• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW's Smallville revisited
2 2

113 posts in this topic

I still occasionally rewatch the 'Absolute Justice' episode of this show. It was a decent attempt at the JSA, and Dr Fate looked pretty darn good, still holds up, IMO. 

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment just announced the epic news that Smallville: The Complete Collection 20th Anniversary Edition will be leaping onto shelves in a single bound for the first time on Blu-ray this October 19, 2021. This set for the ultimate fan features all 218 episodes along with over 28 hours of bonus features from all 10 incredible seasons, plus Digital Copy, but only in the U.S. Blu-ray is priced to own at $179.99 SRP ($209.99 in Canada) and will also be available on DVD for $154.99 SRP ($184.99 in Canada).

Per Warner Bros. Home Video, here is the official description for this massive collection:

The groundbreaking, Emmy-winning 10-season hit that redefined the origins of the world’s greatest superhero is all here – from Krypton refugee Kal-El’s arrival on Earth through his tumultuous teen years to Clark Kent’s final steps toward embracing his destiny as the Man of Steel. Relive a decade’s worth of thrills in fantastic adventures full of action, heart, and humor in abundance, all anchored by the marvelous performance of Tom Welling at its center. Savor again the series’ thoughtful and imaginative integration and reinvention of the iconic characters of DC lore. And let your spirits be lifted, up and away.

Twenty years ago, audiences believed a boy would fly (someday).

Smallville debuted on The WB on Oct. 16, 2001, just four weeks after the Sept. 11 terror attacks shook the foundations of the United States. Audiences tuned in to see a hopeful vision of America, with the pilot telling the story of an alien growing up in Kansas, facing the challenges of the teenage years while feeling different. The show was as much about parenting as it was about superpowers.

Smallville, from creators Miles Millar and Alfred Gough, starred Tom Welling, a young actor with the good looks and Midwestern decency needed to embody a young Clark Kent. Smallville ran for 10 seasons and 217 episodes, becoming a favorite among members of the military fighting overseas in the wake of 9/11 and helping pave the way for the superhero-saturated era we live in today.

Despite its success, creators Millar and Gough faced an uphill battle to get the show off the ground. Few in Hollywood were interested, and Welling didn’t even want to audition for the role (at first). After all, this was years before superheroes became the biggest commodity in Hollywood. But the duo’s heartfelt pilot -script won over its actors, and the authentic performances of its cast won over viewers.

Here, the key players look back, with those sharing memories including Welling and the creators, as well as Michael Rosenbaum, Kristin Kreuk, John Schneider, Annette O’Toole, John Glover and Erica Durance.

For half of the show's run, Smallville fans had Phil Morris popping in from time to time as Detective John Jones -- also known as J'Onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter. It wasn't the character's first foray into live action, but it was certainly the first one that received positive attention -- in no small part because of Morris's own performance. Now, it's been about a decade since Smallville ended, and series stars Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum are working with co-creators Al Gough and Miles Millar to create an animated series based on Smallville, in which the pair could reprise their roles despite being much older than they were when the series finale aired.

Earlier this month, we spoke with Morris about his new film, Ghosts of the Ozarks. It's a supernatural Western in which he plays the most powerful man in town...a town haunted by mysterious forces. That presence and authority is something he used to good effect as J'Onn, and so we asked whether he would ever consider a return to the role, whether in the animated series or in some other capacity on TV.

"You know the answer is yes," Morris told ComicBook with a laugh. "You're like a good attorney; you know the answer. Yes, of course. I love J'Onn J'onzz, and I loved how he was rendered in Smallville. I would love to bring that rendition or an expanded rendition to whatever show they would want me to be in. I love comics, as you know -- I'm looking at my collection right now -- so yeah. Let me play. Give me free rein in that universe and I'll kill it, man. We'd have a great time."

Smallville stars Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum will launch Talkville, a Smallville rewatch podcast, next month. Debuting on July 13, the series will take a look back at Smallville from the beginning, hosted by the actors who played Clark Kent/Superman and Lex Luthor. The format has been popularized in recent years by series like Office Ladies and Fake Doctors, Real Friends, which take fans behind the scenes of The Office and Scrubs, respectively, with actors from the series being your guide to the stories that shaped your favorite TV shows.

Smallville premiered in 2001 on The CW, and since then, the network has not been able to shake the superhero bug. At present, they have Superman & Lois, which marks the first live-action TV outing for the Man of Steel since Smallville and the first to actively feature an in-costume Superman since Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman almost a decade earlier than that.

Smallville ran for ten seasons, with Welling as the series lead for the whole time. Rosenbaum was a series regular for the first seven seasons. The pair were both approached to reprise their roles in The CW's Crisis on Infinite Earths TV event, but Rosenbaum reportedly could not come to financial terms with the network for his cameo, so Welling and his on-screen Lois Lane Erica Durance were there instead.

There have been persistent rumors of a Smallville continuation in the form of an animated series, although nothing official has come out of Warner Bros. yet. The pair teased the project during their press tour for the Smallville 20th anniversary Blu-ray collection last year.

“Talk Ville,” from Cumulus Media, is set to premiere July 13, with new episodes dropping each subsequent Wednesday, available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Podcasts and other platforms. In the podcast series, Welling and Rosenbaum will rewatch each episode of the TV series show by show, sharing behind-the-scenes information and anecdotes. “Smallville” aired from 2001-10, initially on The WB before moving to The CW network; all 10 seasons are currently streaming on Hulu.