Id rather have the ASM # 1 OA Cover,...hands down !!!!!!!!!!!!

The damn thing deserves to be in the Metropolitan Museum of Art !

Plenty of items out there have price tags higher than 125K, but I haven't heard of an actual cash sale above this level.

The Batman #1 page would definitely sell at that level if it came on the market again, and if Jerry ever decided to sell the Superman #14 cover it could easily fetch that price.

Yes sir,...my man !!!!

Between the original art to ASM # 1 and the Church Action # 1,..call me a new fangled breed,..but Id rather have the ASM # 1 OA Cover,...hands down !!!!!!!!!!!!

Very interesting, I had thought that relatively few pre-1965 Marvel silver age covers were known to exist. Any other early key (or just very early) silver Marvel covers known to exist?

Yes sir,...my man !!!!

Very interesting, I had thought that relatively few pre-1965 covers were known to exist. Any other early key (or just very early) silver Marvel covers known to exist?

---------------------------

YUP !!!!!

In fact,...the guy who has the ASM #1 Cover b asically has ALL the KEY Covers from the run. Dont know what he's waiting 4,...my guess is Ditko to pass away. Dont mean to be blasphemous,....but hell,....its the truth !

Plenty of items out there have price tags higher than 125K, but I haven't heard of an actual cash sale above this level.

The Batman #1 page would definitely sell at that level if it came on the market again, and if Jerry ever decided to sell the Superman #14 cover it could easily fetch that price.

Archangels has a Cap #6 splash page they're asking in that ballpark for:

http://www.archangels.com/db_detail.php?id=124

I also love Metro's Superman #16 cover, and the Tec #28, #30, and #60 covers (among many, many other great pieces):

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/graphics/supermanC16a.jpg

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/gallery2.html

Aside from what's already been mentioned in the thread, what other key/important golden age art is known to exist, for sale or otherwise?

The Superman #16 is cool, but the only one that would beat the #14 would be if the cover to #1 surfaced.

It has long been rumored that Jim Shooter might have had a hand in the cover for FF#1 disappearing from Marvel. And Greg Theakston has told me point blank that he saw the FF#12 cover sitting on Jim's desk with a stack of other pieces of art and I don't think it's come up for sale since then.

------------------------------------

When did a page from Batman # 1 come up 4 sale ??????????

you know, the thing about the Marvel original artwork should be very simple. Marvel commissioned it and took possession of it. So either Marvel OWNED the artwork; or, created as de facto work-for-hire (in lieu of actual signed contracts in the 60s) so that therefor the artists never ceded ownership of it, and THEY themselves still own it.

So at some point it disappears, presumed stolen. Therefore, since Marvel did not SELL the art to these people, and the artists never saw it again after turning it in, why is it not a slam dunk for Marvel to go to every Convention with lawyers and police and confiscate ALL artwork on display on the grounds that it is ALL stolen ?? Except for the pages that were returned to artists etc in the 80 that is.

Everyone who owns any of the pieces that were not legally returned and later sold on the open market are in possession of stolen goods. And even those collectors who paid thousands of dollars for their collections have no legal rights to it.... just like stolen Nazi artworks from WWII. It all belongs to either Marvel or the artists. Not you!

or am I missing something here??? There was never a legal transfer of ownership or sale from Marvel...therefore Its all hot!! Marvel should go to court by suing Destro (if he actually owns any artwork that is) and use the court ruling in its favor to get it ALL back!

When did a page from Batman # 1 come up 4 sale ??????????

In the 90s. Guy that owns it also owns the 2nd nicest copy of Detective #27

It's a great page with the 1st appearance of the Joker on it (not counting the splash).

It sold for crazy money back then that dwarfed every other original art sale at the time.

WRONG ! WRONG ! WRONG !

There's a thing called Statute of limitations. Moreover, Marvel's failure to enforce any puported claim makes the art 'abandoned' or 'lost' property, in which case, the finder (or bonafide purchaser for value) obtains ownership rights associated with the property.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

you know, the thing about the Marvel original artwork should be very simple. Marvel commissioned it and took possession of it. So either Marvel OWNED the artwork; or , as work-for-hire created in lieu of a signed contracts in the 60s that the artists ceded ownership of it, then THEY themselves own it.

