• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW's Smallville revisited
2 2

113 posts in this topic

For those wanting to revisit this series without having to purchase the full run.

Smallville Is Heading To Hulu

Hulu has landed the exclusive streaming rights for all of Smallville! Look for it to happen “exclusively on Hulu later this year.” It’s not a date, but it’s something, right?

As part of a multi-show deal that also includes The OC, Southland, Blindspot and Lucifer, the report says that Smallville is headed to Hulu and that the CW series often credited with revitalizing both the Superman brand and comic book TV will stream in its entirety on that platform.

Of course, it's worth noting that Lucifer is a DC Comics property, Blindspot is produced by The Flash's Greg Berlanti, and both The OC and Southland featured Ben McKenzie from Gotham. So this is, all in all, a pretty DC-friendly slate of new acquisitions for Hulu.

:applause:

A lengthy article about how Smallville came about, the creators and actors involved, and where they went afterwards.

‘Smallville’ Anniversary: Looking Back at the CW’s First Superhero Series

When The WB Network premiered Smallville in 2001 as a modern take on the Superman myth, costumes and capes weren’t considered cool. Even the X-Men traded their spandex for black leather, and Tobey Maguire had not yet swung into theaters as Spider-Man. Iron Man was more than a half-decade away, and Superman himself hadn’t been seen in movie theaters since 1987. A concept like a Batman vs. Superman film or a notion that there would someday be a handful of comic book related TV series on at the same time seemed like a dream that would never come true.

Flash forward to almost ten years after the series premiere, Smallville had survived the move to a fledgling network at a time when their new channel, The CW, had higher priorities mostly involving pretty-young-rich-people dramas like Gossip Girl. The show had gone from “freaks of the week” to full-on superhero events written by DC Entertainment’s own Geoff Johns, with the romance between Clark Kent and Lois Lane also told on screen in those final seasons. Several cast members, including Rosenbaum and Kreuk, departed the show, as did creators Gough and Millar. Ultimately, Smallville reached 218 episodes. And then it was over.

That end came with the two-hour series finale (appropriately titled “Finale”) which aired five years ago, on May 13, 2011. Many cast members who had departed over the years — including Michael Rosenbaum, John Glover, Annette O’Toole, and even John Schneider, whose “Jonathan Kent” was killed in the show’s 100th episode — came back for the big end. Some fans were disappointed to see that Tom Welling wasn’t very visibly seen in the Superman costume, but no one can deny that the shirt rip that concluded the series, combined with hearing the classic John Williams “Superman” score, gave audiences goosebumps.

Smallville may have signed off five years ago, but in the words of Jonathan Kent, the fan base will “always hold on to Smallville” and that ten-year journey has an indelible place in TV history.

:applause:

Michael Rosenbaum Opens Up About His SMALLVILLE Departure And Why He Returned For The Finale

tumblr_mou51nigp51r1n1bto1_400.gif

What exactly led to Rosenbaum's departure? Talking in a lengthy interview with Empire Online, the Impastor star explained that Warner Bros. Television President Peter Roth was desperate to get him to stick around, but that he was simply ready to move on to something new by that point in his career.

"He tried to get me to do two more seasons of Smallville. I was very polite and respectful. I said, ‘Peter, my grandma thinks I’m funny and I’ve always wanted to do comedy, and I started out in comedy, and I was doing tons of comedy, and then I was catapulted into this role that I love and it’s been great, but I was contracted for six years to play Lex Luthor, I did seven, and I’m just ready to move on and I’m just ready to take a new step.' He looked at me and says, ‘You know, Julianna Margulies, she turned down millions of dollars to stay with ER and look where she is now.’ It wasn’t two or three years later where she just made a fortune with The Good Wife and all of that, and her career just took off. I said, ‘I’m going to bank on my talent. I’m just going to take a chance on me. I think I’ve done this long enough, I did this character for seven years and I just don’t feel like shaving my head for two more years.’ I came back for the finale, but at the time I just wanted to take a chance."

Rosenbaum went on to explain that he didn't stay up to date with Smallville after leaving and actually stopped watching the show altogether after his departure. However, realising fans wanted to see Lex Luthor make his return in the finale, the actor contacted the network about coming back to the show.

"I finally called them up and said, ‘Hey, look, it’s the last episode ever. I’ll do it, you’ve got me for one day next week.’ When I got there I was, like, ‘What’s happened since I left?’ I had no idea what was going on. There were moments where I just didn’t know what the f— I was doing. I liked my scenes with Tom Welling, but I felt like the show was, for me, done when I left in season seven. Then I sort of did it for the fans and did it for me for closure and to say, ‘Hey, I did come back.’ I did do it, and that’s ultimately why."

