• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO eyes WATCHMEN for T.V. series.
3 3

311 posts in this topic

Damon Lindelof On Why He Feels WATCHMEN Needs To Be Brought To The Small Screen

During a discussion with The Good Place's Mike Schur at Vulture Fest LA on Saturday, Lindelof revealed his motivations for bringing the revered graphic novel to cable television.

"Watchmen - it was dangerous," said Lindelof. "And you can’t be dangerous for dangerous’ sake, but the reason that I’m doing this is these are dangerous times, and we need dangerous shows.” A valid point given the almost daily barrage of bad news these days. 

He goes on to talk about the superhero genre and the real world threats in our current culture by saying, “What we think about superheroes is wrong. I love the Marvel movies and we saw Justice League this morning and I’m all for Wonder Woman and Batman and I grew up on these characters, but we should not trust people who put on masks and say that they are looking out for us. If you hide your face, you are up to no good.”

In addition, Lindelof had this to say about Alan Moore, who famously looks down upon any attempts to adapt his work.

"The greatest writer in the history of comics - maybe one of the greatest writers of all time – and he most certainly doesn’t want us to be doing this and we’re trying to find a way to do it that honors him … That comic was written in the mid-80s. It is more timely now, in 2018, 2019, whenever the show airs, if it airs, that it needs to be told. For a superhero junkie, I’ve never done a superhero movie or a superhero TV show, and now is the time."

:whatthe:

Could WWE Superstar John Cena Be Up For The Role Of Dr. Manhattan In HBO's WATCHMEN TV Series?

d9c0SV2.png

Zack Snyder's Watchmen is widely considered a masterpiece among comic book fans but an HBO series fleshing that world out is undeniably exciting. It seems to still be very early days for the project but could producers have already started looking at casting some of the key roles? Well, that's what many people believe after John Cena shared a couple of very interesting Instagram posts this past week.

Cena is still active within WWE but is clearly making an effort to become the next Dwayne Johnson with starring (and well-received) roles in the likes of Daddy's Home 2 and Trainwreck. He'll also be the lead star of upcoming Transformers spinoff Bumblebee, easily his biggest Hollywood role to date. 

So, could he play Dr. Manhattan on the small screen?

'The Watchmen' TV Series Gets Filming Start Date

According to That Hashtag Show, Watchmen will begin filming in March 2018. The project is being developed by Lost and The Leftovers alum Damon Lindelof, who happens to be a longtime of the comic series. Lindelof, who is acting as executive producer for the show, has previously said that he's interested in making the series because a dangerous world needs dangerous television.

"Watchmen -- it was dangerous," Lindelof said earlier this at Vulture Fest LA. "And you can't be dangerous for dangerous' sake, but the reason that I'm doing this is these are dangerous times and we need dangerous shows. What we think about superheroes is wrong. I love the Marvel movies and we saw Justice League this morning and I’m all for Wonder Woman and Batman and I grew up on these characters, but we should not trust people who put on masks and say that they are looking out for us. If you hide your face, you are up to no good.”

HBO President Calls 'Watchmen' TV Series -script "Amazing," Expects to Shoot This Year

With hits like Game of Thrones, Big Little Lies, Insecure and Westworld, it's safe to say that HBO knows good television. So, when network president Casey Bloys praises the work being done on The Watchmen series, it's worth getting excited.

During HBO's presentation at the TCA winter tour on Friday, Bloys talked all about the upcoming shows on the network. When it came time to address The Watchmen series being developed by Damon Lindelof, Bloys didn't say much, but he made sure to throw a ton of coal in the engines of the hype train.

"I've read the -script, it's amazing," Bloys said. "I'm thrilled, I imagine we'll shoot that this year."

The first, and perhaps most substantial takeaway from the statement is that the higher-ups at the network are more than happy with The Watchmen. With Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof at the helm, this shouldn't have been much of a surprise. Bloys' statement also confirmed a production start date for the DC series. Various reports had speculated that production on The Watchmen could start as early as March of this year, and Bloys goes a long way in confirming that idea.

