• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OBSCURE DC'S! - Post 'em if you love 'em!
5 5

395 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Absolutely...

starspangled122.jpg

I just looked at the census and there's actually more of these than I would have expected.  A total of 23 graded, with 11 graded 8.0 or better.

25 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, they do have an entry for the series and covers of the first two issues:  https://www.comics.org/series/1101/

So they do, I was looking for Game Time not Gametime.  But my underlying point stands... issue 4 is listed as a non-comics publication, rather than cover missing.

None of which is to say it’s anything other than an insanely scarce and obscure book, of course!

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

So they do, I was looking for Game Time not Gametime.  But my underlying point stands... issue 4 is listed as a non-comics publication, rather than cover missing.

None of which is to say it’s anything other than an insanely scarce and obscure book, of course!

Good point.  I didn't see that notation.  Does seem an odd decision, given that the book does have a CCA stamp, indicating that DC (and the Code people) apparently treated it as a comic rather than, say, as a magazine.

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

This one is a bit tougher:  Only nine graded of which this is the highest. 

s-l1600_zpsks0cm7ci.JPG

image.png.059164569e88d7946f5d73f10ce33d1c.png

37 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Good point.  I didn't see that notation.  Does seem an odd decision, given that the book does have a CCA stamp, indicating that DC (and the Code people) apparently treated it as a comic rather than, say, as a magazine.

The rule is the book has to be at least 10% comics... and activity pages, in general, don’t count.  CCA approval is nowhere in their guidelines.

I personally think the book should be an exception to that rule... but I’m not sure there’s a process to do that.

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I just looked at the census and there's actually more of these than I would have expected.  A total of 23 graded, with 11 graded 8.0 or better.

The census reflects my experience that it is the most common of the mystery issues to find nice, though it's very difficult to find it 9.6 nice like Mr. B's.

Not a DC per se and to be honest, not sure how rare these are.  I have a copy of the book with a nice dustjacket  as seen on this edition below.  It is the Armed Services Edition with only text and obviosuly as can seen in the slab, the dimensions are much smaller.  It is soft cover unlike the book.  I wasn't sure if CGC would grade/slab it but as of now it is the only on the census.  I think I am the only one odd enough to sub it though.

5ac2b84fcd0d4_adventuresofsupermannn.jpg.1b3e6739f9dc4fef574b8d6757312d33.jpg

1 hour ago, telerites said:
1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

image.png.059164569e88d7946f5d73f10ce33d1c.png

Now that is rare - your very own emoticon :headbang:

Thanks to Flee...

image.png.6d7f910d2f4d7f6d28de688d8be40224.png

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

This one is obscure enough that GCD lacks a cover scan of it.

lf_zpsxq9wygfj.jpg

I recall being at Gary Carter's house back in the day when a package arrived. When he excitedly opened it, a low-grade copy of this book was inside. For the life of me I couldn't understand his jubilation until he explained the book was so tough, he was just happy to have any copy as it finally brought him down from double-digits (from 10 to 9) of issues needed to complete the family's DC collection.

I like it. :) 

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

This one is a bit tougher:  Only nine graded of which this is the highest. 

s-l1600_zpsks0cm7ci.JPG

I wonder if anyone has a complete collection of Star Spangled books. It actually has one of the more varied contents of the DC anthology titles starting from it's earliest days with the Star Spangled Kid and then shortly shifting into the Kirby Newsboy series with the Guardian, followed by the Robin solo series, introducing Tomahawk and then finally moving to a mystery ghost format on the cover. What a great title. 

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Not a DC per se and to be honest, not sure how rare these are.  I have a copy of the book with a nice dustjacket  as seen on this edition below.  It is the Armed Services Edition with only text and obviosuly as can seen in the slab, the dimensions are much smaller.  It is soft cover unlike the book.  I wasn't sure if CGC would grade/slab it but as of now it is the only on the census.  I think I am the only one odd enough to sub it though.

:applause:Very nice! Always fun to see early Superman pieces! 

16 hours ago, telerites said:

Very cool piece.