• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN 1 & 2 appreciation thread
1 1

67 posts in this topic

Kevin Feige has noted Spider-Man 2 is the best comic book movie created to date. This lengthy and detailed review of the first two movies confirms why. Even noting how there wasn't even a plan for a sequel from the first movie, yet it was so well setup for future projects it flowed naturally.

And for me, Doc Ock is so incredibly delivered by Alfred Molina. If this was the villain performance for many of these superhero movies, we could have an extensive success list.

Unfortunately, Spider-Man 3 will not fit into any discussion about all-time best superhero movie. But there is talk off-and-on of a Spider-Man 3 Director's Cut using the extensive footage cut by the studio.

Spider-Man 3 Director's Cut Petition

:wishluck:

Alfred Molina was interviewed about a new performance, and the topic of Spider-Man 2 came up leading to that Really That Good review. Molina seems to still love what they did with his role and the movie overall, which is cool to read since it sounds like it was more about the craft than just a paycheck.

Alfred Molina On Dragons: Race to the Edge, Spider-Man 2, And If He'd Be Up For More Doc Ock

One thing that you said in that really stuck out to me is the idea that he has fun with it. That was something that for a while seemed to go out of fashion when villains were expected to be very gritty. I remember watching your Doctor Octopus and thinking that it was like this great, big, larger than life comic book depiction at a time when those weren't particularly fashionable but everybody fell in love with yours. Is it gratifying as it's circled back around to those sorts of characters being a little more common?

Yeah. What was so good and clever about Doc Ock in Spider Man 2 was that the way the character was written and the way he was developed, he'd started off as a very earnest, very sincere man. A man who was really trying to do some real good. He was a serious scientist who had found, he believed, a way of creating energy that was going to change the world, and change it in a good way. His first instinct was to do good. We saw him with his wife and we see him in a very real and very relatable context, and then this terrible thing happens, this awful accident. He's so committed to his work that when he loses, when it all blows up and he loses the ...

The great trick in Spider Man 2 was the inhibitor chip which he loses, so he loses all his inhibitions. He loses all sense of what's right and what's wrong, and he just focuses on what he needs to do. That larger than life thing grew out of a very real situation, and I think that's why it was so satisfying, for audiences, because Doc Ock didn't exist just as a cartoonish character. He didn't suddenly just turn up with all the arms and start killing people and wreaking havoc. He grew into it, as it were, and we see the development. We were witnesses to his destiny, which kind of, I think, is what audiences really locked onto.

Just as a quick aside -- it's very interesting to hear you analyze it that way, because there's a webseries called Really That Good, which looks at incredibly popular films and determines whether they hold up over time, and exactly what you said is the praise that somebody was placing on both you and the -script in that series recently. So if that's what you were going for, that's exactly where you landed.

Yeah. That's what we were all going for at the time, because these movies, there's a lot at stake in terms of making them successful and popular and appealing to audiences, and so there's a great deal of thought goes into why and how and where and what. We spend months and months talking and developing and analyzing how best to make this work, and I think it was really Sam Raimi's dream to make the villain absolutely grounded, and have him ... I remember the very first day when we first met, he and I, to talk about doing it, and I still hadn't been cast. It was like an audition really.

He said, "Do you have any questions?" I said, "Yeah. How do you see the villain? How do you see him?" He said, "I want him to be a good man who goes on an awful, terrible, terrifying journey." I kind of went, "Oh, yeah. That sounds great." It meant that the character was going to develop beautifully. It's all down to the writing in the end.

Spidey 2, in my book, probably the second best super hero film after Superman The Movie, with Iron Man and Cap/Winter Soldier right behind. Molina indeed was outstanding. Raimi brilliantly directed the scene in the hospital operating room where the doctors were about to cut off Octavius' new limbs and then horror ensued.

Thanks Bosco, that was really good.

It's been a few years since I've watched either film, this makes me want to dust them off and watch them again. Think I will. :)

I definitely got 'the bug' again after watching the review.

Sony should really get a clue and do that SM3 Director's Cut. Based on how much people loved the first two, a re-release of the third would probably be received with very positive results if done right.

The 1st two Spidey films were incredible and still hold up today. J.K. Simmons and Rosemary Harris were perfect as J. Jonah Jameson and Aunt May. It looked like they walked right out of the Ditko/Romita pages and into the movie screen.

Spider-Man 2 was my favorite of the first wave of *new* comic book movies (X-Men / year 2000 to present).

I think a few have surpassed it only recently (Avengers, Captain America 2, maybe Guardians).

But Alfred Molina was amazing.

If you haven't seen it, check out this clip -- his scene from Coffee & Cigarettes

I always thought the battle on top of the elevated train was one of the most comic book-like fight sequences I've seen...the scene with the bank robbery and the fight on the side of the building was spectacular as well. LOVED when he hurled the giant clock hands at Spidey and he catches one with his webbing and throws it back!