• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An original art journey through time and space

18 posts in this topic

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve jammie dodgers and a fez.

So I thought one way I could contribute, and also make a record of part of my collection was to start a journal (assumine I have done this right through the Collectors Journal).

I am, as many are, a fan of Doctor Who (not sure how many people on the forum are). I've enjoyed the comics and have begun to get some artwork by the various people who have worked on the comics.

To this end I have set a few rules and goals for myself:

A) Where possible, meet the artist. Would be nice to converse and chat about their artwork, as well as go to conventions

B) Where not possible I'll go for commissions via email.

C) At the moment I am looking at getting blank comic covers sketched, but I will be thinking up a few pieces on A4.

D) For a cover I ask two things:

i) Which Doctor I want

ii) One object/person (e.g. TARDIS, sonic screwdriver)

E) I keep to the Doctors that that artist has drawn.

F) I choose the Doctor of the comic for the cover

(There may be more but I can't remember them.

I wanted to do this because when I got my first sketch (pictured below), although it was small, I enjoyed it and found it was something I would like to collect.

So here it goes, banana in hand (because bananas are good) I am off on my journey.

The first one I had done on Doctor Who Comic Book Day 2015 (12th August) at Forbidden Planet in London. Paul Cornell and Neil Andrews were both signing and Neil was doing sketches. I got a couple of copies signed and then, seeing as he is the current Doctor, I asked Neil for a sketch of Peter Capaldi. At the same time it was my girlfriends birthday and she was looking around the store. Hearing of this, one of the staff suggested that Neil could do a likeness of her with the Doctor. So with that done I left the store with two sketches (one for me and one for her).

16973.jpg

See more journals by Pip Smither

So I went to MCM London Comic Con on Sunday. I went with the thought that I would get a sketch from a particular artist. One arrival I found her stall. After chatting for a few minutes I asked if she would be able to do a sketch. Unfortunately, that day she was only sketching a different comic and that she wasn't very confident in doing sketches at conventions.

However, all was not lost as another artist I like, Verity Glass, was sitting a few rows down. Going over, I browsed at her other art, which included a series of world leaders as cats. Having studied Roman archaeology and history, Julipuss Caesar was my favourite.

Armed with several blank covers, I picked out one to be sketched and asked simply for the 10th Doctor with the TARDIS. Apart from that I didn't know what to expect.

A couple of hours later I popped back to see the result and this is what I picked up: (Haven't been able to get to a scanner, so they are from a camera).

WP_20151025_001_2.jpg

:)

Needless to say, I was pleased with the sketch. So much so, and maybe a little cheekily, I asked if she could do one of the 11th Doctor. Again, giving a simple idea, I asked for his sonic screwdriver to be included.

Once again, two hours later, a sketch:

WP_20151025_002_2.jpg

:)

Yesterday, I came away with these two sketched for a total of £20 and very, very happy.

Next on my journey I am hoping to get to Brighton Film and Comic Con (although not sure how free I will be that weekend), so fingers crossed that soon there will be more.

Thanks. At the moment my favourite is the 10th Doctor

Potential for more coming up soon. Definitely Lee Sullivan at the weekend, and maybe also Emma Viceli.

The weekend after I might be going to Thought Bubble in Leeds, where there are loads of artists. I might pick up a few signatures from writers as well for my collection.

A couple more acquired this week (pics will come when I am back home)

Firstly was a simple sketch of the 8th Doctor at a signing at Forbidden Planet.

The second is an amazing pencil and ink image with greyscaling of the 12th Doctor, Rassilon and a flying TARDIS.

I am now looking at a way of framing and displaying them all.

Here are a couple from last weekend:

First a very simple sketch of the 8th Doctor from a FP signing. Can't complain about a free doodle.

WP_20151113_17_52_19_Pro.jpg

Secondly is this from Brighton Film and Comic Con. The 12th Doctor, Rassilon and the TARDIS in greyscale. Definitely my favourite so far. Lee Sullivan - the artist - was amazing and great fun to chat to about his work. He has loads of stuff that I liked, including some art that never made it to publication because of publishers pulling the plug due to cost. Such a shame because it was great stuff.

