• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweet 16, Round 4: Dark Knight Returns #1-4 vs Swamp Thing #20-21

Dark Knight Returns #1-4 vs Swamp Thing #20-21  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Dark Knight Returns #1-4 vs Swamp Thing #20-21

24 posts in this topic

Todays round features 2 biggies battling it out, Dark Knight Returns #1-4 vs Swamp Thing #20-21.

Batman: Dark Knight Returns #1-4. Published by DC 1986. Written and drawn by Frank Miller.

Saga of the Swamp Thing #20-21. Published by DC 1984. Written by Alan Moore with art by Dan Day and Stephen R. Bissette.

Good luck to both...

Todays round features 2 biggies battling it out, Dark Knight Returns #1-4 vs Swamp Thing #20-21.

Batman: Dark Knight Returns #1-4. Published by DC 1986. Written and drawn by Frank Miller.

Saga of the Swamp Thing #20-21. Published by DC 1984. Written by Alan Moore with art by Dan Day and Stephen R. Bissette.

Good luck to both...

If you voted for Watchmen over Hulk 181, you MUST vote for DKR.

Good luck to both...

Okay, I will.

This is where we find out how bad the Moore Shill problem really is. I love his work in Swamp Thing, but DKR is one of the best comics ever printed, and in the same league as Watchmen.

This should not even be close, but I assume it will be a nail-biter.

You talked me into it. thumbsup2.gif

Unbelievably I've been talked into it as well, even though I'm a Moore fan above all else and oppose the upstart Miller. It was a very close call, though, and I nearly abstained - Swamp Thing 20 and 21 were the basis for a new genre. Sorry Chrisco, but DKR is DKR, after all.

Dammit.

Not quite the same. Swamp Thing 20 and 21 were genuinely influential, whilst hulk 180 - 182 merely featured the first appearance of a character who would at some point in the long term become the focal point in Marvel's universe. If the comparison had been between Watchmen and Giant-Size X-Men 1, that would've been a much closer call.

In this case both comics were influential and seminal so it was difficult to pick. In the end I went for DKR simply because it had a higher profile.

And so did Chrisco, FWIW. He PM'd me to let you guys know that he chose DKR too, despite being a Moorist like myself. We ain't all shilly, you know.

Hmmm.

Yeah, I think DKR has my vote. Swamp Thing #20 was just a transition issue. Swamp Thing #21 itself might beat any single issue of DKR. If it had been the entire Moore ST run vs the 4 issues of DKR, then that would be a hard choice (but an unfair comparison: 4 oversized issues versus 45 issues of Swamp Thing?)

See... I still think Daredevil: Born Again is the best thing Miller has ever done. DKR is quite good, but overrated. People act like the Adam West Batman was still the prevailing interpretation until Miller came along, ignoring the whole 1970s revisions to the character by O'Neil, Adams, Englehart, Rogers, Golden, Goodwin, Simonson, etc.

OK... End of sign-rantpost.gif DKR it is. thumbsup2.gif

See... I still think Daredevil: Born Again is the best thing Miller has ever done. DKR is quite good, but overrated.

You really should take a look at DKR again. I used to remember it the same way as you, but I recently reread many of these Top 30 Years books and was absolutely amazed at how well DKR stood up.

See... I still think Daredevil: Born Again is the best thing Miller has ever done. DKR is quite good, but overrated.

You really should take a look at DKR again. I used to remember it the same way as you, but I recently reread many of these Top 30 Years books and was absolutely amazed at how well DKR stood up.

In agreement with Zonker here. I also feel that Born Again along with Batman, Year One are probably two of the best stories that Miller has ever done.

I even brought the trade paperbacks for these two books since they were so good.