• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OBSCURE DC'S! - Post 'em if you love 'em!
5 5

395 posts in this topic

I remember seeing some of these books at flea markets in the seventies; Mr. District Attorney distinctly comes to mind. At the time I was interested in ducks, DC superheros, DC sci-fi, and Captain America so I just passed them by! Too bad. My favorite flea market memory was a copy of All Flash 1 under glass at an antique dealer for the princely sum of $20. I was probably twelve with no job so it might as well have been ten thousand dollars at that point. No way I could talk Dad into that one; he had already rejected spending a dollar on a bunch of early Superman comics exclaiming, "A dollar! They should be ten cents!" I never let him forget that one! He's passed on now but we used to joke about that line all the time!

On 11/27/2021 at 11:56 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Nice collection of a little seen book. Buzzy is fun too! With Scribbly back up features in some issues.

The Binky & Buzzy issues with Scribbly back-ups.  I've got all 15 issues of Scribbly, as well, if somebody wants me to post those here as well...

Scribbly_12a_Binky_15.jpg

Scribbly_12b_Buzzy_32.jpg

Scribbly_13a_Buzzy_33.jpg

Scribbly_13b_Buzzy_34.jpg

Scribbly_14a_Buzzy_39.jpg

On 10/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

My brother won this copy of Picture Stories from the Bible at his LCS back east and gave it to me since I am the family DC fan. It made me realize this is certainly one of the more obscure DC's first published under their banner then migrating to the early EC label but this version has no logo. The book interior looks just like your standard All American DC with the Editorial Advisory Council featured on the inner front cover. I looked this series up on GCD and it was all written and illustrated by two individuals; not familiar names. I might actually read this one as it is actually pretty decent in hand. Max Gaines was on a mission with his attempts to educate children with the holy book. I'd love to learn more about the history of this series.

BibleOldTestament.thumb.jpg.eac22d5850c6d079b76c1bbb036aff38.jpg

Max Gaines printed the material in a variety of formats.  The New Testament had 3 different cover publishers; DC on the #1, All American on the #2, and EC on the #3 (which I don't have yet, other than the collected edition.).  Further complicating matters, the #2 is AA on the cover but the indicia shows the publisher as Educational Comcs... making it arguably the first EC comic.  The other popular candidate is Picture Stories from American History #1, which is the first book with the EC logo, but largely reprints filler material from various AA books.

Picture_Stories_NT_1.jpg

Picture_Stories_NT_2.jpg

On 11/27/2021 at 3:43 PM, OtherEric said:

Max Gaines printed the material in a variety of formats.  The New Testament had 3 different cover publishers; DC on the #1, All American on the #2, and EC on the #3 (which I don't have yet, other than the collected edition.).  Further complicating matters, the #2 is AA on the cover but the indicia shows the publisher as Educational Comcs... making it arguably the first EC comic.  The other popular candidate is Picture Stories from American History #1, which is the first book with the EC logo, but largely reprints filler material from various AA books.

Picture_Stories_NT_1.jpg

Picture_Stories_NT_2.jpg

Don't forget to look for this Complete New Testament issue...I'm not sure if it's an EC or DC...and I'm too lazy to look in the guide to find out...:cry:

40108809244_f1215d0b60_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 11/27/2021 at 4:19 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Don't forget to look for this Complete New Testament issue...I'm not sure if it's and EC or DC...and I'm too lazy to look in the guide to find out...:cry:

It's EC, since the 3rd issue was purely EC.  Not sure if the complete "Life of Christ" edition (which is only the first two issues) is DC or EC.

On 11/27/2021 at 5:27 PM, OtherEric said:

It's EC, since the 3rd issue was purely EC.  Not sure if the complete "Life of Christ" edition (which is only the first two issues) is DC or EC.

I did look it up.  This is the 1946 edition.  You need both, 1945 (40c) and 1946 (50c)...Have fun...:)

On 11/27/2021 at 4:19 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Don't forget to look for this Complete New Testament issue...I'm not sure if it's and EC or DC...and I'm too lazy to look in the guide to find out...:cry:

It's pretty wild to think that EC grew out of this. Makes you wonder what would have happened if Max Gaines hadn't been killed and was around to manage the company. No classic fifties EC and no Mad! Although I'm sure Kurtzman would have landed elsewhere and done something else we'd love.

On 11/27/2021 at 4:48 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

It's pretty wild to think that EC grew out of this. Makes you wonder what would have happened if Max Gaines hadn't been killed and was around to manage the company. No classic fifties EC and no Mad! Although I'm sure Kurtzman would have landed elsewhere and done something else we'd love.

Definitely.

Trump_01.jpg

Help_01.jpg

Humbug_05.jpg