WP_20151113_17_50_55_Pro.jpg

I am starting to think about getting these slabs. I am assuming correctly that they will come back green label? Which is fine as they are for my own collection.

If they are for your own collection then what would you gain by slabbing them? Spending $25 or so for each book, just to get them back in a case with a green label, doesn't seem like it would be adding value. Maybe it's just me.

I am starting to think about getting these slabs. I am assuming correctly that they will come back green label? Which is fine as they are for my own collection.

If they are for your own collection then what would you gain by slabbing them? Spending $25 or so for each book, just to get them back in a case with a green label, doesn't seem like it would be adding value. Maybe it's just me.

Well its one way of displaying them at least. Not sure how I want to do it, and adding value wouldn't be a reason to. Just looking at options. Its just a nice consistent way to display them. Also looking at frames.

A few from Thought Bubble this weekend. It is a great event by the way, picked up some interesting comics and prints as well as grabbing 10 blanks for 50p each.

This first one was from Dave Taylor, quite like the look for just a quick convention sketch but not my fave.

WP_20151115_16_55_57_Pro.jpg

These two however I really like. I love JAKe's style, especially on the 10th Doctor.

WP_20151115_16_56_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20151115_16_57_38_Pro.jpg

Probably conventioned out for this year. No more that I have in mind to go to, or would be easy to get to.

Finally managed to get them scanned and in my sig :)

Also, I grabbed 10 year 1 blanks of the 10th an 11th Doctors for 50p each at Thought Bubble, so I have loads that I could get done by different artists, as well as a few blanks from other series.

I am also thinking of some commission for my wall. I quite like JAKe's artwork and he has done a nice image of Han Solo. So I am thinking of getting a scene from Indiana Jones done with the 10th Doctor and his quote 'I point and laugh at archaeologists' (given that I am one).

Not much action from this thread until now as the convention scene has been slow until this month.

I went to True Believers Comic Festival on the 6th of Feb as there were several Doctor Who artists and writers there.

This is what I picked up:

GZRlhdjJ_0902160933061.jpg

Pencil sketch by Emma Vieceli

and

har8bJa3_0902160930111.jpg

VbsZ3SvA_0902160931031.jpg

these two by Mike Collins

I also bought this storyboard from Mike who drew for the whole of Series 9 as well as other episodes.

s9O74FGx_0902161456411.jpg

I loved the episode and this page jumped out at me.

I have also recently bought this original cover from Marc Ellerby - what is more British than the Doctor drinking a cup of tea?

DW4D.1.cov.jpg

Unfortunately I can't get to LSCC this year, but I have commissioned a couple of sketches for my bro to collect.

Thanks, I have decided against green labelling them. As nice as slabbing them would be and not caring about them being green label, I have found some nice, hinged opening £3 ($4.50) frames from IKEA which will display them nicely.

Missing LSCC this year will be worth it :) My girlfriend already had Doctor Who Experience tickets booked, and now because filming is in the Autumn, we have got a TARDIS set tour :D

Still, got commissions from Marc Ellerby and Elena Casagrande coming up from LSCC and also will go to OxCon in early March.

Finally getting these up after a few weeks.

Firstly the two from London Super Comic Con by Marc Ellerby (Top) and Elena Casagrande (Bottom).

9NR29OYt_1103161204351.jpg

MGQe4DSE_1103161208221.jpg

The next is from Lee Sullivan at London Film and Comic Con at the end of February

1bJp2cQR_1103161212351.jpg

And finally, this was a commission for OxCon this past weekend, however I was unable to go, so I had it mailed to me. At first I wanted thr 8th Doctor portrait in the middle of a watch. Carolyn Edwards, who did the artwork, asked if I wanted the DW Movie Doctor or from the short Night of the Doctor. It was at this point I thought, why not both. I requested a half and half and this is how it turned out :grin:

pH8psyIp_1103161200371.jpg