• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your most obscure WW2 covers
3 3

220 posts in this topic

War comics #8

British comic, I've only ever come across this issue and #3 but only own #8

Cool :applause:

This taught soldiers how to avoid hypothermia...

I just acquired one of these. Scarce?

Have only seen the one copy, but haven't been actively looking...

Well, that's says a lot! Thanks, Boot!

And this interesting comic meant to convince readers that the U.S. had no business getting involved in the war...

I love this… Any chance to see something of the content?

:baiting:

Thank you for your patience as I dug this out and scanned it. Thank you for showing interest in this rare comic. Only copy I've ever seen! Please let me know if you like it or if I can be of further service. Thanks again!

160030.gif.9902bfe909656de26460758a422a64f1.gif

160031.jpg.43fe087194e31944b48fd9dea1136c15.jpg

160032.jpg.bf14e5518f23ee74c45207c2063cb441.jpg

160033.jpg.1bf9e5ccf7e9a5cd45247bfa7dcf0b72.jpg

This taught soldiers how to avoid hypothermia...

I just acquired one of these. Scarce?

Have only seen the one copy, but haven't been actively looking...

Well, that's says a lot! Thanks, Boot!

(thumbs u It's an honor to be able to help a guy who helped educate me about old comics!

Cross posting this with the Promotional Comics thread.

Here is a 1943 promo comic called Cotton Goes To War.

WWII era comic book, produced by the United States Department of Agriculture, to help cotton farmers produce quality cotton for the war effort.

162882.jpg.5c1e1ec55e64820bb1fc1f6fd7d4fa0f.jpg

162883.jpg.078436124cf9c4d40701472360a0f94b.jpg

Thanks for the bump! :D

I still love this rarity of yours. I have a scarce german book that I just received which I will post. Maybe a thread about non-US comics rather than "most obscure covers", or a general thread about rarities from the pre-war and wartime period would be appropriate… hm

And this interesting comic meant to convince readers that the U.S. had no business getting involved in the war...

I love this… Any chance to see something of the content?

:baiting:

Thank you for your patience as I dug this out and scanned it. Thank you for showing interest in this rare comic. Only copy I've ever seen! Please let me know if you like it or if I can be of further service. Thanks again!

3 hours ago, circumstances said:

Cover date December, 1941. So it was on the stands before the attack on Pearl Harbor (I'd imagine).

There are ...according to the census... 13 copies of Bang-up #1 (pretty darn rare).

More mind-bogglers: Two copies of HIT Comics #18 (only 9 copies listed in the census; also dated 12/41, ...on the newsstand October 3, two months before Pearl Harbor)... :cloud9: :cloud9:

716ec883-a171-4eca-8a71-1c57b3b13b2f_zps  edited-image_zpskuq6kurf.png

One of the subtlest and most obscure WWII comics, PRIZE #20 hit the newsstands a month after Pearl Harbor, making a profound statement of patriotic unity after having endured great national loss.  It’s obscure because there are only four graded copies listed in the census (two 8.0 or above and two low grades).  Originally, this was an Ernie Gerber Photo-Journal “No Show” as no known copies of this issue were thought to exist at the time of publication.  While not a combat book, this is a clear example of America in a moment of national grief moving to a war footing while embracing pride in democracy...

dd07a1ae-8868-4d5d-acec-efa943736170_zps

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

One of the subtlest and most obscure WWII comics, PRIZE #20 hit the newsstands a month after Pearl Harbor, making a profound statement of patriotic unity after having endured great national loss.  It’s obscure because there are only four graded copies listed in the census (two 8.0 or above and two low grades).  Originally, this was an Ernie Gerber Photo-Journal “No Show” as no known copies of this issue were thought to exist at the time of publication.  While not a combat book, this is a clear example of America in a moment of national grief moving to a war footing while embracing pride in democracy...

A Gerber no-show didn't mean anyone thought it didn't exist, it just meant he couldn't find a copy to photograph.