• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2022 at 6:55 PM, Stingrayiii said:

That’s a crazy price for a book you could have probably picked up raw for $200 even five years ago. A very nice book but not at that price.

Honestly one of the reasons I migrated to Barks and Disney collecting is that I was sick of the hype driven market of super hero books. I bought most of my higher grade keys 3-4 years ago cuz they were pretty much a dead market relative to other comic book niches and considered it an opportunity. But I really hope those same drivers have not discovered our little piece of the comic world… I’m out the second someone on YouTube starts hyping a live action Donald Duck movie staring Leonardo DiCaprio 😂

On 1/2/2022 at 5:19 AM, dikran1 said:

Honestly one of the reasons I migrated to Barks and Disney collecting is that I was sick of the hype driven market of super hero books. I bought most of my higher grade keys 3-4 years ago cuz they were pretty much a dead market relative to other comic book niches and considered it an opportunity. But I really hope those same drivers have not discovered our little piece of the comic world… I’m out the second someone on YouTube starts hyping a live action Donald Duck movie staring Leonardo DiCaprio 😂

I don't think you have to worry too much; the trend comes and goes. When the buyer of that sweet Mickey book tries to recoup his investment and can't he'll tell his friends! There are a few duck and mice blue chips that I think will keep moving (DD 9,29, US 386, MM 16, WDCS 1,31) but beyond that I don't see this as a major trend as the fan base just isn't there.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 1/2/2022 at 2:17 PM, Stingrayiii said:

I really think most of Carl Barks four colors in high grade is undervalued for sure. But that is fine by me. If I can keep getting High Grade issues being cheap now who knows. Most of these books are over 60 Years old. And is getting harder to find all the time in high grade.

I'm mostly glad that what is being sold is going to strong handed collectors and not flippers, chances are if you skipped something, you won't see it again for many years. Took 3 years for a WDCS #1 that didn't look like used toilet paper to go up for auction...

On 1/2/2022 at 8:44 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I don't think you have to worry too much; the trend comes and goes. When the buyer of that sweet Mickey book tries to recoup his investment and can't he'll tell his friends! There are a few duck and mice blue chips that I think will keep moving (DD 9,29, US 386, MM 16, WDCS 1,31) but beyond that I don't see this as a major trend as the fan base just isn't there.

Sadly, you are probably right.

It is even more true in the area of early Disney toys as well. Maybe more so.

There are so many great, colorful 1930’s vintage toys that just bring a fraction of what they used to. The folks that really love them are passing on and the younger generations just don’t seem to care much for them.

A few weeks ago I picked up this wonderful 1938 Donald toy for $35. I couldn’t get my wallet out fast enough. A few years ago this would fly at $200.

F5E31C9C-8A04-4B94-960A-D1747D50CC62.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

As usual, Robot Man is right on target.  I actually have multiples of some great pieces because I know what they used to sell for and I can't resist them at today's prices.  Sadly, they will someday sell for even less than I paid.  This just illustrates once again that you should collect what you really like.

I remember going to the flea markets in the seventies and seeing really old pieces from the late 1800's or early 1900's and wondering who would buy that stuff. It didn't have any appeal to me. Same phenomenon here I suppose. It's a little surprising in that some of the early Disney merchandise was well made and built and looked good so you'd think it would still bring decent money. On the other hand I probably wouldn't buy that wagon either even at that discounted price.

I don't know guys... I was a Disney fan long before I discovered these books, I'm the perfect storm of Disney consumer: Annual pass, Vacation Club, D23, shareholder, you name it, I'm a member of it and I live in Canada! I hadn't even read a Barks book until 2017... Now I'm spending thousands a month to amass every nice looking (and not so nice looking) copy I come across... I can't be the only one, there must be thousands of people/collectors like me (I hope...)

On 1/5/2022 at 11:10 AM, dikran1 said:

I don't know guys... I was a Disney fan long before I discovered these books, I'm the perfect storm of Disney consumer: Annual pass, Vacation Club, D23, shareholder, you name it, I'm a member of it and I live in Canada! I hadn't even read a Barks book until 2017... Now I'm spending thousands a month to amass every nice looking (and not so nice looking) copy I come across... I can't be the only one, there must be thousands of people/collectors like me (I hope...)

