• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW's Smallville revisited
2 2

113 posts in this topic

Dammit. This thread has made me want to watch it again. Just ordered the series on Amazon. :taptaptap:

.... someday I'll stumble across it in a bargain bin somewhere..... because I would LOVE to own the series..... just not at a couple hundred plus...... it's high up on my list of fondly remembered shows...... but then, so is Magnum P.I. and Lost in Space :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Dammit. This thread has made me want to watch it again. Just ordered the series on Amazon. :taptaptap:

.... someday I'll stumble across it in a bargain bin somewhere..... because I would LOVE to own the series..... just not at a couple hundred plus...... it's high up on my list of fondly remembered shows...... but then, so is Magnum P.I. and Lost in Space :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

It's on sale at Amazon for $106. That's worth it to me at about 10 bucks a season

It's on sale at Amazon for $106. That's worth it to me at about 10 bucks a season

..... now that's a bargain..... I may have to seek that out..... GOD BLESS....

Season Nine is quite the wild ride. Although it can be confusing at times if you don't stay on top of each detail shown.

High points:

- JSA (Season Nine: Absolute Justice, Part 1, Absolute Justice, Part 2, Salvation): This episode was fantastic. Especially the actors playing Hawkman and Doctor Fate.

- Zatanna (Season Nine: Warrior): This was a great appearance, and a cool episode where a kid steals a rare comic that was cursed which makes him his dream superhero.

Low to medium points:

- Jor-El appearance (Season Nine: Kandor): Played by Julian Sands. We find out Jor-El had lived on Earth at one point in his life ( hm ), and this is now his clone showing up with a confusing story about a science experiment leading to the creation of...

- Zod and the Kandorian Army: Created originally to be clones to maintain the life of Kandor heroes, they now turn out to be a large group with no super powers wishing to conquer Earth. This is where the season gets confusing.

- Tess Mercer: Throughout the season she goes back and forth with her loyalties to Lex, Zod, Clark, herself, humanity - very confusing character.

I'm far from finished with the season. But these items stood out so far.

Completely agree across the board but you also left out the fact that the actress is absolutely gorgeous! I had a mega crush on her and Allison Mack.

Completely agree across the board but you also left out the fact that the actress is absolutely gorgeous! I had a mega crush on her and Allison Mack.

There are many gorgeous ladies in this series. The CW sure knew how to keep that going.

Season Nine wrap-up:

- It does end quite strong, with one heck of a cliffhanger.

- Zod is quite the nasty piece of work to everyone. Not just humans and Clark Kent. Nobody is above being sacrificed for the Zod greater good.

- Chloe becomes even more key to the overall team. Though even by Season Seven she became a central character worth watching.

- Tess Mercer's plans seem to bring a fitting end. Though she turns out to not be so evil.

- Ma Kent: WOW! Don't mess with Mamma. :ohnoez::whee::ohnoez:

Season Ten, which was the final for this show, is interesting. There are times I want to like it, and then then are times where it is clear the episode was just filler.

There is one episode I was surprised how it turned out where Clark and Oliver go into the Phantom Zone. It felt like parts of the story from Warworld where Clark had to fight Mongul's warriors.

shIH4nP.jpg

The threat of Darkseid throughout is so drawn out, at times it can feel like too much of a tease. I'll have to see how it all comes together.

Worth a watch. But I like Seasons Six through Nine much more.

That's what I had said when the reboot came out a few years back. That DC should've made the movie as an extension of Smallville, with Clark becoming Superman. Use the Smallville cast and everything.

And, I'm talking about the crappy Kevin Spacey reboot.

Just got done with the finale. You were not kidding about a HUGE missed opportunity.

Even the way they closed out the entire run with the Superman movie theme from John Williams. It was so perfectly setup for a follow-up film.

:(

...I would imagine by that point most of them were thoroughly burnt out on the whole affair. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

...I would imagine by that point most of them were thoroughly burnt out on the whole affair. GOD BLESS...

I thought the same thing after ten seasons. But the main character actor (Tom Welling) was very much open to doing a Smallville movie right after the finale.

Tom Welling Talks 'Smallville' Movie

The series finale of Smallville, which told the story of Superman before he became Superman, aired about a month ago. Welling said that if he were offered the opportunity to play Clark Kent in a Smallville movie, he wouldn’t turn down the gig.

Earlier this year, co-star Erica Durance had said that she was open to playing Lois Lane again, but it would have to be with her Smallville family. “I would be open to all sorts of discussions about opportunities to revisit her, but to me, where my mind is right now, it would have to be with Tom Welling. It would have to be with Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor). It would have to be this Lois, that I know,” Durance said.

What is interesting is the cast was so loyal to the main show, even when there was talk of spin-offs they turned them down until this had run its full course.

During the sixth season there was talk of spinning off the Green Arrow into his own series, but Hartley refused to talk about the possibility of a spin-off because of his role on Smallville. The actor felt it his duty to respect what the show had accomplished in five seasons, and not "steal the spotlight" because there was "talk" of a spin-off after his two appearances. According to Hartley, "talking" was as far as the spin-off idea ever got.

Maybe. But a nice payday with some box office performance bonuses would've rekindled the fire pretty quickly, I think.

I thoroughly loved seasons 1 to 6. got distracted by dexter but should get back to season 7.

Seven through Nine was really good.

And wait until you get to Season Nine - Absolute Justice. Doctor Fate and Hawkman were really good. But also all the heroes being hunted down by a super-villain had a feeling of Watchmen, which was a great twist on older characters. I enjoyed it. And on IMDb, that episode alone received a 9.1 and ranks high overall for Smallville across all seasons.

:cloud9:

I absolutely enjoyed Smallville from its inception, until the final episode of season 10, and own all 10 seasons on DVD. I also continued to read the collected Smallville season 11 comic, which while a very enjoyable read, the artwork sometimes disappoints. The meeting of Clark and Bruce Wayne was particularly well done.

I, like many here, was surprised that Warner did not translate Smallville directly to film, and instead chose to reboot the Superman movie mythos with Superman Returns. IMO, Michael Rosenbaum is the quintessential Alexander Luthor.

I absolutely enjoyed Smallville from its inception, until the final episode of season 10, and own all 10 seasons on DVD. I also continued to read the collected Smallville season 11 comic, which while a very enjoyable read, the artwork sometimes disappoints. The meeting of Clark and Bruce Wayne was particularly well done.

I, like many here, was surprised that Warner did not translate Smallville directly to film, and instead chose to reboot the Superman movie mythos with Superman Returns. IMO, Michael Rosenbaum is the quintessential Alexander Luthor.

He was the best character on the show.

Although, Lois was my favorite. :grin:

John Glover as Lionel Luthor was yet another outstanding character in the cast. Lois (Erica Durance) had to grow on me. I always felt that Clark and Lana (Kristin Kreuk) made for the better match.

John Glover as Lionel Luthor was yet another outstanding character in the cast. Lois (Erica Durance) had to grow on me. I always felt that Clark and Lana (Kristin Kreuk) made for the better match.

Agree with all that.

I just have the hots for Lois.