• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

I love that Magica story from childhood. I still have my original copy. Will try to scan it tonight AND reread it! Thanks for posting it. Also I have the USA 42 with the censored Treasure of Marco Polo cover which I'll post if I have time.

Here's another (minor) duck first--the first Beagle Boys

Very cool covers, 143ksk! I forgot the Beagle Boys in my list of keys, I think their first appearance definitely belongs in there. They're the Dr. Doom to Uncle Scrooge's Reed Richards.

Edited by tth2

I had two copies -- this and a higher grade file copy. This one had such nice colors and pages that I sold the file copy for some ridiculously cheap amount and kept this one. I had the chance to get the original art for the censored panel in this story but it was quite expensive at the time. Considering how cool it was, that was a mistake.

745640-DonaldDuck26.jpg

745640-DonaldDuck26.jpg.67b8740a02771bcf8005955fb0a34fa5.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Not a key per se, but I believe OS notes the use of peyote in this issue.

745597-FC328.jpg

Nice looking copy!!! I can help you crack the slab to see the peyote story -- if you're old enough. poke2.gif

Edited by adamstrange

I had the chance to get the original art for the censored panel in this story but it was quite expensive at the time. Considering how cool it was, that was a mistake.

What did they censor ? How much was the art going to cost and how long ago was this ?

> I had the chance to get the original art for the censored panel in this story

Which page were you offered? I bought the splash panel a couple of years ago; it is incredible and one of my favorite possessions. Has the honor spot on my wall right next to my censored "Silent Night" page. Nice to see someone else showing interest in this area.

> Do you have the original or revised version?

The original one. As far as I know the revised splash was destroyed along with all the other published art?

The picture doesn't do this piece justice - the art is in incredible condition and looks like it was drawn yesterday.

ttsplash2.jpg

> hkp do you know any originals missing from that book? Any new finds after it was published?

Last I asked Carsten Laqua, he mentioned a few covers and later (60s) art. The most interesting new discovery (and the only one of pre-1960 art) that I know of is the "Pipsqueeks"(sp?) daily pilot strip (1953-4?) that was offered at a Heritage preview a while back but pulled before the auction. The second most important has to be a 1962 inked Magica drawing that Barks mailed to a fan (I think you notified me about this in a PM). So, as far as I know new finds since Eeronen's book have been very limited.

Edited by hkp

> I had the chance to get the original art for the censored panel in this story

Which page were you offered? I bought the splash panel a couple of years ago; it is incredible and one of my favorite possessions. Has the honor spot on my wall right next to my censored "Silent Night" page. Nice to see someone else showing interest in this area.

Awesome! hail.gif

Do you have the original or revised version?

Barks art was censored for often trivial reasons (gotta protect the kiddies in the age of Wertham) and was then returned to him. We're lucky that it happened or we wouldn't have as much original art. Most all of the rest was destroyed. The definitive write-up on what remains is shown in the book that I've scanned. The Carl Bark Library as well as the Gladstone "complete" reprints both either show some of the originals or try to re-create what Barks originally submitted. These are highly recommended even if you love the original comics, as I do. As far as the original art I could have bought, I'm sorry but I can't remember -- and when I looked at the what remains from the story, I'm thinking it must have been 1/2 page of panels but I can't remember which. Christo_pull_hair.gif

745714-CarlBarksBookFront.jpg

745714-CarlBarksBookFront.jpg.a7f66d09a8d22be011db3b265a79ef69.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Front Cover

745718-CarlBarksBookBack.jpg

745718-CarlBarksBookBack.jpg.d9626dea32f4df3dc14a8092f9284f9a.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Holy Moley, that's a fantastic piece of art! This is quickly becoming one of the best threads on the boards. All these ducks are bringing back memories of summer family car trips where my parents would buy my brother and I comic books to keep us occupied.

I guess Barks art disappearing should not be surprising, but I've been told that his stuff went for big bucks (relatively speaking) even in the late 60s when comic collecting was just starting.

FC 9 (the uber-key, the AF 15, Showcase 4 and Action 1 of duck-dom: the first Barks duck book)

FC 178 (first Uncle Scrooge)

FC 199 (classic cover)

FC 386 (considered to be first issue of Scrooge in own title)

US ? (first Magica deSpell)

US 64 (treasure of Marco Polo, banned by Disney from being reprinted for many years)

WDC&S 98 (first Uncle Scrooge appearance in WDC&S)

The first FC with a Scrooge cover, and the first Flintheart Goldglom appearance, would also be keys, but I'm spacing on which issues they were and I don't have a copy of the Guide at work with me. Arty and hkp are lightyears beyond me in terms of Duck expertise, so perhaps they could contribute to this list.

Glad to get in on the duck action before this thread drifts off page 1...which I hope it never does!

I believe Magic DeSpell's first appearance was US 36 or 39...

I believe the US 64 was ultimately banned as much for the way it portrayed asians as for any real commentary on vietnam. I have a beat up reader copy somewhere, I'll track it down and re-read.

You meant Flintheart Glomgold , not Goldglom smile.gif

Other keys include FC 223, "Lost in the Andes," aka "the square egg story." This is definitely a key in the sense that it's valued higher than the FC duck books around it, including FC 199 I think ("Sherrif of Bullet Valley"), and this is due to so many people remembering and loving the story.

I would list Donald Duck # 26 as another key of sorts, since it's Donald's first issue under his own title (after 25 appearances in FC), and it's the only Barks story based on a cartoon..! That and the fact that many kids cut the back cover off in order to make the "Donald Duck Halloween Mask" make it a tough find in high grade.

I'll try to post a few Barks classics this evening... this is a Barks-only thread, right?

I always wanted Vacation Parade #1 as a kid in the 1970s. I liked the motorcycle with the "moving" wheels. Here's a nice copy from Mexico published in 1955.

z-desfile1.JPG

and the back cover

z-desfile2.JPG.

Also another cool Mexican issue from 1951 with the animated cover, if you want to cut it.

z-circo1.JPG.

z-circo2.JPG