WATCHMEN HBO TV Series Enlists THE LEFTOVERS Director Nicole Kassell To Helm The Pilot

According to Deadline, The Leftovers showrunner Damon Lindelof has enlisted one of that series' directors, Nicole Kassell, to helm the pilot episode for his Watchmen TV show for HBO.

Kassell directed 2 episodes of The Leftovers, both of which were critically acclaimed. She also helmed installments of Westworld, Claws, The Americans, and 2004 drama The Woodsman starring Kevin Bacon.

We're still not certain what to expect from this take on Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' classic tale, but by all accounts the show will be completely separate to Zack Snyder's - who was actually involved with the series at one point - 2009 feature, which in turn means it'll most likely take quite a few liberties with the source material.

Mark Hamill May Be A Fan Of the WATCHMEN Film

ok6Ws65nDSLAIKkKgIjqyM5OGCc.jpg

Since then, many have come forward to recognize the film as one of the gems of the comic book genre. One such person seems to be Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill. A fan asked Hamill on Twitter what his favorite movie to watch was.

It wouldn’t be the first time someone from geek culture has come out in support of Snyder’s adaptation. Doctor Strange director Scott Derrickson has said in the past that he considers the ultimate cut of Watchmen to be a “masterwork”.

Damon Lindelof And HBO's WATCHMEN Won't Be A Direct Adaptation Of The Alan Moore Comic

To explain how he plans to treat the source material, Lindelof first explained how Noah Hawley (Legion) treated the Fargo film when creating the Fargo television series:

“[Adapting] may be the right word, at the end of the day. Do you watch Fargo at all? I wouldn't call Noah Hawley's version of Fargo an adaptation because the movie exists inside of his world, and so everything that happened in the movie Fargo, it does precede the television show Fargo. So they find a bag of money in the first season, and you go, 'Oh, that came from the movie.' But it's also, Noah is pulling from other areas of the Coen brothers' canon, so it evokes like Lebowski, but it's also his own thing.”

In other words, fans shouldn’t expect the series to be a strict panel-for-panel recreation, which fans mostly got in the Zack Snyder film. Lindelof even compares his treatment of the Watchmen source material to how Moore created the series, noting how Moore based his characters off of those from Charleton Comics:

“That's the spirit of what he did with Watchmen in the first place. It's not to take [anything from him]. He created this -- it's an original -- but the basis for that world is on these other characters that DC had just bought from this comics company called Charlton. And he did rips on those characters.”

The show-runner even defended adaptations of Watchmen against Alan Moore, who is staunchly against them, by saying the writer is being hypocritical as he himself “told iconic stories with characters that he didn't create.”

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

The show-runner even defended adaptations of Watchmen against Alan Moore, who is staunchly against them, by saying the writer is being hypocritical as he himself “told iconic stories with characters that he didn't create.”

0b9.gif

I love Alan Moore's work, but I don't think I'd be able to talk more than ten minutes with the guy about any topic of depth before i couldn't stand him anymore.  He's arrogant as hell.

But I get why Lindelof would go offensive like that.  He knew before he started working on the project that he'd be doing it with a creator who would never cooperate with him and who would resent the fact that he was doing the work to begin with.

EXCLUSIVE: Character Details for HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Pilot

Filming is slated to begin on HBO’s Watchmen pilot early next month and we have some intel about what to expect from the Damon Lindelof production and it’s not at all what you’d be expecting. Lindelof is on record as a fan of the 2009 film by Zack Snyder and believes now is the time to tell the Watchmen story again because, according to him, “these are dangerous times.” We know that Lindelof has put a great deal of work into developing the show but we don’t know exactly what to expect from the pilot and the breakdowns for the group of series regulars that we got our hands on leave us with more questions than answers. Check them out below!

