• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silent but deadly... G.I. Joe 21 appreciation thread

75 posts in this topic

I sent my 75center off to cgc.   See it back in 4 months lol.

Looking forward to what it grades.

Can anyone show the cgc listed graded ones so far?

Im not going to say what i think my will grade but I think it will do well! :)

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Still the only book I would pay good money for in good shape. All the ones I find are trashed.

True story.  My 9.6 I found raw and it was a wall book.  My reader was definitely not.  I did see a NM newsstand copy of it at the LCS, but decided to pass at the time.  It was gone the next week.  Should have pulled the trigger.  Lesson learned.  

I have been reading up on the whole 2nd printing thing and that article about they found three so far sounds far fetched.  1.  the book is pgx and no pictures of the inside, 2. blurry video, and third there really hasn't been any substantial proof in my mind.  They also discuss the sealed comic bag packs in which the third prints came in and then showed a bag set with a book they think is a second printing but looks like the first printing.

What I find curious is that why would Marvel print books with all price tags being the usa, cdn and uk, then release it again but each country having their own price tag.  Why not stay with the same price box since the price of the books never changed.  

I wonder if its even reasonable to think that the one with the actual country prices are the second printings.  I was looking at the price variant list for cdn variants and this theme seems to happen to all those books as well.

I just don't get why have different price boxes other than region when the original price box had all prices for everywhere which where the same.  Why have someone even do the work to do all that wasting time and money.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:19 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

Always wanted a nice-presenting copy of this book without spending a ton, and I finally got a nice one. Just a 6.0, but it was exactly what I was looking for:

IMG_4177.thumb.JPG.1565cb32a9b5f9b74be79ef10163c8de.JPG

Decent Indeed :) Congrats!

On 7/22/2021 at 1:22 PM, Stronguy said:

This books was raw in my collection for decades (but I don't think it's my original copy).  I subbed it to Voldy when they first opened and it was 9.8w.:acclaim:  A couple of years ago I sent it to CGC for a Crossover and it came back 9.6w.:tonofbricks:  Earlier this year I decided to CPR it.  There were a couple of spots that needed to be cleaned up but nothing that should have kept it out of 9.8.

Low and behold, I got an email saying they bumped it from Modern to Express (and were hitting me for an additional $86).  Honestly, I don't mind news like that.

IMG_5107.thumb.jpg.6bdef252f640fdc35e6dde21a561aca4.jpg

Four color breaking areas on the spine, from SEs head to the shoulder, and that is just what I can make out from the picture...and this is what is passing for a 9.8? Buy the book, not the grade is a real thing.

On 1/25/2022 at 6:24 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

Four color breaking areas on the spine, from SEs head to the shoulder, and that is just what I can make out from the picture...and this is what is passing for a 9.8? Buy the book, not the grade is a real thing.

Thanks for dumping on my book.. jackwagon. :censored:  "Some people should be seen and not heard" is a real thing.

FWIW, those are not CBC's, they're extremely light non-color breaking, maybe 1/32".  The reason you're even able to see them is because I shot the picture with the light at nearly a 90 deg angle to the slab to minimize the glare.  Put the light in any other place and those lines are not visible.

IMG_6632.thumb.JPG.ca00ef36ab1614f433a26071ce6ae3e4.JPG

I've got a couple of "black spidey" copies that would almost certainly grade over 9.0 each, but my newsstand copy is a reader. Not horrible or anything, but I'd estimate 6.0-7.0. 

I've never understood why they call "black spidey" copies of the earlier Joes 3rd prints. Because you don't call a newsstand or a "white spidey" 2nd prints, they're both considered 1st prints because they went on sale at the same time. But the later copies get called 3rd prints. Never made sense to me. They should be called 2nd prints or just reprints in my opinion. 

On 1/26/2022 at 9:50 AM, profholt82 said:

I've never understood why they call "black spidey" copies of the earlier Joes 3rd prints. Because you don't call a newsstand or a "white spidey" 2nd prints, they're both considered 1st prints because they went on sale at the same time. But the later copies get called 3rd prints. Never made sense to me.

As I recall, Black Spideys have THRID PRINT in the indicia.  There is nothing with SECOND PRINT in the indicia.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:38 AM, Stronguy said:

Thanks for dumping on my book.. jackwagon. :censored:  "Some people should be seen and not heard" is a real thing.

FWIW, those are not CBC's, they're extremely light non-color breaking, maybe 1/32".  The reason you're even able to see them is because I shot the picture with the light at nearly a 90 deg angle to the slab to minimize the glare.  Put the light in any other place and those lines are not visible.

IMG_6632.thumb.JPG.ca00ef36ab1614f433a26071ce6ae3e4.JPG

Then apparently Magic is a real thing, because I don't think those CBCs disappear just because you take another picture that simply doesnt show what is very obvious in the first picture.

And go grab a nap before you reply, okay?

On 1/26/2022 at 11:47 AM, bluehorseshoe said:

Then apparently Magic is a real thing, because I don't think those CBCs disappear just because you take another picture that simply doesnt show what is very obvious in the first picture.

And go grab a nap before you reply, okay?

Not surprising that you've never heard of light reflection.  "Seen but not heard"... give it a try.

On 2/6/2022 at 9:28 AM, *Bronze age fan* said:

Add me to the club. 

41351CA7-B02C-4CA4-919D-897E933A63E8.jpeg

Love the close up! :x It is just a fine book, and series. If we all had nostalgia, it'd be rebooted nicely. In the end, the patience to consider the story and make it fun, is what keeps the spirits up. Can't go wrong with Jim Lee :)