• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,426 posts in this topic

US 64 (treasure of Marco Polo, banned by Disney from being reprinted for many years)

Is this the Bark's story with the veiled critique of Vietnam? Do you know if has been reprinted at all? I would like to read it.

That's correct. I know that Gladstone reprinted it in the late 1980s, but I don't know if it has been subsequently reprinted since then.

I will track down a copy. It's also possible it was reprinted in The Carl Barks Library either in the Another Rainbow sets or in the Gladstone volumes. I wonder if there is a site that catalogs which stories were reprinted where.

It was part of Gladstone's complete Uncle Scrooge, but if it's a veiled criticism of Vietnam, it got past me. I know a bit about that part of the world and it's one of Carl Bark's weaker efforts, with few of the lively local details that lend real atmosphere to his stories. The country is Unsteadystan, when the stan's aren't any where nearby. It involves a Jade elephant, which would best fit Thailand (they do fly into Bang-sock) rather than Vietnam. The prince is Char Ming -- not exactly a Thai or Vietnamese name. Everyone takes a "siesta" in the afternoon (I love Barks, but what was he thinking!). And the architecture isn't terriby south Asian or interesting. I would guess the reason for banning it would be the setting of the story in a war-torn country that's clearly meant to be Vietnam.

They also banned some stories like "In Darkest Africa". When Gladstone reprinted this and others, they re-draw the Africans to avoid some of the stereotypical designs used by Barks.

744437-US8.jpg

744437-US8.jpg.2b0d6826aba2ca5c213d6695a0a9743a.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

The last time Adamstrange asked me to start up a thread, it produced some pretty good results.

893whatthe.gifhail.gif

All I can say is WOW. Tim, you have some SWEEEEEET books. Where is my fainting graemlin when I need it? Oh, here it is:

10_3_1v.gif

It was part of Gladstone's complete Uncle Scrooge, but if it's a veiled criticism of Vietnam, it got past me. I know a bit about that part of the world and it's one of Carl Bark's weaker efforts, with few of the lively local details that lend real atmosphere to his stories. The country is Unsteadystan, when the stan's aren't any where nearby. It involves a Jade elephant, which would best fit Thailand (they do fly into Bang-sock) rather than Vietnam. The prince is Char Ming -- not exactly a Thai or Vietnamese name. Everyone takes a "siesta" in the afternoon (I love Barks, but what was he thinking!). And the architecture isn't terriby south Asian or interesting. I would guess the reason for banning it would be the setting of the story in a war-torn country that's clearly meant to be Vietnam.

Well, you have to remember this was first published in 1966, so the inference (or hint of an inference) was more relevant back then. And of course Disney couldn't tolerate even a whiff of controversy.

They actually did take breaks in the afternoon in these parts of the world back in the pre-airconditioning days (they didn't call them siestas, of course). It's hilarious talking to old Brits who were here in Hong Kong back in those days, people only really worked in the mornings and the evenings for much of the year because of the heat. They pretty much spent the day after 11 am totally blotto, sobering up enough in the late afternoon to read telegrams as they started coming in from the head office in England. Lee Kuan Yew has stated that in his opinion, the most important development in Asia during the 20th century was not some major political or economic development, but rather that most mundane of things, the advent of airconditioning, because of its impact on productivity. End of geo-social history lesson.

All I can say is WOW. Tim, you have some SWEEEEEET books. Where is my fainting graemlin when I need it? Oh, here it is:

10_3_1v.gif

What? Who are you and what have you done with the real FFB? poke2.gifgrin.gif

10_3_1v.gif

What? Who are you and what have you done with the real FFB? poke2.gifgrin.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Do you know how many times I've been to Rockford, IL? Lots. Liz's parents live there and she's from there. That Rockford 9.6 you have is just amazing. cloud9.gif

Those early Uncle Scrooges have some of the best Barks covers and are impossible to find in grade despite the huge circulation. I am a bit biased towards the #8 since I own some of the original art from the story.

ajaxfarrell: that's one beautiful WDCS #31! Congratulations on beating he-who-must-not-be-named to it.

tth2's Four Colors are incredible. I don't compete for the uber-grades for various political reasons but here's a pretty decent copy of #203:

fc203.jpg

adamstrange (below):

> post a pic of the ORIGINAL freakin Carl Barks art

I'd be glad to post it but unfortunately can't for practical reasons right now.

ajaxfarrell (below):

> but it went for only 77.00....was that a good deal ?????

