• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,426 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2023 at 7:44 AM, Robot Man said:

Damn, he even killed the poor dog. Maybe not the sickest but certainly in the top 3 or 5 crime stories. The story of the woman who kills her children with a meat cleaver also comes to mind.

I guess what fascinates me is how any kid with a dime could buy this…

"The Widow of Death" in Underworld True Crime Stories #3 is one of, if not THE sickest and most depraved story in comic books.  But remember, 75% of Post War and early '50's comics were allegedly bought by adults.  The edge comics had, was that they could portray scenes that the movies could not, at the time.

Edited by fifties

On 4/14/2023 at 2:03 PM, fifties said:

"The Widow of Death" in Underworld True Crime Stories #3 is one of, if not THE sickest and most depraved story in comic books.  But remember, 75% of Post War and early '50's comics were allegedly bought by adults.  The edge comics had, was that they could portray scenes that the movies could not, at the time.

75% adults? That cannot be right...

On 4/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, Sarg said:

75% adults? That cannot be right...

Yeah, it struck me as a bit exaggerated as well, when I read it.  But if you consider the genres of the time, crime, horror, romance, war, vs westerns and funny animals, the majority would seem tilted to the over 16 crowd.  I'll try to locate the source of the 75% adult readership post. 

Is it just me?   :devil:

All kidding aside. I just had to buy this one. My grandpa loved mysteries. There was no talking when Perry Mason was on TV. Erle Stanley Gardner was his favorite mystery author.

He had tons of old paperbacks in his study. I slept in there when I visited. The covers on these books were quite intriguing to me as a young lad. Just about every one had some scantly clad young lady.

This ain’t one of those but one that sure grabs your attention. It even got a smirk from my wife when she saw it on the table. 

A15DEB1E-9D0D-4A37-B259-A91AD7C92BF2.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

On 4/19/2023 at 4:11 PM, Robot Man said:

Is it just me?   :devil:

All kidding aside. I just had to buy this one. My grandpa loved mysteries. There was no talking when Perry Mason was on TV. Erle Stanley Gardner was his favorite mystery author.

He had tons of old paperbacks in his study. I slept in there when I visited. The covers on these books were quite intriguing to me as a young lad. Just about every one had some scantly clad young lady.

This ain’t one of those but one that sure grabs your attention. It even got a smirk from my wife when she saw it on the table. 

A15DEB1E-9D0D-4A37-B259-A91AD7C92BF2.jpeg

It's not just you. lol

On 4/23/2023 at 5:24 AM, FoggyNelson said:

So many crime comic cover which I have never seen before, like above ! Very detailed artwork 👏👍

You're not alone.  I've been collecting them for awhile now, and there are many that I've never seen either, just like those two.

Here's a few more from my depraved collection;

Almanac of Crime 1.jpg

CDNP 23.jpg

Exposed 1.jpg

Fight Against Crime 17.jpg

Two down two to go…

Is it a mystery book, a romance book, a crime book or all of the above with a horror twist?

A fun read in the Superior tradition. Murder, GGA with a cool Jack Kamen cover. Cool series!

Books like this are what I look for but rarely find at shows and websites. 

IMG_6425.jpeg

IMG_6427.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

On 4/24/2023 at 5:52 PM, Robot Man said:

Well @Hap Hazard posted his top 20 favorite PCH books in the Undead thread.

Well since I have a lot less Crime books than PCH, he inspired me to dig out the crime boxes and open the safe. I tend to complete whole runs of PCH but only go after the highlights or standouts  in Crime. I decided to do an even 24.

No easy task. Got to the point where I had to make difficult choices. So I just pulled my favorite ones. Some of these titles, I could have easily picked multiple issues. My rules were I had to personaly own them and force myself not to include many Crime titles that swayed more to horror. I could have easily doubled this list.

So in two photos and no particular order here is what I came up with. What did I miss? What would you substitute and knock out of my list?

8EC8813B-B6BA-4DD3-9C6D-31D050EEF90B.jpeg

10AE2E0E-CFF4-4505-AC98-D92630B57FD4.jpeg

Amazing pics of those classics!  :applause: I'd maybe squeeze Perfect Crime #23 in somewhere, and then I'd say you're golden.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:52 PM, Robot Man said:

Well @Hap Hazard posted his top 20 favorite PCH books in the Undead thread.

Well since I have a lot less Crime books than PCH, he inspired me to dig out the crime boxes and open the safe. I tend to complete whole runs of PCH but only go after the highlights or standouts  in Crime. I decided to do an even 24.

No easy task. Got to the point where I had to make difficult choices. So I just pulled my favorite ones. Some of these titles, I could have easily picked multiple issues. My rules were I had to personaly own them and force myself not to include many Crime titles that swayed more to horror. I could have easily doubled this list.

So in two photos and no particular order here is what I came up with. What did I miss? What would you substitute and knock out of my list?

8EC8813B-B6BA-4DD3-9C6D-31D050EEF90B.jpeg

10AE2E0E-CFF4-4505-AC98-D92630B57FD4.jpeg

My main focus has also leaned toward PCH, I was surprised to see I have 13 of your top 24 favs!

On 5/5/2023 at 9:26 PM, Point Five said:

Amazing pics of those classics!  :applause: I'd maybe squeeze Perfect Crime #23 in somewhere, and then I'd say you're golden.

I am also a big fan of that one! And if anyone has one up for grabs, please let me know... :takeit:

On 5/6/2023 at 2:12 PM, thewritestuff said:

That Thrilling Crime looks much better than the assigned grade. And that Wanted Comic is sweet!

Yes, but there is a tear on the cover running from just right of the man’s ear towards the edge of the book. It made a nice looking copy affordable.