• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Creeps: In the Warren tradition w/many original Warren artists and writers
2 2

110 posts in this topic

*Update.

I've read most of Bloke's Terrible Tomb Of Terror, as they are available in Comixology/Amazon Unlimited.

I also picked up the Creeps #6 and #7 today at B&N.

I think the stories/artwork (across both Bloke's and Creeps) can be hit and miss -- IMO, I'd say there are maybe a FEW really nice stories, but not that consistent at all. I also noticed there are artists that draw for both magazines.

I'd say ALL of bloke's covers (I think most if not all were done by Mike Hoffman) are just hands down beautiful and up there with the some of the early painted Creepy/Eerie covers.

One artist that I am taking a liking to, and found in both titles is Nik Poliwko.

He has a very EC/Warren inspired (Williamson and even Ingels) feel to his work.

Here is a scan of a page of his work in the Creeps (story: Bait Shop) - one of the better stories too.

Lastly, I picked up a horror history paperback (sitting right next to the CREEPS), called Blood in Four Colours, that has a nice jaunt through major horror publishers going back to pre-code and ending today. I have some images posted on this week in your collection, with a TOC for those interested.

zxqqdd.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

WOW! The Creeps looks awesome! Don Glut and Nicola Cuti were two of my favorite Warren writers. I haven't read anything new by those guys in decades! Cuti also worked as an editor on Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella for a couple years in the early 1970's and it also looks like The Creeps is only using Warrren cover artists, too. Frazetta, Ken Kelly, Sanjulian, Kenneth Smith and the great Basil Gogos! Fantastic! I've missed those old Warren books something awful and with all that Warren talent contributing, The Creeps has got to be terriffic! I'm going to pick up some copies of The Creeps at Barnes and Noble and report back on what I find. I have high hopes for this!

I have to say that issue #7 and #8 of The Creeps are fantastic. These books are at least as good as many of the old Warren classics, which is to be expected since they use a mix of the old Warren writers and artists. The cover of issue #7 is by Basil Gogos and the cover of #8 is by Kenneth Smith and both are great. This is the comic magazine I've been waiting for the past 30 years! I'm hooked! LONG LIVE WARRANT PUBLISHING!

I have looked several times in my local Barnes and Nobles to see if they were carrying this. Until last night I never saw it. Probably because they have it in the "Entertainment" section of magazines and not the comic section. It's like no one bothered to actually open it up and look inside.

8 minutes ago, chevalmeow said:

Just ordered these from their website a couple of hours ago.  Need to check BN in the future.

Yeah. Save on the shipping. It's why I didn't get a subscription. 

2 minutes ago, chevalmeow said:

For me, its about a 40 mile drive to BN and then another 40 back.  So gas + tax would be about the same as the $3.99 shipping.  Lazy me.  :)

Yeah, that's way too far.