• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OBSCURE DC'S! - Post 'em if you love 'em!
5 5

395 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2018 at 7:56 AM, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Since you guys like REX; here is my favorite cover from a run of four I picked up for pocket change (literally) when I was a kid at a thrift shop back in good old Asbury Park, NJ. This one has that great gray tone cover and some great artwork. I'll try to post the other ones this coming weekend.

tn_Rex421.jpg

Hmmm...there might be another Rex I want after seeing THIS cover...hm

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

58791A9E-4BF4-4B54-9FEC-8A1FEF352204.thumb.jpeg.f0b3fe23a06ca5d665b8e1d2e382d325.jpegThis series is a little obscure too.

These are some great books; besides a solo Robin story you get an early Tomahawk story and a Ghost story for good measure. I always have my eyes out for reasonably priced Star Spangled Comics. They used to on the down low years ago but folks have learned to appreciate them more these days.

8 hours ago, N e r V said:

This one is also post code in case anyone thought I was trying to make a monkey out of them...

52F9CC04-F315-4973-86B2-6A9B9183FB89.jpeg.f2666226ec94e8a4d3346a3b1c473eee.jpeg

This should be a proto-Grodd issue! Congo Bills rarely show up; I think you are much more likely to find a Phantom Stranger for sale than a Congo Bill at any given show. Truly an obscure DC!

I don’t know. This one was pretty tough for me. People told me #5 was more difficult but I think it’s just more popular to keep and #6 being the last issue is actually scarcer. But maybe they know more, who knows. Tough either way.

81474F19-42BC-4960-A8CB-D0F44DEEEC5B.thumb.jpeg.f1afc8fb352b24c18870dcd231e009a5.jpeg

Second favourite cover for me in the run.

Edited by N e r V

An earlier post reminded me of the first two fifties Star Spangleds I bought from Ray Storch at a Wonder Con when it was still a smaller show in San Francisco. Ray had some fun boxes of obscure DC's. and I bought these two. The interior  front cover ad of the 117 indicates that Tomahawk had already landed his own title. This cover is a beauty and those red flames shoot right off the page at you!

tn_StarSpangle109.jpg

tn_StarSpangle117.jpg

tn_StarSpangle117FrontSpread.jpg

Now it is on to the Rex the Wonder Dog run I was lucky enough to find at a thrift shop back east in the mid seventies for probably a dime a book. These books would have been over fifteen years old at that time and it was unusual even then to find this kind of stuff in the thrift stores. Needless to say I couldn't plunk down my quarters quick enough. First up is the earliest in the run; issue #39. As a bonus it features an ad for Charlie Chan #1 inside. As Nerv points out these are tough books to come by as well. Too bad they weren't in the same pile! All of these Rex feature Detective Chimp stories with art by Carmine Infantino. While the premise sounds and is silly; these are actually fun stories to read. 

tn_Rex39.jpg

tn_Rex39Ad.jpg

tn_Rex39Chimp.jpg