• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westworld 2016
2 2

527 posts in this topic

Enjoyed it enough to keep watching. Still trying to figure out how the technology's supposed to work...are the sets real or are they holograms?

Good question.

I'm pretty sure real; you see people walking up and down stairs, otherwise physically interacting with their surroundings.

The layout in the control room is another matter; looks almost like they're looking at an aerial live feed at times.

Which brings up a thought: this had to be built in a remote enough area that never or gets airplanes overhead.

Enjoyed it enough to keep watching. Still trying to figure out how the technology's supposed to work...are the sets real or are they holograms?

Good question.

I'm pretty sure real; you see people walking up and down stairs, otherwise physically interacting with their surroundings.

The layout in the control room is another matter; looks almost like they're looking at an aerial live feed at times.

Which brings up a thought: this had to be built in a remote enough area that never or gets airplanes overhead.

The possibility of airplanes makes sense, and if I gave it enough thought I could probably come up with a few dozen other reminders of the modern world being inadvertently inserted into that remote area. I haven't seen the 1970s film so I don't know if it was explained there or not, but they definitely didn't explain it in the first episode.

Good question.

The possibility of airplanes makes sense, and if I gave it enough thought I could probably come up with a few dozen other reminders of the modern world being inadvertently inserted into that remote area. I haven't seen the 1970s film so I don't know if it was explained there or not, but they definitely didn't explain it in the first episode.

I don't know if you'd need airplanes, I assume in the future satellite cameras would be sufficient, but I guess you could have high altitude drones.

Good question.

I don't know if you'd need airplanes, I assume in the future satellite cameras would be sufficient, but I guess you could have high altitude drones.

Huh? Neither of us said anything about "needing" airplanes, he meant that if an airplane passed overhead you'd be taken out of the Old West setting.

I liked it, but didn't love it. I think its more cool than good. I'll probably end up watching it, but it isn't 'must watch' tv the way I feel about Game of Thrones or Night Of or 'The Good Place' (new show on NBC! very funny)

I liked it, but didn't love it. I think its more cool than good. I'll probably end up watching it, but it isn't 'must watch' tv the way I feel about Game of Thrones or Night Of or 'The Good Place' (new show on NBC! very funny)
The Good Place is worth checking out? I thought about it but the premise held me back.

I'm enthralled by the motivations of Anthony Hopkins character. He's experimenting with something in introducing unpredictability into the droid's programming, but what, exactly? Is he trying to make them sentient? Or is android sentience already a known possibility in their world?

The Good Place is worth checking out? I thought about it but the premise held me back.

the premise isn't that great, but it the premise is a pretty good foil to the awfulness of Kristen bell's character, but the jokes are really funny. Its got juussst a bit of the feel of Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but obviously as a network sitcom, and a bit more uplifting and positive overall.

The first four episodes are streaming on Comcast, pretty quick and easy watch to test if you like it.

Edited by Revat

I agree I wasn't hooked with the 1st episode like GoT did.

It might be a slower burn I will watch a few more. TV time is short at my house so it has to be good or its gone.

I'm enthralled by the motivations of Anthony Hopkins character. He's experimenting with something in introducing unpredictability into the droid's programming, but what, exactly? Is he trying to make them sentient? Or is android sentience already a known possibility in their world?

There was a hint about bringing people back from the dead. I think Hopkin's character is motivated to do that in some way regarding a loved one, etc.