All Ten Seasons Of SMALLVILLE On Hulu

smallville-202876.jpg

To celebrate Smallville's fifteenth anniversary, Hulu will have all ten seasons of the WB/CW show on its streaming platform beginning October 1st.

Having Smallville available to watch again lines up nicely with next week's premiere of Supergirl, which will re-introduce Superman to television after a five year absence. While Smallville aired on the same network as Supergirl, the two shows exist in separate continuities.

Smallville ended in 2011, just before superhero television shows became popular again on television. Although many Smallville fans wanted to see Welling reprise his role as Clark Kent on Supergirl, the show instead cast Tyler Hoechlin to play the Man of Steel in several episodes this season. For his part, Welling has stated that it might be "weird" to play Superman again on Supergirl, although he clarified he's a big fan of Supergirl.

Michael Rosenbaum Opens Up About His SMALLVILLE Departure And Why He Returned For The Finale

tumblr_mou51nigp51r1n1bto1_400.gif

What exactly led to Rosenbaum's departure? Talking in a lengthy interview with Empire Online, the Impastor star explained that Warner Bros. Television President Peter Roth was desperate to get him to stick around, but that he was simply ready to move on to something new by that point in his career.

"He tried to get me to do two more seasons of Smallville. I was very polite and respectful. I said, Peter, my grandma thinks Im funny and Ive always wanted to do comedy, and I started out in comedy, and I was doing tons of comedy, and then I was catapulted into this role that I love and its been great, but I was contracted for six years to play Lex Luthor, I did seven, and Im just ready to move on and Im just ready to take a new step.' He looked at me and says, You know, Julianna Margulies, she turned down millions of dollars to stay with ER and look where she is now. It wasnt two or three years later where she just made a fortune with The Good Wife and all of that, and her career just took off. I said, Im going to bank on my talent. Im just going to take a chance on me. I think Ive done this long enough, I did this character for seven years and I just dont feel like shaving my head for two more years. I came back for the finale, but at the time I just wanted to take a chance."

Rosenbaum went on to explain that he didn't stay up to date with Smallville after leaving and actually stopped watching the show altogether after his departure. However, realising fans wanted to see Lex Luthor make his return in the finale, the actor contacted the network about coming back to the show.

"I finally called them up and said, Hey, look, its the last episode ever. Ill do it, youve got me for one day next week. When I got there I was, like, Whats happened since I left? I had no idea what was going on. There were moments where I just didnt know what the f I was doing. I liked my scenes with Tom Welling, but I felt like the show was, for me, done when I left in season seven. Then I sort of did it for the fans and did it for me for closure and to say, Hey, I did come back. I did do it, and thats ultimately why."

cute how they compared him and smallville to marguiles and ER, but I guess they got the downturn in career arc right.

I thought he made a GREAT Lex. Best character on the show, well him and Lois.

I never watched this when it was on TV, but I just grabbed the first season on DVD for $3 at a used bookstore today!

:whee:

I need to catch up on Seasons 2-6 myself. I jumped ship a bit early (like TWD.) Really enjoyed the rest of the series (7-10.)

Right now, I'm revisiting Lois & Clark. Despite some hokey elements, it's more mature than I actually remember it being. Teri Hatcher is still the best Lois Lane of all time. Dean Cain had great chemistry with her too.

It's definitely not the Teri Hatcher from MacGyver or the production values and writing from the 70's Wonder Woman.

Maybe I should start a "Lois & Clark Revisited" thread as I go through them? hm

I never watched this when it was on TV, but I just grabbed the first season on DVD for $3 at a used bookstore today!

:whee:

I need to catch up on Seasons 2-6 myself. I jumped ship a bit early (like TWD.) Really enjoyed the rest of the series (7-10.)

Right now, I'm revisiting Lois & Clark. Despite some hokey elements, it's more mature than I actually remember it being. Teri Hatcher is still the best Lois Lane of all time. Dean Cain had great chemistry with her too.

It's definitely not the Teri Hatcher from MacGyver or the production values and writing from the 70's Wonder Woman.

Maybe I should start a "Lois & Clark Revisited" thread as I go through them? hm

It was through Lois and Clark and Smallville binge sessions that I hooked the Old Lady on superhero shows :cloud9: ....... there has been peace in the valley ever since :luhv: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Tom Welling And Michael Rosenbaum Express Interest In A SMALLVILLE Revival - But In Animated Form

oie_2s_Nu_N1_X7du_Hr.jpg

During a Smallville panel with Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum at Awesome-Con, both actors expressed interest in reprising their respective roles, albeit in a Smallville animated series!

A Smallville panel with Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum was held last weekend at Awesome-Con in Washington D.C. The panel featured a half-hour Q&A session, where one fan asked if Smallville could be brought back in live-action or in animated form on the DC streaming service. Tom Welling responded to the fan with: “I mean, animated could be fun.”

