• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweet 16, Round 1: Hulk #180-182 vs Watchmen #1-12

Hulk #180-182 vs Watchmen #1-12  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Hulk #180-182 vs Watchmen #1-12

41 posts in this topic

OK, you guys wanted to see these books battle each other through my abilities instead of the ranking system, so here goes. The first round will feature Watchmen #1-12 vs Hulk #180-182. If you would like to know more about these stories, do a google search and you will be able to find out plot summeries and reviews.

Watchmen #1-12. Published by DC 1986. Written by Alan Moore with art by Dave Gibbons.

Hulk #180-182. Published by Marvel 1974. Written by Len Wein with art by Herb Trimpe.

And we're off...

I'm not a Watchmen fan(have read the books) but their overall importance to the comic industry does beat a 1st appearance in a crappy storyline. Wolverine has sold a lot of books....but these issues didn't make Marvel very much money when they first came out because no one cared about them.

I'm voting Watchmen....but I hope it loses next round. poke2.gif

Although Wolverine is the most important (and ubiquitous) comic character of the last three decades, the question to ask is which is more influential regarding what's on today's store shelves. Watchmen, thematically and stylistically wins on every level here. While Hulk 180 - 182 was merely the first appearance of a character that was scarcely more than a gimmick in that story.

Watchmen should be odds-on to win the contest.

the question to ask is which is more influential regarding what's on today's store shelves.

Right, that's the question to ask.

Wolverine is the most important (and ubiquitous) comic character of the last three decades

Thank you for making the point.

even though Wolvie is the Marvel icon that makes them the most money and has basically kept them in reader that last 20 years or so....and is my fave character in the Marvel universe...

i went with Watchmen....a ground breaking series that was a big direction change for DC and revitalized the company as a whole...

Hurrmmm....

even though Wolvie is the Marvel icon that makes them the most money and has basically kept them in reader that last 20 years or so....and is my fave character in the Marvel universe...

i went with Watchmen....a ground breaking series that was a big direction change for DC and revitalized the company as a whole...

Hurrmmm....

Wow, that's revisionist thinking. Watchmen AT THE TIME was a cool book, but there was no "big direction change", nor was there revitalization for DC from it. If that's the reason for your votes, you better be voting for New Teen Titans 1 and Dark Knight 1, as those are the two books THAT AT THE TIME did both of those things. frustrated.gif

the question to ask is which is more influential regarding what's on today's store shelves.

Right, that's the question to ask.

Wolverine is the most important (and ubiquitous) comic character of the last three decades

Thank you for making the point.

The point being, in case you missed it, was that it was the gradual development of the character by Byrne/Claremont, and then Miller, that made him the market leader that he is now, not Hulk 180 - 182 specifically. It must've taken 3-5 years before Marvel realized his potential, not to mention that he didn't get his own ongoing series for at least a decade after his introduction, by which time the character had developed and changed considerably.

This versus a series of only 12 issues whose huge STYLISTIC influence in the marketplace notwithstanding, is widely regarded as the most ambitious, PERFECTLY REALIZED, and superlative comic run ever. No enhancements, origin and backstory rebooting, or reshaping of character and powers.

Just those 12 issues.

It should be interesting. My bet is that Watchmen takes it. Moore has the shills on his side.

We really need to have some Moore vs. Moore fights to whittle them down. Otherwise the Moore shills will just ruin it.

27_laughing.gifdevil.gif

It's Wolverine...or Hulk 180-182...

Said it last time....the 1st appearance of one of the most popular characters in comics (note I didn't say Marvel) trumps most any Bronze or later comic...to include Watchmen. Watchmen's a great story, no doubt. Wolverine is it's own comics industry in and of itself. Marvel, and readers, would be much poorer without the character...

But I suspect the Watchmen shills will be out in force on this one judging by some of the recent "bloated" voting... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Jim

I've voted for Watchmen as well, ever since I've come to know Greggy I have a problem with vertically challenged Canadians... confused-smiley-013.gif

Besides, while the Hulk books may have a larger historic significance, the art and story weren't very good...

Yes I am an Alan Moore shill....

I've voted for Watchmen as well, ever since I've come to know Greggy I have a problem with vertically challenged Canadians... confused-smiley-013.gif

Besides, while the Hulk books may have a larger historic significance, the art and story weren't very good...

Yes I am an Alan Moore shill....

Make sure you vote from your work computer and Richard's as well! hi.gif

Wolverine kept Marvel alive, while Watchmen was just a good read popcorn.gif

I thought we were comparing stories (Hulk 180-182 vs. Watchmen 1-12) not characters...