• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO eyes WATCHMEN for T.V. series.
3 3

311 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I always thought Bruce Timm was brilliant because they wrote The Question in JLU to be exactly like Rorschach. 

Or was Rorshach created by Moore to be exactly like The Question?  I've never read the 1960s Charlton comics to know.  Here's The Question's first appearance from 1967:

0.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

The entire design of Watchmen was art, not an ongoing superhero series.  So all of the attempts by DC to keep the characters going never interested me.  If someone tells me that "Beyond Watchmen" or "Before Watchmen" or whatever featuring those characters is good I'll read it, but I haven't heard that yet so I haven't and just think of Watchmen as a one-shot until someone tells me different.  The fact that this series isn't clinging to the characters interests me more, not less, despite the fact that I really did enjoy Rorshach and the Comedian and Nite Owl and the Jupiters.

I didn't read Watchmen in the 1980s, I read it in the early 2000s after I saw it on several "best literary works of the 20th century" lists.  It's the only comic-related work I've ever seen transcend the medium and be considered seriously by literary critics.

59 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The entire design of Watchmen was art, not an ongoing superhero series.  So all of the attempts by DC to keep the characters going never interested me.  If someone tells me that "Beyond Watchmen" or "Before Watchmen" or whatever featuring those characters is good I'll read it, but I haven't heard that yet so I haven't and just think of Watchmen as a one-shot until someone tells me different.  The fact that this series isn't clinging to the characters interests me more, not less, despite the fact that I really did enjoy Rorshach and the Comedian and Nite Owl and the Jupiters.

I didn't read Watchmen in the 1980s, I read it in the early 2000s after I saw it on several "best literary works of the 20th century" lists.  It's the only comic-related work I've ever seen transcend the medium and be considered seriously by literary critics.

If they are going to call it Watchmen,than I hope it will be about Watchmen. You know not trying to live off the name of Watchmen? I was actually looking forward to seeing HBO adventures of Rorsharch and the Comedian. Not some generic characters they will make up to try to connect to the Watchmen name. (shrug)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

22 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

It was terrible - don't waste your time reading it.