• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweet 16, Round 6: Giant Sized X-Men #1 vs Cerebus #1

Giant Sized X-Men #1 vs Cerebus #1  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Giant Sized X-Men #1 vs Cerebus #1

32 posts in this topic

I've hung out with Dave a couple of times - and he's had many positive and polite conversations with women while I've been around. I get the sense that he doesn't hate anyone...

You have to understand that Dave is an intellectual satirist, and in most ways, a student of Voltaire - he definitely values Reason highly above all else. As a result he just doesn't agree with the basic tenets of Feminism - which are not Reason-based (with a capital R) but rather, emotion or instinct-based.

GSX#1....no contest.

During its' first five or six years, Cerebus was seen by many comic aficionados in the U.K. as the title you'd move on to once you became jaded and bored with super-hero mainstream fare.

That was part of the point of Cerebus. It wasn't an exploitative comic with "mature" content, it was Independent. It had attitude and cynicism, and mocked four color convention. So obviously it had considerable influence on that part of the market, plus it was a quality book, even though it was sometimes precious and self-indulgent.

GS X-Men 1 on the other hand, as robreact stated, refocussed Marvel's attention on the super-hero genre and was also the true launching pad for debatably the biggest franchise in comics.

So GSX 1 all the way, even though Cerebus deserves to get to the semi-finals too.

So GSX 1 all the way, even though Cerebus deserves to get to the semi-finals too.

'nuff said!

Sure, the direct market might have evolved the way it has without Cerebus. Creator's rights might have been brought to the fore without Cerebus. Trade paperback reprints of entire runs of comics might have been developed into a large part of the market without Cerebus. The whole non-superhero, independent black-and-white comic genre might have grown up without Cerebus. Other books and creators might have gotten going without the push a backup feature in Cerebus gave them. And self-publishing might have come to be viewed as a legitimate alternative to DC/Marvel/Image by a whole generation of writers and artists without Cerebus. But the fact that Cerebus did all that I think deserves a lot more respect than GSX1. It's like saying Jackie Robinson wasn't important because there was Larry Doby, Sam Jethroe, and Pumpsie Green coming in after him.

If Sim had sold out on Cerebus the way it could have been marketed and merchandised, he could have been as big as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. But he didn't. He kept his book to himself, answering to no one because that was his means of expression. If making Underoos of the characters makes the book more important, then I must be wrong. I don't see it that way, though.