• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westworld 2016
2 2

527 posts in this topic

I fell asleep during this episode three times--not due to the quality of the show but because I had a full weekend of babysitting with not enough sleep--so I was in a haze during the scene towards the end between Jeffrey Wright and the farmer's daughter. That scene seems like a highly pivotal moment I want to be clear on. So he lost his son and feels lingering regret because of it and sees her growing sentience as a sorta-replacement for his lost son?

Anyone else starting to think Bernard (Jeffrey Wright) is an android? Ep3 really painted him in that light. Maybe he's one of Anthony Hopkins masterpieces? Hopkins' character doesn't seem to mind deep conversation with he androids. Also, Bernard's bit about how he feels right when he wakes up in the morning seemed like a dead giveaway to me. I think that would add an awesome element to the story; having androids working on the other side of the park.

I fell asleep during this episode three times--not due to the quality of the show but because I had a full weekend of babysitting with not enough sleep--so I was in a haze during the scene towards the end between Jeffrey Wright and the farmer's daughter. That scene seems like a highly pivotal moment I want to be clear on. So he lost his son and feels lingering regret because of it and sees her growing sentience as a sorta-replacement for his lost son?

Anyone else starting to think Bernard (Jeffrey Wright) is an android? Ep3 really painted him in that light. Maybe he's one of Anthony Hopkins masterpieces? Hopkins' character doesn't seem to mind deep conversation with he androids. Also, Bernard's bit about how he feels right when he wakes up in the morning seemed like a dead giveaway to me. I think that would add an awesome element to the story; having androids working on the other side of the park.

I had the same thought right after it explained how the backstories are used to keep the characters grounded so they do not have ambitions to leave and we hear Bernard had a child who died and an estranged ex-wife and he lives at the park.

I'll admit, I hope something substantive happens in the next episode. This one was borderline boring, although I'm enjoying the series overall.

A bit of repetition due to the basic game premise of Westworld but the back stories to each character or android still very interesting to watch. Love the lush USA <3 Western Escalante scenery too.

Comic book related too, as 1st appearance of Westworld was in Crazy mag #5 (circa 1973) by Marvel-Curtis mag. Story art by Bob McLeod (later of New Mutants fame). (thumbs u

The first two episodes of Westworld were exceptional.

At first, I was disappointed that Ed Harris's villain character barely appeared in episode 3. Then I realized there are 2 time lines and this Arnold scientist (Anthony Hopkins's creative partner at the time) may be a young Ed Harris before he put on the black cowboy hat and went on a trail of 'vengeance' within Westworld. But I may be wrong .... :wishluck:

At first, I was disappointed that Ed Harris's villain character barely appeared in episode 3. Then I realized there are 2 time lines and this Arnold scientist (Anthony Hopkins's creative partner at the time) may be a young Ed Harris before he put on the black cowboy hat and went on a trail of 'vengeance' within Westworld. But I may be wrong .... :wishluck:

Does anyone have an idea why when the farmer's daughter broke her loop and shot her rapist that Ed Harris was playing her rapist in her past memories of it? Or where that gun came from that she dug up, hid in the hay, and used to shoot the rapist during episode 3?

Oh, and interestingly they sort of revealed the tech of the bullets in this episode. One of the human guests got shot and they showed him looking at a big bruise where the bullet hit him. So obviously they are real projectiles and do have some force, but they must have some sort of extra force that somehow only kicks in when they hit the androids. Don't know how they would achieve that, but it makes a bit more sense now.

Does anyone have an idea why when the farmer's daughter broke her loop and shot her rapist that Ed Harris was playing her rapist in her past memories of it?

She heard the "voice of God"

Or where that gun came from that she dug up, hid in the hay, and used to shoot the rapist during episode 3?

I thought it was his gun that she lifted when he accosted her in front of the shed.

Does anyone have an idea why when the farmer's daughter broke her loop and shot her rapist that Ed Harris was playing her rapist in her past memories of it?

Why was Ed Harris's character a part of that?

Or where that gun came from that she dug up, hid in the hay, and used to shoot the rapist during episode 3?

I thought it was his gun that she lifted when he accosted her in front of the shed.

So she buried it to use in a future loop of the rape?

She's reaching the top of the "artificial brain pyramid" and is able to access previous memories which apparently are not wiped completely, also the reason why she managed to get away this time. Her "memory" warned her that she was about to be shot in the gut, so she stopped and rode away.

No, she took it from the rapist during the struggle. She never looks for it when she is in the hay, she is thrown down, "sinks" into the hay and her hand rises holding the gun, so she probably had it in her hand when she got thrown down. Plus the moment she pulls the gun on the would-be rapist he reaches for his own and realizes she is using his gun against him.

Remember one moment she is holding then gun in her hand - then she tucks it back in the draw - but then she opens the draw supposedly all in the same scene and the gun is gone?

I think that was two loops being presented, but in her mind the gun just disappeared. So in the previously loop she may have already staged the gun in the hay knowing in advance the events to come from her loop.

No, she took it from the rapist during the struggle. She never looks for it when she is in the hay, she is thrown down, "sinks" into the hay and her hand rises holding the gun, so she probably had it in her hand when she got thrown down. Plus the moment she pulls the gun on the would-be rapist he reaches for his own and realizes she is using his gun against him.

We'll see in the next episode - maybe. But remember she found that pistol out in the field, and was wondering how it got there?

She's reaching the top of the "artificial brain pyramid" and is able to access previous memories which apparently are not wiped completely, also the reason why she managed to get away this time. Her "memory" warned her that she was about to be shot in the gut, so she stopped and rode away.

What's Ed Harris got to do with that?

What's Ed Harris got to do with that?

He did the same to her 3 or 4 resets ago..who else knows what he did in that shed to her ?

Why would Ed Harris be a part of an android character's loop doing the same thing an android character is doing when he's supposedly a human?

1) is he human ?

Or

2) The Ed Harris character did the exact same thing to her as a guest. From his comment ("I've been coming here for 30 years")he had done it before, kill the host bounty hunter and then take Dolores to the barn and violate her.

This time the farm got attacked, mom and dad host got killed and a guest got the opportunity to violate the girl. He declined and the outlaw host then took over and was about to play the part.

When he was about to do the exact same thing Ed Harris had done at least once (but probably more) that memory came back. In Dolores' mind the image of Ed Harris overlapped the image of the outlaw host and then she heard the "voice of God" saying "kill him".

I'm still debating why she was only able to pull the trigger (and hear the voice of god) when she "saw" the image of Ed Harris. Is it hatred for multiple violations by Ed Harris ? Is this being able to hate the next step in the evolution of her brain (after being able to kill a fly, a living being in the previous episode). Does this mean she will now be able to kill any guest she wants to ?

Seen pretty likely that Ed Harris' character is Arnold...or an android version of Arnold.

Seen pretty likely that Ed Harris' character is Arnold...or an android version of Arnold.

:o

I did not think about the replicant of Arnold theory. I like it!

:ohnoez: