• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, can someone tell me how this is a 9.4??

74 posts in this topic

Just looking through the Heritage auctions for April and came across this. I am always interested in FF's with white pages in 9.4 but c'mon, how is this a 9.4? Look at the large pic.

What does everyone think?

Steve.

heritage]http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auc...h=true]heritage auction[/url]

Just looking through the Heritage auctions for April and came across this. I am always interested in FF's with white pages in 9.4 but c'mon, how is this a 9.4? Look at the large pic.

Steve.

heritage'>http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auc...h=true]heritage auction

Maybe it's more like a 9.2, but I've seen much, much worse...a bit of stress to the top corners stood out to me but that's about it, did you see something more drastic? confused-smiley-013.gif

CGC graded it a 9.4...

Jim

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You consigned the book? Explains everything now! makepoint.gif

Steve.

heritage'>http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auc...h=true]heritage auction

I think the slab damage to the bottom edge of the back cover would take it out of 9.4.

The two small staple tears at the bottom staple are troublesome as well. 9.2 would be my grade, even with the leniency given to overflash bends along the top edge.

That's a pretty unsightly 9.4 IMO. From the damage to back cover from SCS, to the creasing at both of the top fc corners, to the soft LRC of FC, to the many small color-breaking creases along the spine, to the beginnings of staple pulls at both staples, most notably the lower staple.

I realize it's a huge scan, but defects are defects, even if they're smaller in real life...

I'd say it looks like 9.0 at best.

The only thing I can think of is the book has been damaged along the way after it was slabbed. Maybe "bounced" around to cause some of the stress. If this book is truly a 9.4 I can't wait to get back some books from CGC I sent in.

Steve

Ignoring the bottom back cover (as it's being bent down by the slab), that book looks like a borderline 9.4. If they had called it a 9.2 thou, I wouldn't be saying it's undergraded.

I have 9.6's that have very, very light color breaking creases in the top corner. They are lenient on the overhang.

9.4 books have some wear. None of the spine stress lines are even significant, more like a tiny fleck off the back.

Do I have 9.4's that look nicer then this, yes, and maybe a few would regrade as 9.6's. But, that isn't the worse case I've seen by a long shot (especially since it is an early SA book).