• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robert Rodriguez To Direct Battle Angel Alita

58 posts in this topic

I was not familiar with the source material, but I thought this was an excellent movie.  I never knew it didn't do well at the box office.  I thought for sure it would get a sequel.  Of course, I also want more John Carter (one of my all-time favorite movies) and Warcraft and those movies didn't do too well either.

22 minutes ago, apollobuzz said:

I was not familiar with the source material, but I thought this was an excellent movie.  I never knew it didn't do well at the box office.  I thought for sure it would get a sequel.  Of course, I also want more John Carter (one of my all-time favorite movies) and Warcraft and those movies didn't do too well either.

Unfortunately this film was purposely sabotaged out of spite towards the outgoing Disney executive team.

John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood by Michael D. Sellers

Which is why even referencing anything from the original source material to hint at space (Princess of Mars), just called it 'John Carter' and purposely kept it bland. Yet the movie was really fun.

On 10/28/2020 at 12:46 PM, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately this film was purposely sabotaged out of spite towards the outgoing Disney executive team.

John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood by Michael D. Sellers

Which is why even referencing anything from the original source material to hint at space (Princess of Mars), just called it 'John Carter' and purposely kept it bland. Yet the movie was really fun.

I thought John Carter was great and didn't get the respect it deserved, so I ended up reading that book and it explained much.

6 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I thought John Carter was great and didn't get the respect it deserved, so I ended up reading that book and it explained much.

I really enjoyed the film. It was clear something with marketing (including that simple film title) didn't go out of the way to tell audiences why they should give this film a chance

I didn't learn about the book covering the Disney inside executive fighting until a few years later. Which confirmed some of what took place.

I have it on Blu-Ray and have watched it several times. It’s most likely easier for people like us, into comics and science-fiction films, to put any familiarity aside due to bits and pieces of it being used in later works by other creators, and appreciate it as an original source.

An unfairly maligned film, well worth watching.

Edited by Ken Aldred

ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL 2 - ROBERT RODRIGUEZ THINKS IT COULD HAPPEN ON DISNEY+

Directed by Robert Rodriguez from a -script by Laeta Kalogridis and producer James Cameron, the manga adaptation Alita: Battle Angel (watch it HERE) made a respectable amount at the box office, pulling in over $400 million - although I'm sure distributor 20th Century Fox would have liked it to make a bit more, since they had given the film a $170 million budget. It's not clear if Fox would have decided to move forward with a sequel; after all, 2017's The Mummy made slightly more on a lower budget and was still considered enough of a failure that Universal gave up on their Dark Universe plans. But Fox merged with Disney right after Alita reached theatres, so the decision of whether or not to make a Battle Angel 2 is now up to Disney.

There are a lot of fans out there who are hoping for a sequel, and producer Jon Landau has encouraged them to let Disney know they want to see Alita again. Rosa Salazar, who played Alita herself, has said that she "would play Alita 'til my last breath". Speaking with Forbes, Rodriguez said he would be on board for a sequel as well - and when asked if he thinks it could happen for Disney's streaming service Disney+, he replied:

"I think anything is possible. Disney bought Fox, and they have Disney+, so that is worth the conversation. I know other people would love to see another, and I would love to do another one. As far as where it would go or how it would be made, I think streaming has opened up many opportunities such as sequels. It's already a pre-sold concept, it's already got a built-in audience that wants to see it, and then it's delivered to them in a way that's the easiest for them to consume. So, it's not a bad idea."

Since Rodriguez has already worked on the Disney+ series The Mandalorian, it's possible that having an established working relationship could be helpful in getting an Alita follow-up onto the service.

I could see Disney making Alita into yet another Disney+ property to expand upon its many Fox-acquired franchises.

I'm not into manga or anime, but I enjoyed this enough to re-watch it a couple times. I am a fan of Rodriguez and Walz, but I didn't know Walz was in it until I started watching and I didn't know Rodriguez directed until it was over. I'd love to see a sequel.

Jon Landau assures that talks are happening for Alita 2 and explains how Avatar: The Way of Water will influence the sequel. Alita: Battle Angel hit theaters in 2019 and followed the titular cyborg as she discovered the truth about her identity, her friends, and the people who run the city she lives in. The movie ended on a cliffhanger, setting up a potential sequel, which dedicated fans have been clamoring for ever since.

"We're working on it. I think what we've learned from Avatar is how much more facial nuance and subtlety that we can get into characters that we want to be emotional and emote that are humanoid. Alita would not have been possible, but for what we did on Avatar. Avatar: Way of Water would not be what it is but what we did for Alita. And now let's put that back and give it back to Alita. We're talking to Robert and talking to Rosa and all is good."