Michael Rosenbaum was also on board with the animated series idea:

“I said to Al [Gough, one of Smallville’s creators], we should do an animated Smallville. That would be huge! I mean, Smallville: The Animated Series, with all the real voices? And I wouldn’t have to shave my head! We’ve got to do that. Can you imagine us on mics doing the same dialogue?”

I've been slowly rewatching Smallville Seasons 6 through 10 as part of workout TV noise. Finally up to Season 8, Episode 8, 'Bloodline'.

Man, what an entertaining episode. I had forgotten Faora takes over Lois's body so as to make contact with Davis Bloome (Sam Witwer). And with Laura Vandervoort as Kara in the Phantom Zone, it makes for a great watch.

Was rewatching Smallville, and that Season 9 Episode 11 'Absolute Justice' is so fantastic.

Written by Geoff Johns, and directed by Tom Welling and Glen Winter (Smallville, Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Doom Patrol director).

So many solid characters in one episode. And well worth watching again and again.

I think I watched the entire series A-Z on TV. Just always happened to be on right after work in the AM and fit right into my relaxing-before-sleep time years ago.

It got too dramatic after Season 5, I think it was, and the drama lasted too long. It was a drag for a little bit. Overall it was a very good show, though.

12 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I think I watched the entire series A-Z on TV. Just always happened to be on right after work in the AM and fit right into my relaxing-before-sleep time years ago.

It got too dramatic after Season 5, I think it was, and the drama lasted too long. It was a drag for a little bit. Overall it was a very good show, though.

Seasons 6-10 are my go-to for Smallville, as after Season 1 I did find it to contain much CW drama mixed in too heavily.

Smallville Animated Revival Is Still Being Planned by Michael Rosenbaum & Tom Welling

Smallville just might return as an animated series if two of the show's lead stars get their way. In the Superman prequel series, Michael Rosenbaum played a younger version of the iconic villain Lex Luthor with Tom Welling also starring as a teenage Clark Kent. The series concluded its run in 2011 after ten seasons and more than 200 episodes, coming to an end just as Clark first suits up as the Man of Steel.

So, whatever became of Superman and Lex Luthor in the Smallville universe? Ten years removed from the finale, it seems unlikely that the show will continue with a reboot or sequel series. That doesn't mean that Rosenbaum and Welling are through playing these characters, as the actors are keen on reprising their respective roles as Lex and Clark in an animated series adaptation. Addressing the possibility in an Instagram Live Q&A with fans, here's what Rosenbaum had to say about the possible return of Smallville.

This isn't the first time Rosenbaum has mentioned his desire to make a Smallville animated series with Welling. In 2018, the pair appeared at AwesomeCon in Washington, D.C., where they were asked about a potential revival. Per CBR, Welling responded that "animated could be fun." For his part, Rosenbaum revealed that he's actually given that idea a lot of thought, at one point pitching the series to Smallville co-creator Alfred Gough.

"I swear to God, I brought that up to Al, the creator of Smallville, I said, 'We should do an animated Smallville,'" Rosenbaum said. "Can you imagine? That'd be huge! S mallville: The Animated Series, with all the real voices, and all the guest stars [...] bring 'em in, it'd just be cool."

The story of Smallville did get a brief continuation as the digital comic book Smallville Season Eleven, which debuted in 2012. Set after the events of the TV series, the comic features Clark now fighting crime as Superman. In 2019, Welling and Erica Durance (Lois Lane) would reprise their Smallville roles in the Arrowverse crossover event Crisis on Infinite Earths. Rosenbaum was offered the chance to come back as Lex Luthor as well, but turned it down as he wasn't allowed to first see the -script.

Smallville Animated Show With Original Cast In Development

Warner Bros. Television's popular superhero series Smallville is getting an animated version according to original star Tom Welling. Smallville earned a dedicated fanbase throughout its ten-season run from 2001-2011 on The WB, which eventually became The CW. Based on the DC Comics' Superman character, writing and producing partners Alfred Gough and Miles Millar developed the concept as a prequel to The Man of Steel. The show centered on Clark Kent (Welling) before he became Superman, coming to terms with his alien origins while navigating provincial life in the fictional town of Smallville, Kansas.

Now, Welling is giving the Smallville fandom even more to buzz about. While making a Cameo video for a fan (shared by tariel22 via blurayangel) Welling teased that he and Rosenbaum are working on an animated Smallville series with the original cast. Welling said:

"Michael Rosenbaum and I are actually working on an animated series to bring those characters back to life and use as many of the original cast members as possible. Don't tell anybody, though. It's a secret, we're still working on it."

Edited by Bosco685