• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Store from start to finish
1 1

132 posts in this topic

Just getting caught up and the space looks great. Love the light colored hard wood floors and all the windows. Now its your job to cover them all up with comic book posters like all the other comic book shops in my area.

Negative. That side isnt so to general public, just a side way to get behind the building and the main road in in front of the store. I can leave it free.

Havent been updating this so much, been busy doing stuff.

I said in another thread, nickel and dime. I have paid so much in 1 time fee's and set up fees and deposits. Even silly things like a chair. You go to ikea or walmart and get a folding chair for $20 or something. Go to any place that sells to businesses and they are $130. I also said in a other thread, im really cheap. Super cheap. I dont buy ketchup when they give packets away at fast food places. Same with sugar, napkins etc.

Fixtures are super expensive. But i have picked up great things for super cheap or free.

Im getting more fixtures today but in all i have spent under $2000 for fixtures. I definitely could have spent less. But ill go back a fight for a discount later.

Hired a moving company to move back stock long boxes into the store. Im not pulling my back out, no sir.

I thought i had like few long boxes than i did. I sold some in a bulk sale but they ended up moving over 200 long boxes.

Going to sleep

Havent been updating this so much, been busy doing stuff.

I said in another thread, nickel and dime. I have paid so much in 1 time fee's and set up fees and deposits. Even silly things like a chair. You go to ikea or walmart and get a folding chair for $20 or something. Go to any place that sells to businesses and they are $130. I also said in a other thread, im really cheap. Super cheap. I dont buy ketchup when they give packets away at fast food places. Same with sugar, napkins etc.

Fixtures are super expensive. But i have picked up great things for super cheap or free.

Im getting more fixtures today but in all i have spent under $2000 for fixtures. I definitely could have spent less. But ill go back a fight for a discount later.

Hired a moving company to move back stock long boxes into the store. Im not pulling my back out, no sir.

I thought i had like few long boxes than i did. I sold some in a bulk sale but they ended up moving over 200 long boxes.

Going to sleep

200 long boxes - definitely worth it to get a mover. I'm only moving around 50 long boxes and even that is a pain. Can't wait to see how it turn out.

So a little advice which is probably stupid but i had to learn the hard way.

Ask your realtor or landlord about the mail early on. I thought the mail would be delivered to the store. There is actually a post box outside the building that isnt in view. I had my accountant get me a new resale certificate and it was sent to the store. I find out you need the post office to come by and rekey it. After i pay the 25 for a rekey i find out its only one guy, once a week and in my case, he's taking a 2-3 week vacation. Anywho, so it looks like i wont get my resale certificate anytime soon. You need it to order from diamond :(. Also needs to be in the store somewhere. I asked if they could grab my mail and hold it, the guy i talked to told the carrier and, i kid you not, the carrier thought he was joking.

Ask your realtor or landlord about the mail early on. I thought the mail would be delivered to the store. There is actually a post box outside the building that isnt in view. I had my accountant get me a new resale certificate and it was sent to the store. I find out you need the post office to come by and rekey it. After i pay the 25 for a rekey i find out its only one guy, once a week and in my case, he's taking a 2-3 week vacation. Anywho, so it looks like i wont get my resale certificate anytime soon. You need it to order from diamond :(. Also needs to be in the store somewhere. I asked if they could grab my mail and hold it, the guy i talked to told the carrier and, i kid you not, the carrier thought he was joking.

Can't you set up a regular PO box to send all your business mail to? That way the only that gets sent to your store box will be junk mail. That is a situation you can control, and that $25 for the rekey would have paid for about 6 months of a decent sized PO box.

Can't you set up a regular PO box to send all your business mail to? That way the only that gets sent to your store box will be junk mail. That is a situation you can control, and that $25 for the rekey would have paid for about 6 months of a decent sized PO box.

-- does not help his current situation, though - his resale certificate is in the box now and that is needed for Diamond.

Any chance your state has an online site??? - Illinois - you get hardcopy but also all of your documentation is downloadable. I do not know specifically - if your state would allow a printout of the certificate for operating - but a pdf should work for diamond.

I did have a po box. thing is, the po box for my store would be 30 minutes away and as w16227 said, doesnt help me now :(.

-- does not help his current situation, though - his resale certificate is in the box now and that is needed for Diamond.

Any chance your state has an online site??? - Illinois - you get hardcopy but also all of your documentation is downloadable. I do not know specifically - if your state would allow a printout of the certificate for operating - but a pdf should work for diamond.

Ill have to check. My accountant did it so ill ask him to check as well. At this point, i just want my mail. Even if its all junk mail and the cert, i just want it. I missed the post carrier the other day by 5 minutes

I did have a po box. thing is, the po box for my store would be 30 minutes away and as w16227 said, doesnt help me now :(.

Ill have to check. My accountant did it so ill ask him to check as well. At this point, i just want my mail. Even if its all junk mail and the cert, i just want it. I missed the post carrier the other day by 5 minutes

bad news for you, but much appreciated advice for future store owners

thanks for the update

thanks for the update

nice update. the key guy just showed up and gave me the keys.

thanks for the update

nice update. the key guy just showed up and gave me the keys.

:applause:

haven't had an update in a while.

had sort of a soft opening.

haven't gotten any new stuff from diamond yet. just got my account last week actually.

The purpose of opening a store front was for buying collections mainly and I bought my first collection last week.

33 long boxes of stuff.

looked through 5 long boxes and did not see anything worth much before making an offer of $350 but closed the deal at $420.

included 2 small boxes of toys.

the next day I went through the boxes and pulled out 4 long boxes of better stuff.

out of the 4 long boxes of stuff I pulled out half a short box of the best stuff.

NM 98, Preacher 1, TOS 57, Brave and the bold 29, alias 1, NM 87, and other keys that I can't really remember right now. Was a nice buy.

bought some transformers the day after.

just really tired. been here everyday for weeks but its really fun.

haven't gotten any new stuff from diamond yet. just got my account last week actually.

The purpose of opening a store front was for buying collections mainly and I bought my first collection last week.

33 long boxes of stuff.

looked through 5 long boxes and did not see anything worth much before making an offer of $350 but closed the deal at $420.

the next day I went through the boxes and pulled out 4 long boxes of better stuff.

out of the 4 long boxes of stuff I pulled out half a short box of the best stuff.

NM 98, Preacher 1, TOS 57, Brave and the bold 29, alias 1, NM 87, and other keys that I can't really remember right now. Was a nice buy.

I'm looking for job, hire me!

33 long boxes of stuff.

I'm looking for job, hire me!

Ok

33 long boxes of stuff.

That's a great deal; must be the "store effect"?

People around here want $100 per longbox and it is definitely all junk.

1 1