• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,426 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2023 at 6:26 PM, Point Five said:

Amazing pics of those classics!  :applause: I'd maybe squeeze Perfect Crime #23 in somewhere, and then I'd say you're golden.

I don't have one. And if I did, I would have to squeeze one of these out. Which one would you pull for it?

On 4/19/2023 at 5:11 PM, Robot Man said:

My grandpa loved mysteries. There was no talking when Perry Mason was on TV. Erle Stanley Gardner was his favorite mystery author.

The Perry Mason TV series was outstanding, and they used all of the books at one time or another as the basis for the show. 

On 5/8/2023 at 9:25 AM, adamstrange said:

The Perry Mason TV series was outstanding, and they used all of the books at one time or another as the basis for the show. 

Although he always watched it, I rarely paid any attention. But I did inherit his love of mysteries. Actually, I was mostly interested in the scantily clad young ladies on the covers of his mystery paperbacks…:devil:

On 5/10/2023 at 5:36 AM, Jayman said:

Great book! And one of the “metallic ink” issues. The back cover needs to be shown too which is awesome itself.

Suspense Detective # 1 Back.jpg

Those metallic ink covers are very cool. @adamstrange brought a few over to show me once. I had never noticed. Anybody have a list of them? 

On 5/10/2023 at 10:47 AM, Robot Man said:

Those metallic ink covers are very cool. @adamstrange brought a few over to show me once. I had never noticed. Anybody have a list of them? 

All Fawcetts starting with covers dated Jan '52 through Mar '53, but only a few in the couple months after that.

Ok, this isn't mine, I stole it from the internet, but I don't care because I'm a wanton criminal and it only seems appropriate to post some stolen covers in this thread too.

By the way, what was the deal with those striped uniforms prisoners wore for a lot of years back then? Is there some significance why they were designed that way? And why don't prisoners have to wear them anymore? Why did they stop being used? I could probably Google all this, but that's very anti-social. 

Detective Comics #3

Edited by Professor Echo
Why not?

On 4/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, Sarg said:

75% adults? That cannot be right...

To open back up an older discussion, I was reading some of my Atlas horror fare last night, and it dawned on me that most of the advertisements were for diet aids, tummy flatteners, hernia underwear, auto seat covers, loans, TV repair courses, and even one that creeped me out, for grave markers on the inside FC of a crime book.  Some, but really very few ads for kids.  This would substantiate the notion that these books were aimed at the over the age of majority reader.

On 5/11/2023 at 2:10 PM, fifties said:

To open back up an older discussion, I was reading some of my Atlas horror fare last night, and it dawned on me that most of the advertisements were for diet aids, tummy flatteners, hernia underwear, auto seat covers, loans, TV repair courses, and even one that creeped me out, for grave markers on the inside FC of a crime book.  Some, but really very few ads for kids.  This would substantiate the notion that these books were aimed at the over the age of majority reader.

Yes, but kids also had very little money after buying comic books, so there wasn't much point in advertising to them. Come to think of it, ads in comics in general seem pretty pointless, unless the publishers could somehow convince the advertiser that a certain percentage of adults either did read comics or at least glanced at them. 

On 5/11/2023 at 9:34 AM, Professor Echo said:

Ok, this isn't mine, I stole it from the internet, but I don't care because I'm a wanton criminal and it only seems appropriate to post some stolen covers in this thread too.

By the way, what was the deal with those striped uniforms prisoners wore for a lot of years back then? Is there some significance why they were designed that way? And why don't prisoners have to wear them anymore? Why did they stop being used? I could probably Google all this, but that's very anti-social. 

Detective Comics #3

I googled it for you 👊

IMG_0223.jpeg