Well there are thousands of Disney fanatics for sure. Just not as big a subset buying pricey vintage Disney comics. And all the readily available reprints slices the pie even smaller to those who really want the original material.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:24 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I remember going to the flea markets in the seventies and seeing really old pieces from the late 1800's or early 1900's and wondering who would buy that stuff. It didn't have any appeal to me. Same phenomenon here I suppose. It's a little surprising in that some of the early Disney merchandise was well made and built and looked good so you'd think it would still bring decent money. On the other hand I probably wouldn't buy that wagon either even at that discounted price.

I look at stuff like this toy as a logical and natural progression like I do all my other comic book related items.

I started picking up this stuff while hunting for comics. I have always felt they complimented the comics and displayed with them.

I realized as much as I loved GA Superman comics (as an example), having. Superman Krypto Ray Gun in the box was just as cool and just enhanced the experience.

The fact, that a lot of this stuff has dropped a bit in price, just makes it more affordable to occasionally pick up a cool piece. 

On 1/5/2022 at 3:37 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well there are thousands of Disney fanatics for sure. Just not as big a subset buying pricey vintage Disney comics. And all the readily available reprints slices the pie even smaller to those who really want the original material.

Why would the reprints affect the price of the originals? Action 1 has been reprinted 10,000 times...

I'm 47, have my own business, no kids, my era of comics was the 80s and junk 90s, I grew up with GI Joe, Transformers, and Marvel & DC superheroes. But as I grew older my tastes changed, I still love that but my appreciation for what came before turned into a fascination and now a passion. I never read a GA book in my youth and now somehow I have an extensive collection of them. These characters are timeless and their early appearances will be cherished for generations, that's my opinion anyway.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:01 PM, dikran1 said:

Why would the reprints affect the price of the originals? Action 1 has been reprinted 10,000 times...

I'm 47, have my own business, no kids, my era of comics was the 80s and junk 90s, I grew up with GI Joe, Transformers, and Marvel & DC superheroes. But as I grew older my tastes changed, I still love that but my appreciation for what came before turned into a fascination and now a passion. I never read a GA book in my youth and now somehow I have an extensive collection of them. These characters are timeless and their early appearances will be cherished for generations, that's my opinion anyway.

I'm 40, and the same thing.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:10 AM, dikran1 said:

I hadn't even read a Barks book until 2017... Now I'm spending thousands a month to amass every nice looking (and not so nice looking) copy I come across... I can't be the only one, there must be thousands of people/collectors like me (I hope...)

I feel the same, I really do feel these books are undervalued. Just all the money right now is in marvel books. It will turn our way one day.

On 1/8/2022 at 12:01 PM, mlansdown said:

It's been 15 years since I last added a Disney Firestone giveaway to my collection, and within the span of two weeks, I found two nice copies.  The 1948 was purchased raw on eBay, purportedly from the Firestone archives, and the 1947 was purchased from a fellow boardie (thanks @Stingrayiii !).  I'm still on the hunt for 1943, 1944, and 1945.  Hopefully, I don't have to wait another 15 years to track these books down...

Donald and Mickey Firestone 1947 CGC 9.2 CR-OW.jpg

Donald and Mickey Firestone 1948.jpg

Nice! Somehow in all my years of duck collecting these have always eluded me. That might be because they didn't seem to show up so often at the shows back east when I was putting together my original duck collection. Perhaps I should start looking?

On 1/9/2022 at 9:58 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Nice! Somehow in all my years of duck collecting these have always eluded me. That might be because they didn't seem to show up so often at the shows back east when I was putting together my original duck collection. Perhaps I should start looking?

They are really fun books - I only wish that Barks did the covers...

On 1/5/2022 at 9:24 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I kinda want to get fun scarce things like the wagon if they're at a good price, and the biggest thing stopping me is storage.  Maybe it's my generation, but I move a lot, so amassing things is very off putting because I know I'm going to have to keep packing and moving it.  If space wasn't an issue, I'd have rooms full of books and toys.  

On 1/9/2022 at 8:58 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I have a few more firestones if you are interested.

On 1/2/2022 at 5:44 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I fully agree with you. The rise is especially for medium/high graded, while the others are still "cheap". It's not just about Barks art, but on every Disney comics right now. It will end up soon, I'm sure.