• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,430 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2022 at 4:25 PM, Stingrayiii said:

I have a few more firestones if you are interested.

No desire to jump a queue here, but if Frank doesn't want them (and I hope he does) I wouldn't mind a look at anything for sale. I've never owned one of those.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:08 AM, tth2 said:

That was actually less than I expected.

Not a crazy price at all, but, no bondage or GGA so was it really surprising? :kidaround:

On 1/15/2022 at 3:42 AM, adamstrange said:

Not a crazy price at all, but, no bondage or GGA so was it really surprising? :kidaround:

Yeah actually for what is one of the greatest Duck Four Colors in that condition from a pedigree collection that price actually doesn't surprise me either and I also thought maybe it would go higher with the big run up on the Promise Collection. Can't wait to see the price on the Metro file copy now.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:08 AM, tth2 said:

That was actually less than I expected.

Thanks a lot Tim.   Your comment cost me 1800 bucks as it made me look online and win the Mummy's Ring.   Just a 6 but then I can actually read it and I've always seen that as the first real barks book so it will be fun to pick one up.   Except I already blew my brains out on other stuff... .soo..... THANKS

Edited by Bronty

On 1/15/2022 at 2:22 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Metro Frozen Gold

OK almost looks like a bargain next to the Promise copy now!

I'm not sure I trust their raw grading.   (Not just them mind you, some dealers are stricter some are looser).   But the few times I've tried buying raw books from metro I just didn't feel the grade was right.   7k for a 9.0 sounds good, but 7k for a 8.0 ?  Less appealing.    So for me personally I don't see buying anything HG raw from them.   Not sure what experiences others have had.

Edited by Bronty

Two interesting auctions that closed a few days ago:

WDC1.thumb.png.ae790fb1503a4a9298d0b5dc20b21e14.pngWDCT2.thumb.png.7cc621ae534517737ae7f14ccc1b1f6f.png

This n°2 seems a real bargain

By the way, I read not too long ago THE Disney story that's fits perfectly this thread. A comic book collecting story! Exceptionally good stuff good IMO.

peninha.jpeg.e0aaa94acdebeb2658a0c1f02af8b3aa.jpeg

On 1/15/2022 at 1:18 PM, Bronty said:

Thanks a lot Tim.   Your comment cost me 1800 bucks as it made me look online and win the Mummy's Ring.   Just a 6 but then I can actually read it and I've always seen that as the first real barks book so it will be fun to pick one up.   Except I already blew my brains out on other stuff... .soo..... THANKS

1955132602_DDFC29Front.thumb.jpg.5905aa4d76d51731429572b966730add.jpg

Just picked up last year; such a great book!

On 1/15/2022 at 1:20 PM, Bronty said:

I'm not sure I trust their raw grading.   (Not just them mind you, some dealers are stricter some are looser).   But the few times I've tried buying raw books from metro I just didn't feel the grade was right.   7k for a 9.0 sounds good, but 7k for a 8.0 ?  Less appealing.    So for me personally I don't see buying anything HG raw from them.   Not sure what experiences others have had.

I agree, it doesn't look like a 9.0 to me. They have an 8.0 for $3,100 graded, and it looks just as good as the raw. Very hard sell not being graded by CGC.

On 3/3/2022 at 6:01 PM, Yellow Kid said:

These are very nice books that confirm my feeling that carefully selected CGC 5.0-7.0 books are great collector's copies.

I love the feel of a 52 page Disney Comics and Stories in nice condition but that you can still read. Forget about chasing one less spine stress crack to obtain that CGC number!!

On 3/4/2022 at 6:08 PM, dikran1 said:

Was the underbidder on this, thought my bid was strong enough to take it but alas… the hunt continues. 

FA5794C8-4D2A-4C96-B90E-2ED0CCFA4B64.jpeg

An interesting book with a great cover; but I've never been too interested in buying what is basically a reprint book at the substantial price it brings. I'm a Barks guy and this issue doesn't do too much for me. Early WDC&S are more appealing to me in the non-Barks realm due to the variety of work in those issues and oft times relative affordability. Good luck in the search though.