• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweet 16, Round 5: Daredevil #168 vs New Teen Titans #1 (1980)

Daredevil #168 vs New Teen Titans #1 (1980)  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Daredevil #168 vs New Teen Titans #1 (1980)

55 posts in this topic

NTT #1 - It's funny how 25 years later this is even a debate - maybe the Miller legacy is better, or the Daredevil movie added a tad of legitimacy to the run. Its a good run, probably the best daredevil run. HOWEVER.... Marv and George created something new, you can say they were palgerizing the X-Men phenom and if we were comparing GS X-men #1 to NTT #1 I'd go with the X-Men, but we are NOT. makepoint.gif In NTT we are talking about one of the most important comic book series of the 1980s.

And the winner is:

Daredevil #168

38 55%

New Teen Titans #1 (1980)

31 45%

This points out the age of the people on the boards. To vote Daredevil 168 over NTT 1 is simply ludicrous if you knew what was happening at DC in 1980. Never let facts get in the way of revisionist history.

I agree. I wonder if DC would have still been publishing by the mid-80s if not for NTT. I don't know about the Batman books, but I remember reading somewhere that Superman circulation numbers were on par with a soon-to-be cancelled Marvel title like Dazzler in the early 80s.

So while 168 is certainly an important book, I think NTT 1 had a bigger impact.

This points out the age of the people on the boards. To vote Daredevil 168 over NTT 1 is simply ludicrous if you knew what was happening at DC in 1980. Never let facts get in the way of revisionist history.

uh, no, not necessarily. To believe that, you would have to have some agreed standard on the criteria for voting, something like "Choose the book which had the biggest long-run commercial impact, or was the more significant trend-setter creatively." Instead, it is just a preference poll, where voters can choose based on any criteria they wish. It is the discussion that's fun/valuable where we each flesh out the reasons for choosing as we did.

Like I said before some will vote based on commercial success, some will vote based on how collectible the issue is today, some will vote based on nostalgia, or "historical importance" or what-have-you.

I'm just saying that yes, with my 2005 bifocals on, I like Daredevil #168 "way more" than NTT #1.

And I say that as a 42-year old primarily DC fan. confused-smiley-013.gif