So at some point it disappears, presumed stolen. Therefore, since Marvel did not SELL the art to these people, and the artists never saw it again after turning it in, why is it not a slam dunk for Marvel to go to every Convention with lawyers and police and confiscate ALL artwork on display on the grounds that it is ALL stolen ?? Except for the pages that were returned to artists etc in the 80s.

Everyone who owns any of the pieces that were not legally returned and later sold on the open market are in possession of stolen goods. And even those collectors who paid thousands of dollars for their collections have no legal rights to it.... just like stolen Nazi artworks from WWII. It all belongs to either Marvel or the artists. Not you!

or am I missing something here??? There was never a legal transfer of ownership or sale from Marvel...therefore Its all hot!!

Or the Superman cover with Hitler and Hirohito.... this is a job for DESTRO-MAN!!!

That is a good one. I think its Superman 13. I also believe the Action 50 cover is available. That is a super black cover. Nice, real nice.

Not #13...it's #17...

superman17.jpg

what statute of limitations?? for theft?? for how many years? WWII was 60 years ago. and the heirs are getting the art back.
War crimes generally don't have any statute of limitations. The theft of the Marvel artwork would probably be subject to some form of statute of limitations.

While the Planet # 1 is nice...I do not believe it would ever qualify to become a 2-3 million piece. Not iconographic enough in my opinion. Stll nice though.

What is the most paid so far for original art? The highest asking price I have seen was for the last Submariner story page from Marvel 1.

The highest bonafide sale that I've heard of was 125K. The ASM 10 complete interiors sold for 160K cash about two years ago. Multiple items have changed hands at the 80-100K level. Plenty of items out there have price tags higher than 125K, but I haven't heard of an actual cash sale above this level.

But, I'm out of the loop on items at this price range.........

What was the 125 k purchase Hari? Enquiring minds wanna know?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my sources are correct,...the ASM # 122 recently was sold north of 100K,..now thats not confirned,..but I have VERY good info. that this is the case. Hari ?

While the Planet # 1 is nice...I do not believe it would ever qualify to become a 2-3 million piece. Not iconographic enough in my opinion. Stll nice though.

What is the most paid so far for original art? The highest asking price I have seen was for the last Submariner story page from Marvel 1.

The highest bonafide sale that I've heard of was 125K. The ASM 10 complete interiors sold for 160K cash about two years ago. Multiple items have changed hands at the 80-100K level. Plenty of items out there have price tags higher than 125K, but I haven't heard of an actual cash sale above this level.

But, I'm out of the loop on items at this price range.........

What was the 125 k purchase Hari? Enquiring minds wanna know?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my sources are correct,...the ASM # 122 recently was sold north of 100K,..now thats not confirned,..but I have VERY good info. that this is the case. Hari ?

I think most of those Golden Age covers that have been mentioned would easily fetch over 125K. The #122 sold about four or five years ago for 60K, and was the highest recorded sale for a ASM cover at the time. I'm not sure if it has since sold again. The #121 cover (a nicer cover, I might add) would probably also fetch over 100K (but is in a permanent collection at present). The Marvel Comics #1 page sold for 125K two years ago. That's the one that's "for sale" again at Heritage, with likely a 200K + price tag.

Most of the early pre-1965 Marvel covers exist, but are hidden away (probably because the people who have them are the original people who bought them from the "thieves" back in the early 1980s). If they showed up with them now, there would be all sorts of questions.

Marvel never filed a theft report when the art was stolen. It was, by all accounts, an inside job. So, Marvel won't sue its own prominent employees. Therefore, no theft was reported and they have very little base to stand on if they want their art back now, over twenty years later. Nonetheless, the present possessors of the historic pre-1965 covers are likely afraid to air them. Not so much because they are afraid they will forced to return the art, but moreso because they are afraid of how they will be treated by the rest of the comic art community.