• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

This 1964 Australian book is in the J (for Jumbo) series, which cost twice the amount of the regular issues, and had 64 pages v 32. This series was often reprints of Dell giants, but this one was a local compilation of six Barks 10 pages, including the Omelet and "Bing! You're hypnotized" stories. What great value this one was! I don't think there were similar US books?

large_J39.jpg.ddc339e6d1ee58ddd7875039f7d9e006.jpg

On 12/10/2021 at 6:44 PM, AJD said:

This 1964 Australian book is in the J (for Jumbo) series, which cost twice the amount of the regular issues, and had 64 pages v 32. This series was often reprints of Dell giants, but this one was a local compilation of six Barks 10 pages, including the Omelet and "Bing! You're hypnotized" stories. What great value this one was! I don't think there were similar US books?

large_J39.jpg.ddc339e6d1ee58ddd7875039f7d9e006.jpg

Not back in the fifties or sixties. You usually got one Barks story; maybe two if you were lucky! Like a Gyro backup story or something.When they did that all Barks Four Color reprint in WD Comics Digest that was a biggie; but the pages were small!

On 12/12/2021 at 1:11 PM, Math Teacher said:

I picked this up from Heritage Auctions this week. I don't have this book in hand, but it's on its way. This gives me the two first appearances of Uncle Scrooge.

FourColor386A.jpg.d085ced193db997c43a0039b915d3c27.jpg

Actually there were several appearances of Scrooge in Donald Duck stories (FC 178, 189, 263, 282, 291, 356, 367, 379, etc) before he got his own comic (FC 386)

On 12/12/2021 at 4:36 PM, BB-Gun said:

Actually there were several appearances of Scrooge in Donald Duck stories (FC 178, 189, 263, 282, 291, 356, 367, 379, etc) before he got his own comic (FC 386)

And 189 is a great one to get as it takes him to his ancestral home in Scotland. It is the beginning of the real development of his character.

On 12/12/2021 at 6:56 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

And 189 is a great one to get as it takes him to his ancestral home in Scotland. It is the beginning of the real development of his character.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:50 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I love that issue.  The skeletons are awesome.

Probably the book that really got me interested in Scrooge.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, Badger said:

Got this last night. Probably went cheap due to the dust shadow. Still, I'm happy with it. Its not my favorite cover, so the dust shadow doesn't bother me; yet I am a completist, so I have to have this issue! lol  Donald has never looked "right" to me on this cover.

4470932_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTIvMTMvMjAyMSAxMjowOToxMCBBTQ%3d%3d

Crack it! A great read!

On 12/12/2021 at 6:36 PM, BB-Gun said:

I'm sorry that I didn't make myself clear. I have Four Color #178, which is the first appearance of Uncle Scrooge. And now, I have Four Color #386, which is considered to be Uncle Scrooge #1.

Thank you for enlightening me!

Got this last night. Probably went cheap due to the dust shadow. Still, I'm happy with it. Its not my favorite cover, so the dust shadow doesn't bother me; yet I am a completist, so I have to have this issue! lol  Donald has never looked "right" to me on this cover.

Donald's fingers always bugged me on that one.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:52 AM, Yellow Kid said:

Here are a few duck images you probably haven't seen before reading this comment.  Yesterday I got two NM/M copies of bound volumes of the Mickey Mouse Weekly.  Vol. 1 has issues #1-#37 and Vol. 2 has issues #38-#74 and the issues are immaculate.  They were the personal copies of the European distributor, which later were part of Steve Geppi's collection, which later became part of Tom Kelley's, and now are part of my collection.  The bindings show the slightest wear, but the issues are so beautiful it is hard to believe they are from the 1930's.  Quite honestly, I doubt that most of them have ever been opened.  Following are pictures of the volumes and issues #1, #38, and #74. The images are from handheld pictures and could be a little nicer but I was so thrilled with the volumes that I wanted to share them with you.

MMW V1.jpg

MMW V2.jpg

MMW #!.jpg

MMW #38.jpg

MMW #74.jpg

Those are awesome Rich; truly a Disney rarity! The only thing I ever saw like this was a collection of MMM that were file copies from the studios that a dealer had a SDCC one year. I looked through the whole batch and they were gorgeous like these although not bound. If you can take some pictures of the interior pages.

Cover was drawn by the other Carl, Buettner, not Barks.  The eyes are an indicator the ducks were not drawn by Barks.  Some of the foreign artists started copying his style.  The cover to Volcano Valley, among  others, were not drawn by Barks.

Edited by BitterOldMan

On 12/15/2021 at 2:52 AM, Yellow Kid said:

Here are a few duck images you probably haven't seen before reading this comment.  Yesterday I got two NM/M copies of bound volumes of the Mickey Mouse Weekly.  Vol. 1 has issues #1-#37 and Vol. 2 has issues #38-#74 and the issues are immaculate.  They were the personal copies of the European distributor, which later were part of Steve Geppi's collection, which later became part of Tom Kelley's, and now are part of my collection.  The bindings show the slightest wear, but the issues are so beautiful it is hard to believe they are from the 1930's.  Quite honestly, I doubt that most of them have ever been opened.  Following are pictures of the volumes and issues #1, #38, and #74. The images are from handheld pictures and could be a little nicer but I was so thrilled with the volumes that I wanted to share them with you.

Thank you for sharing those Rich. I try not to covet the wonderful acquisitions that other people make, and just be happy for them, but I'll admit I'm struggling with this one! Some of the MMW copies I own are among my favourite collection items, and having those early ones in really nice condition and in a format that makes handling easy... OK, I'm jealous. lol

Here are my two favourites, which fit in nicely with other patriotic Disney covers I own. Your volume 2 would contain the first of these.

1689146465_MMW66.jpg.4261552c198b2a453d2d569b1fc3f223.jpg

MMW_VE_Day.jpg.236f619b8b4fb0b875a7eb5be1179dda.jpg