• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bidding against each other???

28 posts in this topic

A recent conversation prompted this post/question:

Do you (as a bidder) have any problems with bidding against fellow forum members on eBay auctions?

I know some of us don't (Darth I will forever apologize for beating you on the Wolvie LS AND greggy for the GL book!) wink.gif I normally don't notice who is bidding on an auction and copy the listing into my snipe program. Like Ron Popeil likes to say, "Set it and forget it!" (Do I watch too much TV? wink.gif ). So if someone comes along later (greggy or Darth) I don't normally see them. Recently I've been bidding on small lots manually and I see some names I recognize. I usually pass these buy (you're darn lucky Darth!! wink.gif ) as a courtesy to someone I know.

How about everyone else?

I think it is OK to bid against someone you know. As long as you aren't doing it in a spiteful way (ie "I don't like that guy, so I'm going to jack up his bid"). Or as long as it isn't repetitive.

But Ebay is an open market, so if you enter your highest bid, and someone pays more than you, then how can you be upset?

If anyone on this forum bids on any auction I'm interested in, I will come to your house and smack you upside the forehead. Oh, wait, I forgot, I usually snipe...so how will you know what not to bid on? Everybody better just not bid on ANY comics to be safe. ooo.gif

I sometimes coordinate with another person on here to not have us bid each other up since we collect and frequently bid on the same Silver Age Marvels. And I've got an unspoken implicit agreement with "notch_top" that he will bid up any auction to full market value that I bid early on to punish me for all the trouble I've caused him here. tongue.gif

Hmm... having personally been sniped by a certain "scottish" on several occasions, I would have to say I think you should stop bidding altogether. My collection would be just that richer without you... grin.gif

Seriously, I don't think it matters. If I get sniped, or out-bid, it's because I'm a cheap . If someone wants to pay mroe than I do, I shrug my shoulders and move on. There's always something else to spend money on. I don't hold any ebay grudges.

I usually do 'snipe' the auctions I bid on (especially high value or poorly described ones that are diamonds in the rough) so my question may be moot.

When possible I try and avoid bidding against other nice folks (only because I'm a helluva guy) wink.gifgrin.gif

Muddy is right...if you lose an auction it's nobody's darn fault that you are a cheap miser or don't have the sense to bid higher becuase your cheapness keeps getting in the way. We all love a good bargain but be realistic. You will get outbid 99 out 100 on a hot item, key issue or other flavor of the week book if you are frugal. with all of us here discussing the same auctions and types of books we are interested in, more likely than not we will butt heads with each other.

In scottish's case though, I make it a point to chase him on his bids and bump them up higher. tongue.gif

I know Greggy and I have bid against each other several times in the past week, and it is a little weird. In the back of my mind I think that he might think that I'm outbidding him out of spite or jest, but that's never the case. I only bid on what I want and what I'm willing to pay for if I win.

I usually look up people's bids on the search engine and then run up their bids just for fun...I used to play that game all the time on scottish back on the CI.com msg forum, but then he wised up and started sniping frown.gif

Brian

I snipe ...therefore I am.

I know I probably butt-heads with more people in this forum then anyone simply because I collect silver, bronze and modern books. I know from my end, it is never anything personal and am usually willing to extend a "no bid" courtesy for someone who is really hot for a book. Of course, like the Godfather, I may one day ask that person to return the favor and if they don't...(well I think we all remember the horse's head).

As much as I like you guys and enjoy reading the threads in this forum, if I see a book I like, I will bid on it regardless of who else is bidding. I rarely even look at the other bidders actually.

However if I did see Scottish had a bid on a nice Hulk 181, I might think twice before outbidding him. He really deserves one.

However if I did see Scottish had a bid on a nice Hulk 181, I might think twice before outbidding him. He really deserves one.

It would probably be a bad bid anyway. Can you imagine the condition of the book if Scottish bid on it? smile.gif

Sorry Scottish, Just joking a little but you DO seem to have had a rather bad run of luck when it comes to that particular issue smile.gif

Phil

So many of us here appreciate and collect the same books... it's inevitable that we butt heads. Especially since we share our thoughts on undervalued/overlooked/just-plain-cool books.

I usually plug my snipe in 1-2 days prior to auctions end, at a level I'm willing to pay, and wait for the you-won/you-were-outbid e-mail.

I used to not bid on books that dealers that I have had good relations dealings with but I stopped doing it because I don't think that it has to be personal. Sure, I have bid against people just for the hell of it if they have pissed me off. I did use to be in contention with one certain person on alot of auctions but he got so pissed off by being bid up that he bid me up on everything I bid on. Then, I started just putting the minimum bids on because I wanted him to win stuff that I didn't really want. We eventually had to call a truce but it was a sad day for some dealers, as they didn't obtain the multiplie of guides on the raw books. frown.gif