• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2021 at 4:36 PM, BB-Gun said:

Actually there were several appearances of Scrooge in Donald Duck stories (FC 178, 189, 263, 282, 291, 356, 367, 379, etc) before he got his own comic (FC 386)

Other notable early appearances are WDC&S 98 (3rd App., 1st in title), March of Comics 41 (4th App., 1st in title), WDC&S 104 (5th app., 2nd in title), WD Christmas Parade 1 (6th App., 1st in title)

And there were also some surprising non-Barks story appearances, including the FC 379 BB-Gun mentioned.

On 12/16/2021 at 7:09 AM, Yellow Kid said:

The  next four posts will show the entire first issue of the Mickey Mouse Weekly.  As you will see, a lot of the contents are not Disney based, and most of the interior is printed in black and white.  I think a regular issue is about 11" x 15" but the bound copies are 1/4" smaller in both directionsdue to the binding process.  The title was reduced in size at some point, probably during the war.  The cover and some of the interior was draw by Disney artists in England, some of the color comics were reprinted from America, and other material came from a variety of sources.  Looking through the volumes, I was surprised by the emphasis on science fiction, which may have represented the influence of H. G. Wells.  This post will show pages 1-4 of the first issue, and the next two posts will show pages 5-8 and 9-12.  I should add that the format remained constant with a color centerfold and back page, which along with the cover would have been one wrap.  Enjoy!

In fact there were multiple size changes. Here are three more of mine. We have #222 (L) from May 1940, which is smaller than #34 (middle). By June 2 1945 (R) the size had shrunk again. The paper is also noticeably thinner and there are only two wraps, compared to the three originally. The printing quality is still top notch though.

001.thumb.JPG.65bc104225e0783dbc825e6401c9dcf2.JPG

On 12/15/2021 at 7:18 PM, adamstrange said:

It would certainly be different if Frank Buck went after Clarabell. (:

MMW #1 p6.jpg

I have three scrap books that were used to collect Mickey Mouse daily comics during WWII.  There are some pretty good stories in those books.  I think some of them have been reprinted in WDCS or by later publishers.

30677651393_8c462c40d7_h.jpg

On 12/15/2021 at 12:50 PM, AJD said:

Thank you for sharing those Rich. I try not to covet the wonderful acquisitions that other people make, and just be happy for them, but I'll admit I'm struggling with this one! Some of the MMW copies I own are among my favourite collection items, and having those early ones in really nice condition and in a format that makes handling easy... OK, I'm jealous. lol

Here are my two favourites, which fit in nicely with other patriotic Disney covers I own. Your volume 2 would contain the first of these.

MMW_VE_Day.jpg.236f619b8b4fb0b875a7eb5be1179dda.jpg

I've been looking at this cover for a while. Every character overjoyed that VE day is here at last.

Except for Minnie Mouse. She looks pie-eyed by comparison.

Mickey is displaying the standard Churchill "V for Victory" signs via his fingers. Minnie is too - on her right hand. Her left hand seems to be an early version of "hang loose".

I think Minnie's been drinking. Maybe Mickey will get lucky . . .

On 12/15/2021 at 6:19 PM, BB-Gun said:

I have three scrap books that were used to collect Mickey Mouse daily comics during WWII.  There are some pretty good stories in those books.  I think some of them have been reprinted in WDCS or by later publishers.

All are now reprinted by Fantagraphics.

On 11/23/2021 at 5:17 PM, Stingrayiii said:

A few more to add to the collection.

One of my Favorite covers.

20211123_153050.jpg.2c3ef976cbc01b68bbe871c3872536be.jpg

Nicest Copy I have seen. Off to get graded.

20211123_153848.jpg.c20200ce14baa29a1c7d7fc87285f873.jpg

Another great looking book. Would be perfect, but has a 1cm tear on the back.

20211123_154006.jpg.9e3ac4b0f947c1676bb1c4a82b1b0d32.jpg

WDCS #11- Came back as 4.5 Very happy with grade. Thought it would have been lower in the 3.5 area.

Four Color #231 Came back as a 9.2 Was hoping for a better grade.

Four color #248 Came back as a 9.0 Was hoping for a better grade.

The other ones I sent out October still haven't moved. But these ones sent the first of this month came back. Go figure. lol.
Lets hope the others fair better then the last two four color grades. haha.

Edited by Stingrayiii

If I could only have one collection of comics while being stranded on a desert island it would be between every Carl Barks Duck books and Archie up to 1962. As much as I love Archie, I lean more toward Barks, though. Every panel is a masterpiece. The work Harry Lucey did on Archie as well as his MLJ superhero stuff, comes close.