• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OBSCURE DC'S! - Post 'em if you love 'em!
5 5

395 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

16543665151_78c1b58dd9_c.jpg

Very pretty Brian!Do you have a 79? That's a high up on my list,I'd get selling many dollar books to quote Point Five comic since Mr @Marty Mann posted his.

PS,hi Marty if you see this!Hope you're well my friend.

Edited by porcupine48
Jimmers for forumite of always!

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Very pretty Brian!Do you have a 79? That's a high up on my list,I'd get selling many dollar books to quote Point Five comic since Mr @Marty Mann posted his.

PS,hi Marty if you see this!Hope you're well my friend.

No, I don't.  I like the cover of 79, and also like 69, 70, and 73.  But this is the only other Robin SS I have...

I wanted that #92 since I saw it in the Photo Journals back in 1993.  I could never find a copy in the usual places or at shows until a 2015 SoCal (Terry) Con where Alan Bahr had that copy.  I grabbed it ...

41633856711_93788e0e29_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

My brother won this copy of Picture Stories from the Bible at his LCS back east and gave it to me since I am the family DC fan. It made me realize this is certainly one of the more obscure DC's first published under their banner then migrating to the early EC label but this version has no logo. The book interior looks just like your standard All American DC with the Editorial Advisory Council featured on the inner front cover. I looked this series up on GCD and it was all written and illustrated by two individuals; not familiar names. I might actually read this one as it is actually pretty decent in hand. Max Gaines was on a mission with his attempts to educate children with the holy book. I'd love to learn more about the history of this series.

BibleOldTestament.thumb.jpg.eac22d5850c6d079b76c1bbb036aff38.jpg

On 10/2/2021 at 7:02 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

My brother won this copy of Picture Stories from the Bible at his LCS back east and gave it to me since I am the family DC fan. It made me realize this is certainly one of the more obscure DC's first published under their banner then migrating to the early EC label but this version has no logo. The book interior looks just like your standard All American DC with the Editorial Advisory Council featured on the inner front cover. I looked this series up on GCD and it was all written and illustrated by two individuals; not familiar names. I might actually read this one as it is actually pretty decent in hand. Max Gaines was on a mission with his attempts to educate children with the holy book. I'd love to learn more about the history of this series.

BibleOldTestament.thumb.jpg.eac22d5850c6d079b76c1bbb036aff38.jpg

Gaines was on a mission to make money lol  If I remember right, after All American Comics merged with DC, Gaines kept the rights to the bible comics and he reprinted and repackaged them into these editions. Some have no publisher listed like this one and some later have EC logo on them after he made up that company. Gaines wanted to sell comics to churches and schools, a huge potential market to make money, which is why he named the company Educational Comics and sold these to churches and schools along with Picture Stories from science and history. These bible ones went through like 20 printings.

On 10/3/2021 at 5:44 PM, Robot Man said:

Is this considered scarce or desirable? 

EF53A2AF-ED0A-4D92-BF24-6CF9609241BC.jpeg

That's a book you don't see too often. But I think it has a pretty limited fan base. This feature was in the back of either Adventure of Action comics in the early sixties; not exactly a light your fire type of strip! I think Detective Chimp was more interesting and should have got his own book before Congo Bill!

On 10/4/2021 at 5:42 PM, PopKulture said:

It's desirable as a really cool, oddball DC, that's for sure. I've had a decent example of a serial poster for some time now, but the comics have eluded me. 

Congo_Bill.jpg

That reminds me; TCM runs serials on Satrurday mornings sometimes. I was recording Terry and the Pirates and noticed that after that they started showing Bomba the Jungle Boy films. I don't recommend them as they were terribly boring but it must have been a popular genre in the forties.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:00 AM, Robot Man said:

These are cool reads as well as the Sensation horror ones. I still need an upgrade on one of these. Probably a little more possible than the Phantom Strangers. 

comstarspangledrun4.jpg

Yeah I need to get one or two of those someday. Star Spangled had an interesting history to say the least. A far cry from the earliest issues with the Star Spangled Kid and Stripsey. Though they have recycled those character in the recent Stargirl series to good effect.

On 11/23/2021 at 12:18 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yeah I need to get one or two of those someday. Star Spangled had an interesting history to say the least. A far cry from the earliest issues with the Star Spangled Kid and Stripsey. Though they have recycled those character in the recent Stargirl series to good effect.

I have a few spotty early issues. The ones I have concentrated on were #65 on. Robin, Robot Man, Tomahawk and Capt Compass are all great reads. Being a PCH guy, I had to finish off the run. 

On 11/23/2021 at 12:15 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

At least you got issue 1; you sometimes might find the others a bit cheaper. I picked up a VG copy of #2 for $200 at the last San Diego con I was at in the latter 2010's and it was a great deal.

949718360_Phantom2001.thumb.jpg.903da2f4527462b54c1bd759a76c77cc.jpg

The #1 came in a small PCH flea market find. Love the “surrealistic” cover. Keeping an eye open for the roller coaster issue...