• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Comics NOT Heating Up...But Should Be...

50 posts in this topic

Action 258: 2nd Supergirl cover, plus she learns Clark Kent is Superman.

Adventure 278: 1st Supergirl story (and cover) outside Action or Superman. She would take over the title nine years later.

Adventure 397: 1st "new" Supergirl

So, I see very little movement on Supergirl books, even with the show premiering soon. I think Adventure #381, Action #285, #253, and others aren't getting much attention.

hm

Any other SA books that *should* be heating up, but aren't?

Hey RMA! Regardless of any Ignore aspects, I have decided if something intelligent/interesting is said, I'll reply without rancor, TV shows don't seem to have the impact of movies. I mean, come ON, Groot's first appearance in TTA 13 going for HOW much now? Because of one movie that had great $$$ success. Same with The Avengers due to the $$$ success of the movie. I think also the Marvel name in movies is actually hearkening back to the Marvel Fandom of the 60s. The Doc Strange movie isn't even out yet but the ST 110 is going through the roof. And books like Doc 169 and even the BA Doc #1 are seeing large increases.

I think that DC just does not have the appeal, beyond Batman related characters in general.

I agree with you that the upcoming Supergirl show could or should have had some impact. Especially in Action 252 (a very undervalued book IMO). But I think ultimately, these schisms we are seeing is due to money coming from specific mindsets that may not actually be valid when looking at comic book characters overall.

As far as seeing things heating up. I have noticed some books like Tec 474 (first Deadshot), Doorway to Nightmare 1 (first Madame Xanadu in anticipation of the JL Dark movie) and Brother Voodoo (Strange Tales 169) due to his taking over Doc Strange's duties in The New Avengers 53.

It seems fame is a fickle thing.

PS - While you said SA, I think the above, while a bit BA centric, holds true. And I do think DC has a modern day curse on it due to Marvel. Considering DC brought us some of the most iconic heroes, it is a sad. But such is fandom.

TV shows don't seem to have the impact of movies.

Showcase #4 would disagree with you. A book that was once a slow mover has become a hot book.

TV shows don't seem to have the impact of movies.

Showcase #4 would disagree with you. A book that was once a slow mover has become a hot book.

One exception does not a rule make. Look at, for example, Battlestar Galactica

It goes back in TV land. The latest iteration was well received. But basically zero impact. Why?

And even bringing up Showcase 4 is unfair since it is already considered a major key (start of the DV Silver Age). Okay, I said "DC Silver Age, and IMO it is. I also see FF1 as the start of the Marvel SA. Showcase 4, like FF 1, had its day back when. This is NOT to slander or denigrate important books. But even now their importance is diminished a bit monetarily. It is sad that $$$ has become such a standard for importance.

Interesting topic......

I think most Marvel keys/semi-keys (AF 15 and IH 1 being somewhat Teflon)have reached a level of awareness that has created a bit of a ceiling. Some are better long term books than short term (ASM 1 and FF 1), while some of the books that have seen a big run-up have possibly topped out, at least somewhat (ST 110). Just conjecture on my part.

I think DC books have a nice amount of room for growth, actually, and I say that as someone who doesn't own a single DC SA book. As Roy pointed out SC 4 has already seen an increase, and I'd be surprised if some of the "forgotten" keys, like ADV 247 (which has already seen some uptick, based on GPA) and TEC 225 don't see gains in the future.

While I always thought that ADV 247 suffered from a bit of over-exposure 25-30 years ago due to OSPG (for better or worse) really pushing every even somewhat early Legion appearance as a semi-key, I now think it might be under-exposed.

So my answer is early DC SA keys with good PQ. Probably a cop-out.

Seriously, all just opinion. Who knows.....

Not sure why people think DC haven't been heating up. That's simply not true.

Aquaman 1, 11, 29, 35; Action 242, 252; Brave and Bold 28; Doom Patrol 99; Flash 123, 139; MGA 80 have all gone up by leaps and bounds, among plenty of others.

I agree DCs in general are undervalued, though I think that's starting to change. And, yes, much agreement that the Flash TV show has lit a fire under not just Showcase 4 but a host of lesser Flash keys.

And that goes to an interesting dynamic about movies/TV. I agree that movies seem to have more power to supercharge books. Guardians of the Galaxy being an obvious example.

BUT...I think the long-term impact of a successful TV show will, in most cases be orders of magnitude greater. Movies come and go. Very few of them insinuate themselves into people's lives for the long term (Star Wars being the most obvious counter-example, but one that's been bolstered by five additional movies and phenomenal toy marketing).

It'd be interesting to compare which movies vs. TV shows have had the greatest impact on the hobby, from a speculating/investing standpoint and otherwise.

I think the Flash has the potential to be a generational milestone. My third-grade son would bond over episodes with high-school kids at his school. A few more seasons and the show will be a generational touchstone that'll be powering comic-book prices after we're gone.

Batman Adventures and its kin have and will have similar effects, I think, even beyond Harley's popularity.

