Show Us Your Ducks!
17 17

7,875 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, BB-Gun said:

These Story Hour books were also giveaways with a subscription to WDCS, I think. 

However I don't know if the softcover was part of the deal or the hardcovers.  Most of mine are hardcovers but the Beanstalk books are both.

51717757053_cdef2e8138_b.jpg

Wonderful collection! I just know hard cover of "Bringing up the boys" is less common than the soft one. No indication inside the book? If there's no price than it might be is the giveaway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2021 at 12:21 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yeah that one is going to go for bucks. Looks to be as nice as or nicer than the file copy Metro has been hawking at shows for over a decade now.

Just wait until Metro sees what the Promise book goes for. They will have to double their copy's price so that it can sit there for another decade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2021 at 1:49 PM, Yellow Kid said:

I am happy to report that tb is still around and collecting.  He visited me a couple of months ago and we enjoyed our usual discussions of the hobby...  

Really glad to hear that. Next time you talk to him, please let him know that there would be appreciation if he came back and redid the links to the MMM pictures in his MMM thread. :foryou:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2021 at 12:37 AM, DavideD said:

In fact Overstreet says it started as of #2 and I can confirm that. The paper of issue #1 is close to pulp, while already #2 is better. I wonder why afterwards they started again with pulp (but I'm not sure by which issue, I only have a few between the first ones)

Interesting - though not quite consistent with tb's observations. He says the good paper starts with #3 and only for 2 or 3 issues. I wish I had enough copies of the run to have an opinion!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2021 at 6:00 PM, Robot Man said:

Here is a tough one...

mickeymouse40bigpages.jpg

Nice copy and a bit difficult indeed. This Withman #945 (somewhere I read a guy saying that it was the copy 945 :D ) is a reprint of MMM #1, but with less advs. The cover is taken from a page inside MMM #1. Published in 1936, although probably not a top-seller. Here my copy:

 

MMM-Extra.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2021 at 12:15 AM, DavideD said:

Nice copy and a bit difficult indeed. This Withman #945 (somewhere I read a guy saying that it was the copy 945 :D ) is a reprint of MMM #1, but with less advs. The cover is taken from a page inside MMM #1. Published in 1936, although probably not a top-seller. Here my copy:

 

MMM-Extra.jpg

Nice! I picked up mine at the Brimfield Antique show a number of years ago. Was just laying raw on some lady’s table. I remember someone saying it was scarce and I love old long bill Donald so I grabbed it. I really need to dig it out and check it out again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2021 at 5:04 PM, Robot Man said:

Nice! I picked up mine at the Brimfield Antique show a number of years ago. Was just laying raw on some lady’s table. I remember someone saying it was scarce and I love old long bill Donald so I grabbed it. I really need to dig it out and check it out again. 

Have to say even mine I paid little money. The seller was not really aware about it, still happens from time to time :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I am old and my eyes are going, but your Vacation Parade, CGC 7.0, looks beautiful to me.  I have begun getting a few of my better books pressed and graded in anticipation of starting to sell my collection next year.  I just got back three books that a friend thought were all around 8.5.  The results were 9.0, 7.5, and 7.0, and neither of us can figure out exactly how that happened.  And yet I don't have a choice and have to continue submitting more books as the data are very clear--CGC books sell faster and for higher prices than raw books.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2021 at 12:52 PM, Yellow Kid said:

I know I am old and my eyes are going, but your Vacation Parade, CGC 7.0, looks beautiful to me.  I have begun getting a few of my better books pressed and graded in anticipation of starting to sell my collection next year.  I just got back three books that a friend thought were all around 8.5.  The results were 9.0, 7.5, and 7.0, and neither of us can figure out exactly how that happened.  And yet I don't have a choice and have to continue submitting more books as the data are very clear--CGC books sell faster and for higher prices than raw books.  

I’m sure the Yellow Kid Collection will bring in big bucks on Heritage or ComicLink! :cheers:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2021 at 9:52 AM, Yellow Kid said:

I know I am old and my eyes are going, but your Vacation Parade, CGC 7.0, looks beautiful to me.  I have begun getting a few of my better books pressed and graded in anticipation of starting to sell my collection next year.  I just got back three books that a friend thought were all around 8.5.  The results were 9.0, 7.5, and 7.0, and neither of us can figure out exactly how that happened.  And yet I don't have a choice and have to continue submitting more books as the data are very clear--CGC books sell faster and for higher prices than raw books.  

Yes well done on that VP #1! And I was tracking and I think you did quite well on the price. Besides a fun cover it has one of Barks' greatest stories ever! I need an upgrade of my copy.

Rich, I am not surprised on the variability of the results. It seems like a c**p shoot when you look at what's graded out there.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
17 17