• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

I like how your podcast episodes are like a web with the interconnecting stories... this one can be a nice companion to go with the Scott Free, Scott Williams and Albert Moy episode playlist.  These  really capture the collecting scene from the 80-90s... now where's my timemachine! I feel the affection that everyone has for Richard Martines, a nice, fun guy with a great perspective on the hobby... he gives our hobby a good name!

Thanks Felix!!!

Edited by gumbydarnit

I remember when Scott Dunbier listed that Watchmen page for sale in the CBG.  Maybe he actually sold the page before the ad saw print ?  After seeing that page, I hemmed and hawed before deciding to call him.  I recall he said something like he could've sold that page a dozen times.

We are beyond excited to announce that TRADD MOORE will be appearing on our YouTube channel TONIGHT, Tuesday, April 25th, at 7PM PDT/10PM EDT!

You do not want to miss this rare live appearance by our young genius comics creator. We will be discussing the art from his first official solo series effort, the recently released DOCTOR STRANGE: FALL SUNRISE. This will be the first public showing of the original art, as Tradd will share his thoughts and process for each page of the first issue.

You can also consider this an art preview. Because Tradd has decided to make the entire DOCTOR STRANGE: FALL SUNRISE #1 available for collectors! You read that correctly. After years holding on to all of his art, he is letting go of this monumental #1 issue. This opportunity will happen soon; help prepare yourself by tuning in!

Tradd will also answer questions you may have about his art and career. So come join us tonight at 7PM PDT/10PM EDT at this link:

The Felix Comic Art Podcast LIVE (Episode 2): TRADD MOORE

And, yes, there will be a free prize for a lucky viewer...an original Tradd Moore sketch! Good luck all, see you soon!

Felix

250423144106MdAY4V7FqN.jpg

Thanks Felix for another great podcast! It was incredible to watch Tradd talk about each page in this impressive issue, his stylistic evolution is fun to watch. He’s always exploring and pushing the envelope of his style, no wonder he has such a rabid following.

Also CONGRATS on a quick complete selliout of the issue on his art drop!!! 

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 4/25/2023 at 12:56 PM, Nexus said:

We are beyond excited to announce that TRADD MOORE will be appearing on our YouTube channel TONIGHT, Tuesday, April 25th, at 7PM PDT/10PM EDT!

You do not want to miss this rare live appearance by our young genius comics creator. We will be discussing the art from his first official solo series effort, the recently released DOCTOR STRANGE: FALL SUNRISE. This will be the first public showing of the original art, as Tradd will share his thoughts and process for each page of the first issue.

You can also consider this an art preview. Because Tradd has decided to make the entire DOCTOR STRANGE: FALL SUNRISE #1 available for collectors! You read that correctly. After years holding on to all of his art, he is letting go of this monumental #1 issue. This opportunity will happen soon; help prepare yourself by tuning in!

Tradd will also answer questions you may have about his art and career. So come join us tonight at 7PM PDT/10PM EDT at this link:

The Felix Comic Art Podcast LIVE (Episode 2): TRADD MOORE

And, yes, there will be a free prize for a lucky viewer...an original Tradd Moore sketch! Good luck all, see you soon!

Felix

250423144106MdAY4V7FqN.jpg

I'd love to see more editions of the podcast/YouTube series like this. Page by page interview before the drop. It doesn't have to be a big thunderous event like a Tradd drop, it can be for whoever's latest, I find them very interesting.

On 4/28/2023 at 2:58 AM, redrighthand said:

I'd love to see more editions of the podcast/YouTube series like this. Page by page interview before the drop. It doesn't have to be a big thunderous event like a Tradd drop, it can be for whoever's latest, I find them very interesting.

If you landed one of the coveted Dr Stange pages from the drop, how cool is it that you can scrub through the podcast and hear Tradd discussing his thoughts on your very page! 

If all pages were sold in less than 30 minutes, there is still some more money that can go to the artist. I will always support artists that maximize their earning potential. Felix, please continue to drive the market higher for the artists you rep. 

