• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OBSCURE DC'S! - Post 'em if you love 'em!
5 5

395 posts in this topic

Here's an under appreciated obscure DC. You don't see these around too much but they are fun books and fun to read if you like these two clowns. This was an early and long run series for DC published from 1939 to 1958; but try finding some!! I also like the fact that the covers didn't follow the DC / AA standard until sometime around 1945 with freely lettered price tags and lacking the normal look of the rest of the line. They do contain ads for the remaining lines though.

157987.jpg.000c045f2af797a70bb10e45c8a7c719.jpg

Another book that I have always found fascinating is Funny Stuff. We've had a few posted already.The first time I got one of these was from a dealer on the West Coast called BEA. who issued a catalog every month in the late seventies. I used to get them growing up in NJ and send away for books. It turns out BEA was located in Temple City, CA which is about three miles from where I live now; the books have come back with me in two cross country journeys. Anyway, some of the first DC Golden Age I laid my hands on were issues of Funny Stuff. Sheldon Meyer's name was known to me from Sugar and Spike and the reboot of the Three Mouseketeers and I had expected to see an early rendition of those characters in these books. What a surprise to open the book and see this very mature looking strip instead heavily influence by the Dumas novel!!

157989.jpg.dafc5d83c05b4798d9bd2a202b944004.jpg

157990.jpg.9ea8a9302cb3fd177a9b2866f78efa5d.jpg

Along with the Three Mouseketeers, R Rufus Lion, Blackie Bear and Bulldog Drumhead the book featured McSnurtle the Turtle sometimes known as the Terrific Whatzit. In a marketing move clearly thought out over a three martini lunch with colleague Bob Wood someone at DC thought that cleverly having a turtle mimic the Flash would get the youngun's hooked on the DC line and ready to graduate to Flash and All Flash comics!

157991.jpg.b6678164df794768d0eb553b9d65c1b5.jpg

This one should qualify.

While Roy rogers Started off In the Four Color series prior to getting his own DELL series, His partner had her series in DC at the same time

The DC series ran for 24 issues and then she had 2 Four Color tryout issues prior to spinning off to her own Dell series under the title Queen of the West, Dale Evens.

Dale%20Evans%208_zpslmu6s4dp.jpg

Dale%20Evans%208%20bc_zpsvmasfcei.jpg

Thanks so much for the links. However, that DC Indexes list of Sherman's work doesn't have him as working on Real Fact #18.

Looking at the sample of Sherman's Dr. Fate work, it seems hard to believe it's the same artist, unless he matured dramatically in a few years.

So does anyone know for sure who this artist is - whether it's Sherman or not? Thanks!

158069.jpg.9e3042158d3d09e8991b5c88a0a2cebe.jpg

Here's this weekends entry. A copy of Star Spangled 109 I picked up from Ray Storch at Wonder Con a number of years ago. Ray had a fantastic collection of obscure DC's that I spent hours poking through that day. I had never owned a copy of a Robin Star Spangled issue so this was a fun pickup. I re-read the Tomahawk story today which is quite good. The book has an inside front cover BW ad for Tomohawk #1 and an interior full page ad for Danger Trail #2. This was clearly some sweet years for the obscure DC collector!!

158151.jpg.32bfbf5cac1b9cd512f102b683dad5c2.jpg