• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,426 posts in this topic

CDNP53.jpg

Very cool Biro cover. The reflection of the guy coming in to get her "ready for the grave" is great. No word balloons necessary.

Biro's covers can be extremely wordy but this is a case where there's an entire story told in a carefully constructed scene.

Love the Saunders' painted cover. (thumbs u

FamousCrime2.jpg

CloakandDagger1_zpsa9676c61.jpg

Had a copy of that but sold it in a moment of madness.

Check this recent swipe of the cover :popcorn:

size500_normal_ci_hunt2~0.jpg

That's from Glen Orbik for the cover to Hunt: Beyond the Frozen Fire (First Edition) from the Gabriel Hunt set of books published by Charles Ardai and Titan Books.

CloakandDagger1_zpsa9676c61.jpg

Had a copy of that but sold it in a moment of madness.

Check this recent swipe of the cover :popcorn:

size500_normal_ci_hunt2~0.jpg

That's from Glen Orbik for the cover to Hunt: Beyond the Frozen Fire (First Edition) from the Gabriel Hunt set of books published by Charles Ardai and Titan Books.

Very cool! I've never seen that before. Thanks for posting.

What do my fellow crime collectors find to be the best reading?

For me the pinnacle are the EC Crime Suspenstories and crime contributions to Shock Suspenstories.

Other solid reading would be:

The Jack Cole True Crime books

Many of The S&K crime stories in Headline, Real Clue and Justic Traps the Guilty.

The Johnny Dynamite stories in Comic Media's Dynamite.

The first three issues of Underworld from D.S.

Books where the contents deliver the promise of the cover like Fight Against Crime #20 and Lawbreakers Suspense #11

The early issues of CDNP have their moments, and the FOX femme fatale books I have read are fun, crude and repetitive as they are.

The L.B. Cole stories in Law-Crime are great examples of his interior work.

I've read maybe a dozen issues and found Wanted to be hit or miss, but has also delivered it's fair share of entertainment. Mort Leav did some fine splashes, and Buscema and Anderson made contributions to the later issues.

Fight Against Crime in general is a better than average book based on what I've read.

Of course there are "classic" and "excessive violence" stories scattered throughout the genre, mostly noted in Overstreet and the like, mainly due to graphic content more than superior story telling or art. In my limited experience these can be sometimes overrated.

And while the Kerry Drake books are perhaps more accurately described as newspaper reprint books, they are always a fun read, as of course are Tracy books.

I have a fondness for the crime genre, but understand why it takes a back seat to PCH with many collectors, as horror books lend themselves to more outrageous and bizarre stories in general, and the inclusion of skeletons, vampires and other supernatural creatures tends to more interesting covers in general.

I'd love to know particular titles and issues others have found superior, as I'm always looking for an excuse to expand my want list.

I posted my collection of every issue of Fight Against Crime earlier in the thread, so would like to think I know them a bit... ;)

I would say, off the top of my head, that issue number 6 might be the best reader of the run, as it seems to combine horror elements in at least one story. As a badge of honor, it was also listed in Parade of Pleasure.

Story comics had absolutely NP with graphic carnage and violence, and made ample use of it in their reads. The infamous issue 20 has one panel showing a guy being smashed against a wall by a truck, and the resultant bloody corpse.

EC seemed to use formula stories in their books, to include Crime SS, but the formulas were good.

Since I like hard hitting graphic violence, Crime Does Not Pay, and Wanted Comics, show many issues in my crime boxes.

I also like the stories in the Star books, such as Authentic Police Cases, Authentic Crime Cases, Thrilling Crime, Guns Against Gangsters, Spook Detective, etc.

AFA the Prize entries (Headline, Justice Traps the Guilty), and Real Clue Crime Stories, these are tamer AFA graphics go, but still make for good reading.

True Crime Jack Cole stories prolly display the most intensity of any comic book, eh eh.