Ken mentions a Swamp Thing exhibit at Kevin Eastman’s Words and Pictures Museum, details:

October 5 - December 12, 1993

Swamp Thing : A Retrospective

(Bernie Wrightson, John Totleben, Michael Zulli, Steve Bissette & Rick Veitch)

http://www.wordsandpictures.org/exhibits.cfm

I missed that one but did catch The Crow exhibit the following year…unforgettable.

Felix,
Yesterday Bryan Lee O'Malley streamed on Twitch whilst working on drawings.
He mentioned 20th Anniversary of Scott Pilgrim is next year.
Any chance to set up a CGC private signing / sketch / remarque opp?
Asking because I remember it was a mission back in 2014 (thank you again) to get my book signed.

Always enjoy your episodes Felix, well done.    I rarely listen to 'the stuff dreams are made of' but I happened to listen to the latest episode, also taking about the x wing and related items, right before you posted your new episode.   Interesting to see Dave letting go of pieces but those props don't pay for themselves!       I think many of us have been there in terms of buying something we really liked but then had to turn around and sell a few things we also liked in order to square up the math.    That's plain to hear throughout the episode and its a pretty relatable experience, just at a significantly higher dollar number than most.    Same process, same decisions, same emotional baggage!

Re: the hypothetical trade-off discussed... The Uncanny X-Men 141 cover is by far more superior to the Uncanny X-Men 137.  If only because of that dang "This Marvel Comic could be worth $2500 to you" banner.  I understand the appeal of the Daredevil 181 cover.  But I'll admit that I only caught the tail end of the Byrne and Miller runs.  And I would also take the 141 over the 181.

Best quote out of context: "1st appearance of Tigra's groomer"

Re: "from the collection of Dave Mandel"... I think, thanks to him having to offset the cost a certain DKR splash, I was able to get a piece from his collection.  I was actually trying to get it from him a few years before.

Of the pieces discussed that will leave Mandel's collection in the first wave, most / all are out of my budget.  But I think the carryover effect will be that other collectors will have to liquidate to offset their new buys and so on and so on.  I guess at some point, something will come along that will interest me.

Great episode!!!!

I have been following Stuff Dreams are Made Of over the last 3 seasons. David and Ryan are great to listen to, especially when talking about the upcoming prop auctions. They can be very informative and funny. Ryan leads from his brain he over analyzes the props he might bid one, David from the heart when the nostalgia really hits him. The episodes leading up to the Greg Jein auction was fun to watch.

I had dabbled in props before but recently I got two big items one in the Jein auction. I which caused me to let go of a few pieces of art. SO I know what David is going thru, on a much lower level. Some amazing pieces David is putting up in the Jan Ha auction, Daredevil #42 Colan is what really catches my eye but I already have a Colan DD from around the same time so I will just be a spectator. I look forward to the next Flix Lu podcast with Mandel to reveal what more he is letting go to fund his X-Wing. If there are OA collectors who have not watched the Stuff Dreams AR Made Of podcasts I highly recommend the most recent one "The Wives 2.0"

On 12/18/2023 at 7:20 PM, Will_K said:

Re: the hypothetical trade-off discussed... The Uncanny X-Men 141 cover is by far more superior to the Uncanny X-Men 137.  If only because of that dang "This Marvel Comic could be worth $2500 to you" banner.  I understand the appeal of the Daredevil 181 cover.  But I'll admit that I only caught the tail end of the Byrne and Miller runs.  And I would also take the 141 over the 181.

Best quote out of context: "1st appearance of Tigra's groomer"

Re: "from the collection of Dave Mandel"... I think, thanks to him having to offset the cost a certain DKR splash, I was able to get a piece from his collection.  I was actually trying to get it from him a few years before.

Of the pieces discussed that will leave Mandel's collection in the first wave, most / all are out of my budget.  But I think the carryover effect will be that other collectors will have to liquidate to offset their new buys and so on and so on.  I guess at some point, something will come along that will interest me.

The silver lining for us poorer collectors.

On 12/18/2023 at 10:27 PM, Brian Peck said:

I highly recommend the most recent one "The Wives 2.0"

that's the one I listened to as well - good episode, and relatable to those outside of props.