• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mighty World of Marvel.
3 3

189 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2022 at 11:09 PM, letsgrumble said:

I don't have that one! 

But I have only been looking at issues 1-39 from the first series. I used to have some of these issues in bound remaindered volumes that made their way to Canada in the late 1970s/early 1980s. That was my first exposure to Captain Britain and Marvel UK reprint titles. I noticed that you had some for sale not too long ago. Man, I wished I had kept them. As a kid, I would remove the individual comics from the glue binding.

When I was doing some research on those bound volumes I came across one in a past auction (can't remember the auction house name) and it was the same one I had with Captain Britain 1 and 2 with the free gifts present and it looked in beautiful condition, I would have had a go at it if I had known.

On 2/15/2022 at 6:19 PM, batmiesta said:

When I was doing some research on those bound volumes I came across one in a past auction (can't remember the auction house name) and it was the same one I had with Captain Britain 1 and 2 with the free gifts present and it looked in beautiful condition, I would have had a go at it if I had known.

When I saw your recent sales listing that included the bound volumes, that was the first time I had seen them in decades.

On 3/13/2022 at 7:41 AM, batmiesta said:

Never really collected it? Wouldn't like to see them if you had? :eek: Or should that be love to see them if you had?hm

I collected them as a kid, but once I found the originals, that was all I wanted, the only title I collected was Spider-Man as that was my favorite but as I got an original it replaced the British reprint in my collection and I wallpapered my first comic room walls and ceiling with the covers of the British Spiderman comics, I wish I still had a photo of that room, it was quite striking, or so I thought at the time, probably my most expensive wallpaper too :cry:

Back in the day, I bought out of newspaper ads and sometimes a sale was all or nothing, so acquired lots as most kids had a mixture of British and US

Does anyone know if issues #1, #2 or #3 of the Mighty World of Marvel (UK) were to be sent in for grading would get a universal grade or qualified grade without the iron-ons for #1 & #2 or the stickers for #3? I don't think they were attached to the mag/newspaper itself like say the tattooz are in ASM #238, so they wouldn't be considered incomplete, correct? There are so few graded, so any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

On 4/3/2023 at 6:55 PM, trduchien said:

Does anyone know if issues #1, #2 or #3 of the Mighty World of Marvel (UK) were to be sent in for grading would get a universal grade or qualified grade without the iron-ons for #1 & #2 or the stickers for #3? I don't think they were attached to the mag/newspaper itself like say the tattooz are in ASM #238, so they wouldn't be considered incomplete, correct? There are so few graded, so any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Have a read of this 'Ask CGC' thread:

Thanks for the link! Much appreciated.

That person also asked about pressing with the transfer included and didn't get an answer, so hopefully me commenting will bump it to get one.

"I too would like to know how an iron-on transfer could be included if you plan to have the book pressed without then transfer also being pressed, which would ruin the transfer and book, or them not being separated and lost. I have a #1 and 2 #2s in for pressing and grading now, but do not have the transfers to worry about this, but would like to know if I ever get those transfers to add. I do have the stickers for #3 but still need the MWOM #3 book."

On 4/4/2023 at 6:21 PM, batmiesta said:

I remember these being advertised on the back of Marvel weeklies in 1977, first time I have owned a set though. 

1131600588_Cardgame.jpg.07c0255d8be7accc6f31a7adecb7f8c4.jpg925231679_Cardgame1.thumb.png.7fdbf839756e0383aa58c28de2e158ef.png

I used to love playing with those cards as a kid. And the Doctor Who ones too. I gave my set to the nephew. Should've kept them really.

The words "Special Powers Ten" will forever transport me back to my happy youth. As do "A man of Muco Machinism!" which, as I recall, was our rendition of whatever the correct wording was for The Tarantula. We always made up silly stuff like that :cloud9:

I posted this rare card in a thread once:

SpecialPowers10(2).PNG.88ccb8290f982764b2adb4c1a0316a81.PNG

Not sure if anyone noticed. Note the weapon singular....

On 4/4/2023 at 8:41 PM, batmiesta said:

At least you didn't give it a 10.:eyeroll:

Half each :grin:

Each, I said, not inch.

Really though Batmiesta - the Surfer was missing his weapon's s:

weapon.thumb.jpg.94d4abe4c7ab3f0ffe3b33bf5c57e9af.jpg

Just the surfboard I suppose....