• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, can someone tell me how this is a 9.4??

74 posts in this topic

Let's make this clear.

All that matter is the grade CGC gave it, so learn to grade the way they do. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But with no published guidelines, that's pretty impossible to do, particularly in the 9.4 and up grades. confused-smiley-013.gif

More than just foxing on that back cover-book is not in the 9.0 and up range.

The back cover is fine (other then the bottom touching the slab).

Any slight discoloration is just natural aging over 40 years and would have almost zero effect on the grade.

Not quite, the only grade that matters is the grade as you precieve it as the buyer of the book. I've had books come back graded lower than I thought, so I freed them from the slab-put some back in the raw run, and some I have put up in consignment at my LCS under my "closer to actuality" grade, and sold them under the grade I thought they should have, plus the LCS owner was in agreement with me as the "grade" for the book. Why, because he will not let you cosign a book as...say 9.4 that is a 6.5. CGC is not the end all-know all when it comes to grading a comic book, they give you a grade based on a subjective opinion of said book. Now, in saying this, don't get me wrong, I enjoy having CGC as a third party grading service(note third party-not the Mt.Olympus of grading), and will continue to submit books to Steve and the staff.Peace-CC thumbsup2.gif

Not quite, the only grade that matters is the grade as you precieve it as the buyer of the book.

Let's not go there.

My standards are as high as they ever were but after receiving overgraded books from dealers for a decade, you have no choice but to give up (like I did), or lower your standards.

Then CGC came along. Regardless if I think a book is overgraded or undergraded, what ever I BUY will be sold as the same GRADE when I SELL.

And that's the difference.

Then CGC came along. Regardless if I think a book is overgraded or undergraded, what ever I BUY will be sold as the same GRADE when I SELL.

To me, this is an extremely dangerous line of reasoning because it assumes that CGC will always be the be-all and end-all in professional grading. And considering some of the insane(IMO) price gaps from 9.2 to 9.4, and 9.4 to 9.6, people who follow this line of reasoning may be in for a rude awakening if CGC is no longer at the forefront of the high grade market. This has been said so many times, yet it dosen't seem to worry those of you who have the most to lose.

WOW!!

This thread went alot further then I thought it would. Still comes down to either buying the label or actually looking at the book and deciding if you can "deal" with the particular problems associated with it. Some 9.4's will be passed on for better looking 9.2's and so on. This particular book doesn't excite me with the 9.4 grade on it, however to each his own.

Steve

Then I'm sorry, as you seem to have sold out, and have taken away your choice to judge a book on it's own merits-merits that you the buyer-collector can see rather in the slab or not, it's your choice, and by all means you are entitled to it. I'll keep to the road I travel, as it has served me well, and I'm proud of my collection raw and slabbed, and the books I've sold, I've sold with a clear conscious. To each his/her own, and happy hunting. Peace-CC.

Then I'm sorry, as you seem to have sold out, and have taken away your choice to judge a book on it's own merits-merits that you the buyer-collector can see rather in the slab or not, it's your choice, and by all means you are entitled to it.

Let me clarify.

I pass on many books in Heritage's auctions even if the LABEL GRADE is what I'm looking for.

Would I probably pass on this book, assuming I wanted a 9.4. YES. Because I think it's borderline at best, and I still would have to pay full 9.4 value for it.

That said, if you buy off of eBay, ComicLink, PedigreeComics, Metro, etc. you are almost always taking the same gamble.

The only other website that gives me a big enough front cover is Bob Storms (HighGradeComics.com), but even he doesn't give a back cover.

So my point is that if this book was on eBay, more then likely the buyer would NEVER see all the defects shown in the extra large scan. So the only thing I can do is ACCEPT CGC LABEL GRADE. The good news is that if I did receive the book, and was dissappointed, I could sell it AT the SAME GRADE. Try that with a RAW BOOK.

Regarding CGC being around for the long haul, I don't know, but I'm pretty darn sure that CERTIFIED books will ALWAYS sell for more then NON CERTIFIED BOOKS, as there is at least some unbaisness in the grading and restoration check.

Then I'm sorry, as you seem to have sold out, and have taken away your choice to judge a book on it's own merits-merits that you the buyer-collector can see rather in the slab or not, it's your choice, and by all means you are entitled to it.

Let me clarify.

I pass on many books in Heritage's auctions even if the LABEL GRADE is what I'm looking for.

Would I probably pass on this book, assuming I wanted a 9.4. YES. Because I think it's borderline at best, and I still would have to pay full 9.4 value for it.

That said, if you buy off of eBay, ComicLink, PedigreeComics, Metro, etc. you are almost always taking the same gamble.

The only other website that gives me a big enough front cover is Bob Storms (HighGradeComics.com), but even he doesn't give a back cover.

So my point is that if this book was on eBay, more then likely the buyer would NEVER see all the defects shown in the extra large scan. So the only thing I can do is ACCEPT CGC LABEL GRADE. The good news is that if I did receive the book, and was dissappointed, I could sell it AT the SAME GRADE. Try that with a RAW BOOK.

Regarding CGC being around for the long haul, I don't know, but I'm pretty darn sure that CERTIFIED books will ALWAYS sell for more then NON CERTIFIED BOOKS, as there is at least some unbaisness in the grading and restoration check.

I have the same concerns as everyone else, but I agree with your analysis. On the average, major dealers overgrade books by at least one grade, while sellers on eBay overgrade their books by at least 2 or 3 grades. There are some good ones, but not many.

As a lot of us have said, there seems to be a serious difference between "NM" pre-CGC and "NM" post-CGC, the post-CGC grade being a much stricter one. So while I can't always get a handle on the CGC grading schema myself, I think that highgrade CGC books will continue to do well even if CGC itself tanks someday. Those NM books are still generally pretty pristine, much more so than the "NM" books I bought at shows 10 to 15 years ago.