If Gotham manages to stick around and cement an audience, that's a generation of kids growing up intimately familiar with (and eventually nostalgic for) the B players of Batman's universe.

Any other thoughts on shows vs. movies? (Maybe we should start a new thread...)

Aquaman 1, 11, 29, 35; Action 242, 252; Brave and Bold 28; Doom Patrol 99; Flash 123, 139; MGA 80 have all gone up by leaps and bounds, among plenty of others.

these are the outliers. bizarre outliers to be fair. Aquaman #35 has gone up 10X :insane:

but the vast majority of DC is as dead or deader than it's ever been. pick nearly any random issue in nearly any DC silver run and current GPA in the higher grades will be 30-50% off the high. maybe that's true of Marvel as well, i don't know.

I agree. I had mostly DC keys on the wall in Baltimore. Sold a lot more to the general public than I thought I ever would and people seemed genuinely impressed that I had so many available.

Although Marvels have typically been the most popular movers, I've always wanted to collect DCs mostly because I think they're just so much tougher on the whole.

I wouldn't over bet Action 252. I really don't think it's that great a bet long term. It's a fairly common book, except in high grade.

these are the outliers. bizarre outliers to be fair. Aquaman #35 has gone up 10X :insane:

but the vast majority of DC is as dead or deader than it's ever been. pick nearly any random issue in nearly any DC silver run and current GPA in the higher grades will be 30-50% off the high. maybe that's true of Marvel as well, i don't know.

It's hard to gauge because the market has become so key centric. I think common run Marvels are suffering as well.

I think that's true of Marvel as well, and of comics generally -- although the discounts to highs might not be as pronounced. If it's not a key or a semi-key or not a cool cover, it's flat or dead, whatever you want to call it. Great time to buy for collectors and completionists.

For investors/speculators, and collectors chasing their missing keys/semi-keys, early DC SA is on fire right now with room to grow. I think Marvel SA keys/semis have hit their peaks -- for now. One exception is early ASMs. The 1-16,18, 20, 28 lot (basically, the 1st app rogues' gallery) is seeing renewed interest because of a Spidey reboot being done correctly and unleashing a lot of possibilities with the Spidey-baddies.

As for non-252 early Supergirls, give "Supergirl" time to click with viewers. All those semi-key early SA Flash issues were not really spiking full gas until everyone saw what a total badspoon Eobard Thawne/Dr. Wells really is. I do believe CBS will have a huge hit on their hands with "Supergirl" and hopefully this ushers in even more female collectors to the hobby.

I wouldn't over bet Action 252. I really don't think it's that great a bet long term. It's a fairly common book, except in high grade.

I like 252. You get the double whammy of both Supergirl and Metallo, an iconic cover, and there are a few hundred less copies in the census than BB28.

It's hard to gauge because the market has become so key centric. I think common run Marvels are suffering as well.

I get the impression that there is a far bigger audience for Silver ( and Bronze) keys than there is for Silver Age books in general. Obviously, key books have always had stronger demand than runs in general, but it seems as if the interest in Silver Age doesn't extend much beyond acquiring keys for many collectors. Perhaps this in part due to readily available reprints, and an investment mentality, but it might also be because those quaint and frequently juvenile stories, as entetaining as they still can be, lack resonance with younger readers still interested in the roots of their favored characters. Is this perception wrong on my part?

I don’t know… I don’t think it’s possible to dismiss something as "quaint and juvenile" while many modern stories we are presented with are childish and superficial in their apperance of "maturity" and in their themes. Dramatic, maybe, but not of good quality.

To judge a story in such a way means more than often that you are just superficial. We have too many embarassing writers right now working for the big publishers, and the independent titles are often more "sensational" than anything other.

And while I do agree some stories are not that much, this goes a lot more for late Bronze and Copper than for Silver. That whole involvement with toys (Secret Wars, Micronauts, ROM, Crystar) was just silly, and while it occasionally produced good stuff, like the Micronauts, it marked a change and not for good.

the TV shows have sometimes done well for minor 1st apps Killer Frost, etc. that you find in Firestorm...

basically turning a dollar box book into a $15-$30 book overnight (raw)

i don't know if bullseye or elektra showing up in the DD netflix show is going to do much to those 1sts as they aren't cheap to start with

i do see more interest in luke cage generally

the supergirl books will be interesting to watch

I think that's true of Marvel as well, and of comics generally -- although the discounts to highs might not be as pronounced. If it's not a key or a semi-key or not a cool cover, it's flat or dead, whatever you want to call it. Great time to buy for collectors and completionists.

When everything is a key or semi-key and speculators are driven to define next key book, completionists find that there are fewer non-keys than keys in a run. :ohnoez:

Do I exaggerate? Perhaps, but not by much -- and the future won't make it better. :sumo:

That Legends of Tomorrow trailer looks pretty sharp so I bought a couple graded Showcase 20's in anticipation. Hopefully something comes of it.

I also like Hulk #2, but currently don't have a copy. Since it's the first green Hulk I've always felt its significance was somewhat underrated. Most second appearances don't share such prominence.