• Angela Abraham: African-American female cop. Independent and intelligent, she’s also a realist. She’s married to Cal, with whom she has a daughter and is fiercely protective of them both.
  • Cal Abraham: African-American male who is the stay-at-home husband of Angela. While he seems at home as the king of his castle and being a loving husband and father, it’s clear his past has a different story to tell.
  • Looking Glass: A good looking cop, the native Oklahoman isn’t simple as his rural accent makes him appear to be. A top interrogator and behavioral scientist, he may also be a bit of a sociopath.
  • Panda: An ethnic desk cop, he’s cynical and tough and puts his job first. Not a friend to many, he uses comedy to keep people at bay.
  • Red Scare: Mafioso, track suit wearing cop. His Russian accent lends to his abrasiveness.
  • Pirate Jenny: An androgynous and lustful bisexual cop, Jenny is an anarchist at heart. 
  • Jane Crawford: The wife of the police chief, Judd, Jane is a veterinarian who’s sharper than her guarded persona lets on.
  • Old Man: A former cop who is still an imposing figure despite his age.

Based on what we’re seeing here, we can expect at least the pilot episode to revolve around a group of Oklahoma police officers? Fans of the comics will know that as the Watchmen grew in popularity, many police went on strike to protest their jobs being taken away by costumed vigilantes. Could the pilot revolve around this event, known as the Police Strike of 1977?

Interesting. So we are not going to experience a rehash of the original story.

Production on HBO's new Watchmen series is beginning to ramp up and now, we have a working title for the show, hinting that it'll enter production sometime soon.

According to Production Weekly, the HBO show featuring Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' fan-favorite characters will film under the working title of "Brooklyn."

With the exception of some recent casting breakdowns surfacing online, little has been revealed about HBO's latest entry into the superhero genre.

Those casting breakdowns don't reveal any information about primary characters. Rather, they seem as they're searching for several characters involved in law enforcement.

Back in January, it was reported that Nicole Kassell had been tabbed to direct the show's pilot episode. Kassell has directed several episodes of The Leftovers, a show created by Lost alum Damon Lindelof, who will be serving as an executive producer on Watchmen. Kassell's additional credits include indie movie The Woodsman, as well as episodes of Claws, The Americans, Better Call Saul, and American Crime.

HBO's WATCHMEN Pilot Cast Six Actors For Lead Roles But Are They Playing The Core Team Of Heroes?

The cast of Watchmen is starting to come together as six actors have been cast in Damon Lindelof's HBO pilot today. Those are Regina King, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Adelaide Clemens, and Andrew Howard, with King described as the actual lead of the planned series. Unfortunately, specific details on who they'll all be playing having actually been revealed right now.

However, it's hard to ignore the fact that the core Watchmen team was made up of six characters -Dr. Manhattan, Ozymandias, Nite-Owl, Rorschach, Silk Spectre, and The Comedian. Recent comments from Lindelof have pointed to the show being set in the same world but with new characters in the present.

Some took his comments to mean that he'll reimagine the heroes listed above in a different setting but we simply don't know at this stage. With any luck, though, more details will start popping up soon.

King's credits include The Leftovers and The Strain. Johnson has shown up in cop shows like Miami Vice and Nash Bridges, Nelson is known for everything from The Incredible Hulk to Lincoln, while Gossett's career has spanned sixty years and he won an Oscar for his work in An Officer and a Gentleman. Clemens has popped up in Rectify and Parade’s End and Howard will be known to fanboys after starring in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's a pretty impressive ensemble!

On 5/23/2018 at 5:29 PM, Comicopolis said:

"being set in the same world but with new characters in the present"

Oh boy.

Good catch. So this could now mean no Dr. Manhattan, Ozymandias, Nite-Owl, Rorschach, Silk Spectre, and The Comedian?

Honestly, if that is true my enthusiasm for the show would go way down.

I'm open to it being aware that Moore's original design always meant that the characters in Watchmen are based on already existing ones which never made them feel original if you were aware of it.  He originally wanted to use Charlton characters after DC acquired the rights to them, but he was convinced to create parallels of them instead since Moore wanted to kill some of them off.  Because of this I've always thought of Watchmen quite separately than I think of other superheroes.  Moore intended them to be disposable to comment on and change the entire nature of being a superhero, so I never got attached to them.  He never intended for them to be ongoing characters so I don't think of them that way either.

Here's a list of the original Charlton characters mapped to their Watchmen counterparts:

http://watchmen.wikia.com/wiki/Charlton_Comics

Charlton-Watchmen.gif

Edited by fantastic_four