I paid 60 times that for a FN/FN+ copy a few months ago and couldn't have been happier about it.

Edited by hkp

Those early Uncle Scrooges have some of the best Barks covers and are impossible to find in grade despite the huge circulation. I am a bit biased towards the #8 since I own some of the original art from the story.

ajaxfarrell: that's one beautiful WDCS #31! Congratulations on beating he-who-must-not-be-named to it.

tth2's Four Colors are incredible. I don't compete for the uber-grades for various political reasons but here's a pretty decent copy of #203:

fc203.jpg

tth2: this is turning into another cool thread. thumbsup2.gif

hkp & ajaxfarrell: beautiful books!

tth2: nice explanation on the down time during the day -- productivity in the southern US was similarly affected. air conditioning cloud9.gif

All we need need to create the perfect thread is for hkp is to hustle and post a pic of the ORIGINAL freakin Carl Barks art. Now!

flowerred.gif Pretty please?

Well, I wish that book were mine. I didn't have the 4,383.84 that it sold for. J and S comics (great guys, sold them tons of stuff in the 80's) sold it on ebay a while back. It was advertised as a VF+ and looked awesome. They still have pics up of the interior and back....heck, here is the link to the completed auction Also, did anyone see this copy of Mickey Mouse Magazine # 1 ( ragged and incomplete) but it went for only 77.00....was that a good deal ????? I spaced out on it or I would have bid. mmmag13bm.jpg Here is a link to the completed auction.

OF,

for the best reference about DUCKs and reprints, visit the INDUCKS database .

As for the US 64: The Treasure of Marco Polo, the reprint information in the US is as follows:

The Adventures of Uncle Scrooge McDuck in Color 52 Treasure of Marco Polo

Uncle Scrooge 64 Treasure of Marco Polo (1966)

Uncle Scrooge 134 Treasure of Marco Polo (1976)

Carl Barks Library (hardcover, b/w) 5 pg. 544 Treasure of Marco Polo (1989)

Uncle Scrooge Adventures 42 * Treasure of Marco Polo (1997)

You can probably find a copy of USA 42 really easy. The version is still censored with for example thrown gems removed from the cover.

Classic , First Carl Barks art issue <center> wdc313kz.jpg </center>

Ajax;

As tth2 said, that 's an absolutely gorgeous copy of a book that's usually tough to find in grade. cloud9.gif

Did you just pick this one up recently or has it been in your collection for a long time? Your copy looks to be totally glossy and sharp all around. hail.gif

PS: Just noticed your message stating that you was not the winner of the auction here. Too bad, since it looks like a really nice copy. Any idea who was able to beat S.G. to the book in the end?

Edited by lou_fine

hkp, for a non-uber grade book, that 203 looks pretty uber.

On the competing for high grade books, whatever your political reasons are, do you think you could get them to apply to your buddy mhn-001 too? He's killing me!

Arty, nice US 64. My own copy graded out as a 9.2 and now resides with a very happy collector in NY.

"9.2" and "very happy collector in NY." 893scratchchin-thumb.gif So BleekerBob got to you too? gossip.gif

Arty, nice US 64. My own copy graded out as a 9.2 and now resides with a very happy collector in NY.

"9.2" and "very happy collector in NY." 893scratchchin-thumb.gif So BleekerBob got to you too? gossip.gif

No, this is a duck collector. Don't think he hangs out on these boards.

Hey, are you the one who set BBob on me?

Edited by tth2

Hey, are the you the one who set BBob on me?

No, he didn't need my urging. The man is on a quest. cloud9.gif

Hey, are the you the one who set BBob on me?

No, he didn't need my urging. The man is on a quest. cloud9.gif

From his post about who works on wall street, I wonder if someone just got a big bonus. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do you think I should mention to him that all my gems are locked away, but on the other hand every person has their price? devil.gif